Advantages/Disadvantages - Highs/Lows & Ups/Downs of moving to & living in Costa Rica

J0E

Advantages/Disadvantages - Highs/Lows & Ups/Downs of moving to & living in Costa Rica

Unread post by J0E »

....since SeaMajor started this subforum, I'd like to hear what he has to say about it.

I mean, who wouldn't wanna move/live there? Sandy Beaches, wonderful weather, must be like Paradise.

Or is it more like - the novelty wears off after a while, life goes on and nobody where you live, the basic set of problems you encounter living in one place, are the same anywhere?

Anyways, it'd be interesting to read his take, or anyone else who's attempted a tropical lifestyle, or else know anybody who has.

Breakfall

Re: Advantages/Disadvantages - Highs/Lows & Ups/Downs of moving to & living in Costa Rica

Unread post by Breakfall »

I lived in the tropics for half of my life and it was absolute paradise!!!
The lows were bilharzia, cholera, tuberculosis and malaria...and the odd turd floating down the river.

JUST get your vaccines up to date Joe...and she'll be right mate!
:thumbup:

SCOUSE wrote:You are aware that the Saville account was just a troll alt? I chose that name for shock and trollin' effect, not as a reflection on myself.
If I actually was a p,edo. why the fuck would I draw attention to it by using a known p,do's name???
:(
Seamajor

Re: Advantages/Disadvantages - Highs/Lows & Ups/Downs of moving to & living in Costa Rica

Unread post by Seamajor »

J0E wrote:....since SeaMajor started this subforum, I'd like to hear what he has to say about it.

I mean, who wouldn't wanna move/live there? Sandy Beaches, wonderful weather, must be like Paradise.

Or is it more like - the novelty wears off after a while, life goes on and nobody where you live, the basic set of problems you encounter living in one place, are the same anywhere?

Anyways, it'd be interesting to read his take, or anyone else who's attempted a tropical lifestyle, or else know anybody who has.
Thanks for the interest Joe. Lived here for 12 years. I am a little reluctant to jump into it. If there is more interest, I'd be happy to tell all. Let's see how much encouragement I get.

Semen
asal

Unread post by asal »

You wrote about not having good restaurants SM. You like living there, but also return to the states often to feel like yourself. Is that how it is? Do you enjoy the coffee?

Do you have confidence in the medical system? Would you go back home if you got sick?

Do you have a lot of tico friends? Is it easy to mix with expats and locals?

How's crime there? How is it to deal with the police?

When I was there ... very, very long ago, there were soldiers on every corner. Is it still like that?

Do you change money at the bank? Are there people on the street who will change money with you?

Is San Jose boring? Would you live there?

Get in on it.
Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

It is a third world country. However tourism is king here.

Not that many good restaurants. True.
The coffee is killer. Everyone here drinks it.
Medical system? Only few experiences. Stitches in my head. Surfing accident. Check up with lab work. Still have coverage in the US.
Many many friends here. Ticos, expats from everywhere.
Soldiers? No army here. Probably police
Money. Right out of the ATM machine from my bank in Ca. Dollar is strong here.
San Jose is one giant traffic jam. There are a few nice parts of town. Never would consider living there.
I built a very nice house here when it was inexpensive. I continue to enjoy the hell out of it. I have everything I need here. I think about moving back a lot. I just renewed my residency. In two years I can apply for perm. residency. If Trump becomes pres. I will consider it. Still proud to be a citizen of the US.
Living here isn't for everyone. Additionally it's pretty expensive. I love the tropics and wave riding. End of story

Semen
asal

Unread post by asal »

Seamajor wrote:It is a third world country. However tourism is king here.

Not that many good restaurants. True.
The coffee is killer. Everyone here drinks it.
Medical system? Only few experiences. Stitches in my head. Surfing accident. Check up with lab work. Still have coverage in the US.
Many many friends here. Ticos, expats from everywhere.
Soldiers? No army here. Probably police
Money. Right out of the ATM machine from my bank in Ca. Dollar is strong here.
San Jose is one giant traffic jam. There are a few nice parts of town. Never would consider living there.
I built a very nice house here when it was inexpensive. I continue to enjoy the hell out of it. I have everything I need here. I think about moving back a lot. I just renewed my residency. In two years I can apply for perm. residency. If Trump becomes pres. I will consider it. Still proud to be a citizen of the US.
Living here isn't for everyone. Additionally it's pretty expensive. I love the tropics and wave riding. End of story
perfect summary

Thanks for answering my questions seamajor.

Get in on it.