Shaw forcing digital boxes on cable subscribers !!

Register accountRead the forum rules
YVR Man

Unread post by YVR Man »

what a pile of BS !

The ads mention that the Federal government has mandated digital for the airwaves ,

so only HD capable tv`s can receive the over the air digital signals ...

they also mention that if you are on satellite or cable -not to worry about the changes .

well , today all of the cable channels over 29 are offline !

you call SHAW and there is a two hour wait to speak with anybody ...

what a pile of BS ... :rules:

COMMENTS ?

"It's not within the frame of mind that created the problem that can solve it."
A favourite Einstein quote.

"The path to independence is self sufficiency and self reliance."
anon

Re: Shaw forcing digital boxes on cable subscribers !!

Unread post by anon »

Sounds like they're channeling Rogers.

Excelsior!
62 61 6e

Unread post by 62 61 6e »

This has been in the works for a long time. Get your heads out of your asses. The digital terminal is free. Just order one ffs.

me

Unread post by me »

YVR Man wrote:what a pile of BS !

The ads mention that the Federal government has mandated digital for the airwaves ,

so only HD capable tv`s can receive the over the air digital signals ...

they also mention that if you are on satellite or cable -not to worry about the changes .

well , today all of the cable channels over 29 are offline !

you call SHAW and there is a two hour wait to speak with anybody ...

what a pile of BS ... :rules:

COMMENTS ?
My channels are good through 400+.

John Cena

Unread post by John Cena »

YVR Man wrote: so only HD capable tv`s can receive the over the air digital signals ...
My mom's dad still use box tv and he gets full cable. You don't have to have HDTV, just need the shaw digital terminal/cable box.

Sharlee

Unread post by Sharlee »

It’s not Shaw that came up with this, YVR ... they’re simply complying with a decision from the CRTC which is the regulatory body in charge of Canadian broadcasting. You’ve had 2 years notice that this was coming ...

me, you're reaping the benefits of not living in a major city!

Don't believe everything you think.
John Cena

Unread post by John Cena »

With digital cable the government is able to monitor what you watch.

me

Unread post by me »

Sharlee wrote:It’s not Shaw that came up with this, YVR ... they’re simply complying with a decision from the CRTC which is the regulatory body in charge of Canadian broadcasting. You’ve had 2 years notice that this was coming ...

me, you're reaping the benefits of not living in a major city!
Yup....2 years.....and yet somehow I knew people would still complain. :D

YVR Man

Unread post by YVR Man »

Transition to Digital Television - SHAW CABLE ADVERT

The Government of Canada and the Canadian Radio–television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) have mandated that over-the-air television transmission must switch from analog to digital in many parts of Canada by August 31, 2011.

The majority of Canadians will not be affected by the transition. That's because more than 90% of Canadians today receive their television signals through a cable or satellite provider.

If you subscribe to a cable or satellite television service, such as Shaw Cable or Shaw Direct, or view your programming via the Internet, you will not be affected by this transition.

( This is NOT the case ) :thumbdown:

If you are not watching your television programming through cable or satellite and if you watch analog TV through over-the-air signals via rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna, you are most likely watching at least some analog over-the-air channels and may experience a loss of service.

If you have a TV in your home away from home that you watch with the use of rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna,
without a cable or satellite subscription, you may be affected by the transition.

If you are affected and you wish to continue viewing your local programming, you will need to do the following:

To help you ensure you are prepared for the transition to digital television, here are answers to some commonly asked questions:

How do I know if my market is affected?

Remember, if you watch television via cable, satellite or the Internet, you will not be affected by the transition to digital television. ( BS !!!)

If you watch television through over-the-air analog signals, those signals serving the following cities and their surrounding areas are required to change to digital transmission by August 31, 2011:

Read more

How can I confirm which local channels will be affected and where they will be moving after August 31, 2011?

The following information is for Global channels in specific Global markets only.

Read more

My television service is going to be affected. What are my options?

If your television service is going to be affected, first, confirm whether your TV has a digital tuner. Many newer TVs already have them built in. Look for the term "digital tuner," "ATSC tuner" or "integrated tuner" on your television or consult your owner's manual. If your TV does have a digital tuner, follow the steps in your manual to set it so that you receive digital signals.

Read more

What’s the difference between the Canadian Transition to Digital and Shaw’s Digital Network Upgrade?

As the world is going digital so is Shaw. In order to provide customers with more choice, Shaw will also be transitioning tiered channels to digital. We will ensure that you are prepared for any changes taking place so that you can continue to receive great choice and the best in technology from Shaw.

Learn More (PDF)

How are Shaw customers affected?

Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct customers are not affected because your television signals are already being obtained via cable or satellite. Any television sets connected to your cable or satellite service will not be affected by this transition.

Will coupons or converter boxes be made available to Canadians who are affected?

The U.S. government funded a subsidy program during its transition to digital television; however, the Canadian government has not set up such a program.

I live in a non-mandated area that isn't on the list. When is it going to digital?

Global is in the process of converting all 86 of its over-the-air broadcast facility locations to digital and will be adding new markets/locations on an ongoing basis until all markets have been completed by no later than August 2016.

To get more answers to your questions about the Canadian Transition to Digital Television, visit the Canadian Heritage website.

Global Television is owned and operated by Shaw Media, a division of Shaw.

"It's not within the frame of mind that created the problem that can solve it."
A favourite Einstein quote.

"The path to independence is self sufficiency and self reliance."
me

Unread post by me »

Remember, if you watch television via cable, satellite or the Internet, you will not be affected by the transition to digital television. ( BS !!!)
I take from that, that it means you will not have to purchase or change anything.

There may be a few 'disturbances'.....but how your tv is set up now will not be affected.

Breathe in s l o w l y through the nose...... exhale, through your mouth s l o w l y.

=))

the shark hunter
Location: Chumming For Hammerhead Sharks On This Wacky Vancouver Forum

Unread post by the shark hunter »

... go with rogers if it's available in your area ...

What The Duce!

Unread post by What The Duce! »

you do not need a digital box to watch tv with cable, shaw does not advertise basic cable because they dont want you to not have a box as it allows more revenue from PPV and VOD rentals and additional channels added later when they keep sending you mail giving special deals which are useless if you dont have the box which cost 2.99 per month

Disclaimer: This comment is for entertainment purposes only. The author does not necessarily condone or endorse its content and as such cannot be held criminally or civilly liable for said comment in any way. 2008 The Duce Corp.