I used to ask why - now I know.

Register accountRead the forum rules
evs

Re: I used to ask why - now I know.

Unread post by evs »

If you ever grew cell culture, you would be so disgusted at the very thought of lab meat.

~ plaid ~
Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

HeLa

Reel

Unread post by Reel »

evs wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 19:36 Yes, it’s carb related! So if you don’t eat meat and you cut down on carbs, what do you live on?
Cutting down is not the same as cutting out. I don't follow any specific diet. I think they are a waste of time. Varied, balanced, non-processed. Keep it simple.

My main issue is that I travel a lot and it's difficult not to eat heavy carbs, highly processed stuff, especially in some of the stranger parts of the world.

It's easy to judge because it's so hard to understand.
evs

Unread post by evs »

So what do you eat when you do cut carbs? You mentioned that you do that when you start getting sleepy or low energy.

~ plaid ~
Reel

Unread post by Reel »

Oh, it's more a matter of what I stop eating. I like donuts, candy, various processed snacks. I stop eating those for a while, and things correct, then I inevitably start eating them again because I like them. Otherwise, I eat a variety of healthy foods. Generally, there is little pattern or regularity to it, which I think is also beneficial.

I'm convinced that people grab onto these fad diets because their diet was poor, they go on a fad diet that cuts out the worst of what was bad about their diet, they feel better, and they think it's some kind of miracle. All they really needed to do was identify the few things that were causing them issues and cut down on those. There's no magic and no need for extremes.

My wife gained quite a bit of weight during pregnancy and early parent years. She made some diet adjustments and got a bit of exercise and lost it all. Her friends and acquaintances would ask her what her secret was and she'd tell them eat vegetables and exercise. It was funny watching them lose interest because the answer was simple, boring, but required a little bit of effort. They wanted a magic answer.

It's easy to judge because it's so hard to understand.
evs

Unread post by evs »

Interesting. I never liked junk food, like doughnuts cookies and such. I would have one to be social, not because I liked them. What I had to cut was whole grain bread, oatmeal, honey etc., things that would be considered healthy by today’s standards. I didn’t cut them because I was gaining weight but because I was so fatigued all the time I would get a death wish daily. I just wanted to - rest in peace forever.

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

ALL 'diets' are stupid...imo.
Common sense and listening to your body is the best guide.
Everybody knows when they feel best (in relationship to their diet) and when they feel poorly (in relationship to their diet).
It all boils down to moderation. Always has, always will.

Eat, drink and be merry.

evs

Unread post by evs »

I’m with you. Meem. Until a disease kicks in. Then you need some serious intervention just to keep on keeping:(

Btw cutting carbs is not a fad diet, it’s for life. There is no such thing as a small change.

Eat, drink, and be merry, on low carbs!

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

evs wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 21:41 I’m with you. Meem. Until a disease kicks in. Then you need some serious intervention just to keep on keeping:(

Btw cutting carbs is not a fad diet, it’s for life. There is no such thing as a small change.

I eat what I want, when I want and where I want...and I feel ok. :D

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

evs wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 21:41 I’m with you. Meem. Until a disease kicks in. Then you need some serious intervention just to keep on keeping:(

When disease kicks in...it's a whole new ball game. It's no different than finding new ways to navigate the world without the use of your legs. Change is imperative.
BUT...until disease kicks in...I will maintain that living a life of moderation could possibly avoid (avert ?) some of those issues.

evs

Unread post by evs »

As you should! Meem you are very lucky and thank god for that.

~ plaid ~
deadskinmask

Unread post by deadskinmask »

Reel wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 14:43 Part of the reason I remain a vegetarian now is that I find it fascinating how many people have this overwhelming need to justify their choice to me, one way or the other. It's almost universal. I don't care. I don't know why you care so much what I eat. But it is interesting that you do.

Having studied a good deal of psychology and sociology, it provides me with an almost immediate read on people, which can be invaluable in partnerships or negotiations.
i don't give a fuck what anybody eats.... along with "music" threds, food threds are of no interest to me whatsoever.... i just get really tired of folks who think a plant based diet makes them a better person or whatnot.... it generally just makes them insufferable cunts.... anyway.... carry on.... :(

I CAN'T MAKE YOU SEE THE LIGHT.... BUT I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT ON YOUR FACE....
weebles2

Unread post by weebles2 »

Anyone remember Bodybreak with Hal Jonstone and Joanne McCould?

evs

Unread post by evs »

I just looked that/them up. I guess you had to be there.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

reel wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 06:07 I don't know why you care so much what I eat. But it is interesting that you do.
Oops. I missed this. I was genuinely curious. Did you think I asked so I’d judge you? lol

And justifying my change or choice of diet; I am sorry if I over did it. I am flabbergasted by how much this change is helping me to feel stronger and healthier and I wish I could tell the world in case it helps someone else. I hope that anyone with even a smallest bit of inflammation in their body (joints, skin, digestive tract, etc.) or with anxiety and depression, apparently, (according to dr berry, dr chaffee and many others) - takes note.

Looking back my three persistent symptoms that were making my life miserable the past two years disappeared after 3 days of low carb were anxiety, fatigue and waking up too early in the morning. I always thought I had them because of too much coffee so I experimented with cutting coffee etc. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I just needed to cut bread and oatmeal.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Anywhoo.. plaid. :turned:

/thread

~ plaid ~
Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

The problem with all this is that modern meat and milk are full of hormones and antibiotics. I am not sure to which extent this impacts consumers' health.

weebles2

Mad Serb wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 11:06 The problem with all this is that modern meat and milk are full of hormones and antibiotics. I am not sure to which extent this impacts consumers' health.
All Canadian beef, poultry, pork and dairy products do not use any hormones.

We have a very protectionist market and why do not allow American dairy products for sale in Canadian grocery stores.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_a ... _in_Canada
Supply management FTW :cool:

evs

Unread post by evs »

Now that I look more into it, I think that all those anti-meat this and the other campaigns are just fear mongering and propaganda.

The entire plant based movement is very suspicious and it reeks of social conditioning to lower the average cost of living. What its instigators failed intake in account was the skyrocketing healthcare cost of the population dying of inflammation, anxiety, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, etc.

~ plaid ~
weebles2

I think the secret to any diet is just moderation since different strokes for different folks as they say.

As long as people are happy and feel good that is all that matters since that is how the cookie crumbles.

evs

Unread post by evs »

That’s what I thought all my life weebs but was proven wrong. Carbs are extremely addictive and have only long term toxicity for great majority of ppl, so everybody turns a blind eye to it (carbs toxicity).

We will all die of something but non-alcoholic fatty liver is a terrible option.

~ plaid ~
Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

deadskinmask wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 06:07 i don't give a fuck what anybody eats.... along with "music" threds, food threds are of no interest to me whatsoever.... i just get really tired of folks who think a plant based diet makes them a better person or whatnot.... it generally just makes them insufferable cunts.... anyway.... carry on.... :(
I don't get that vibe from Reel.

My meat manager is vegan but he doesn't make a big deal out of it. It was a personal decision. That being said, this guy is a flakey motherfucker. He lives in a tiny home with his wife and kids. He doesn't want to be here. I'm going to suggest that he move to Alabama to become your 'neighbor.' :D

roll me up and smoke me when I die
evs

Unread post by evs »

A vegan flakey? coincidence??:))
I don't get that vibe from Reel.
me neither and i didn't read skinz post as him implying that reels is "an insufferable cunt". unless a label is assigned personally, it is not to be taken personally. :rules:

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Reel wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 08:35 Cutting down is not the same as cutting out.
i don't know if these are late edits, but i suspect that my reading was terrible. I never saw this either. I will say this - portion control diets are literally impossible to maintain over a longer period of time. i saw people close to me do it all their lives and they were the very demonstration of the saying - "i'll die fat and hungry".

~ plaid ~
mimi

Unread post by mimi »

Is this the same guy ?

evs

Unread post by evs »

Yes!

~ plaid ~
J0E

Unread post by J0E »

evs wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 21:13Yes!
Are you a Carnivore, Evs!?!

Do you KILL what you EAT with your BARE HANDS?!

You might think different about eatin' our po' brother 'n sister creatures if ya knew better...Evs!

mimi

Unread post by mimi »

J0E wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 21:21
evs wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 21:13Yes!

You might think different about eatin' our po' brother 'n sister creatures if ya knew better...Evs!
In all these years, I never knew you were a vegetarian.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Um. Are you confused about the term carnivore, Joey?

~ plaid ~
J0E

Unread post by J0E »

mimi wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 21:22
J0E wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 21:21

In all these years, I never knew you were a vegetarian.
Have a conscience, eh Evs? :eyebrow: