LONGSHOREMEN @ DELTA PORT

Register accountRead the forum rules
Delta

Unread post by Delta »

What work do the longshore guys do at Delta port ? I,ve heard they make $30+ an hr . Thats alot of money so the work must be really hard . What exactly does longshore work involve and is it easy to get a job there ?

Itsy Bitsy

Re: LONGSHOREMEN @ DELTA PORT

Unread post by Itsy Bitsy »

The work isn't hard so much as it is dangerous... and as for as I know most of them make way more than $30/hr. It is nearly impossible to get a job there though.

Delta

Unread post by Delta »

Itsy Bitsy wrote:The work isn't hard so much as it is dangerous... and as for as I know most of them make way more than $30/hr. It is nearly impossible to get a job there though.
Wow more than $30 an hr - whats dangerous about the longshore work ?

weebles

Unread post by weebles »

unloding cargo from massive ships with tons working people close to very heavy machines that can kill you or stuff could fall on you or you are handling toxic dangerous chemicals that can kill you if handled improper.

Superchecker

Unread post by Superchecker »

Here is a thought: Google LONGSHOREMAN VANCOUVER and click onto the union website, which has links to all of the various ports here in BC...

"Westshore terminals" is the one operating at Superport-South Delta....

ConanDoyle
Location: The Very Beautiful, Southern Okanagan Valley/Gods Country

Unread post by ConanDoyle »

weebles wrote:unloding cargo from massive ships with tons working people close to very heavy machines that can kill you or stuff could fall on you or you are handling toxic dangerous chemicals that can kill you if handled improper.
how about being involved in illegal activity...that [pays well]

"dont adjust the world the problem is only temporal"...and, [a mind is like a parachute, it works best when opened.]
Booby Hatch

Unread post by Booby Hatch »

:eyebrow:

Booby Hatch

OP, I mean.

Booby Hatch

Study medicine in university. It will be easier in the long run.

Brutus

Unread post by Brutus »

Shut up Boob, don't you be giving out advice...fucktard...

All I want for Christmas is a Mistletoe belt buckle.
Booby Hatch

If you really want a dock job, get a trade, and start early, like at eighteen. They do everything, by the way. Huge diversity in jobs. Like I said. Go into Law or Medicine. It will be easier for you.

Booby Hatch

Brutus, The Baby Boomers took away everything you got, and everything you gonna got. :empathy:

Brutus

Unread post by Brutus »

Boob, who fucking cares, go and get a life ffs...

All I want for Christmas is a Mistletoe belt buckle.
runs with scissors

Unread post by runs with scissors »

Delta wrote:What work do the longshore guys do at Delta port ? I,ve heard they make $30+ an hr . Thats alot of money so the work must be really hard . What exactly does longshore work involve and is it easy to get a job there ?
I am not a longshoreman, but I can answer some of your questions...

An entry level position pays low $30's/hour for dayshift, low $40's for afternoon, and low $50's for graveyard, if I'm not mistaken.

The work is not always hard. Working the booth, checking in cans, etc. is not hard work. However, I'm sure some of the work can be potentially dangerous, as can be expected in a facility that essentially loads and unloads cargo ships. Accidents can happen. I'm sure there are a few jobs there that do require quite a bit of physical work also. Operating large machinery and equipment safely around a busy environment requires exceptional hand-eye coordination and non stop focus.

Is it easy to get a job there? The short answer is no. I have tried on and off for years to get in as a labourer, to no avail. The only time I even came close is when they asked if I was a certified electrician, which I'm not...