coast mountain bus

Register accountRead the forum rules
J0E

Re: coast mountain bus

Unread post by J0E »

Superchecker wrote:
hookup11 wrote:Hehey superchecker.....now that all training classes are full and training is six weeks long...is there a chance a few don't make it through and a need for another class to be scheduled......

ALL CMBC DRIVER HIRING FOR 2012 HAS COME TO AN ABRUBT HALT!! MAJOR FUNDING CRISIS!! HIRING FREEZE!! COMPANY TRYING TO LAY OFF THE NEWEST 20 CONVENTIONAL OPERATOR HIREES! UNION TRYING TO FIND-NEGOTIATE ALTERNATE POSITIONS FOR THEM...

...and I bet these hirees are highly experienced and qualified drivers. eg. - Class 1 or 2 drivers with at least 3 years of driving experience.

Somehow in difficult economic times with tight budgets, I don't think that TransLink wants to take a chance on inexperienced drivers who take much longer to train & cost them that much more money and time to get going.

...unless it's someone with connections or visible minority or female.

At least if I was the hiring manager, I'd go for the Cream of the Crop

hookup11

Unread post by hookup11 »

thats great news!....hopefully they will also fill another class of drivers soon after??

hookup11

From what i can remember it seems they usually need drivers before back to school begins.....and i think i remember my interviewer telling me they loose almost 50-70 bus drivers every year to promotions/quit/transfers etc...so even without the budget cut back there still a need for drivers??..and once they do add more routes then theyll need even more.....

hookup11

all these plans that have been put on hold are causing the hiring freeze..but even without the expansion of new routes they will need new drivers to fill current positions with current routes just because of turnover due to transfers,quits, promotions etc.....so im keeping faith a small hiring will be done before...because my application is put on hold for 1 year which means it expires in april and after that i will have to re apply and start from scratch...

hookup11

im interested in moving if it is a fly in and fligh out opportunity in BC...got a electrical background that i would like to do....

hookup11

im interested in moving if it is a fly in and fligh out opportunity in BC...got a electrical background that i would like to do....

hookup11

thats great to hear...so they 10 stilll waiting....

hookup11

hey superchecker if this gets finalized by november you think they will hire more operators...

http://www.vancouversun.com/TransLink+f ... story.html

hookup11

hey superchecker lots of rumblings out CMB ..going on strike??? maintenance staff being laid off about 40....is that all mechanics..or combination of staff...any electricians??

asap

Unread post by asap »

Hey superchecker, i have been put on a freeze for hiring at cmbc for 1 year. any idea if the people on freeze will get hired b4 there 1 year is up? thanks

asap

Unread post by asap »

Thanks S.C

hookup11

hey superchecker just got an email to schedule me for some training classes in 2013.....a day after i read about fair increases,,,not sure if they are linked....

asap

Unread post by asap »

hi hookup11, congrats. i was told right b4 i was going in for my medical. that they were not hiring anymore. so did u get an email to do the medical and criminal. and a date for your class, or do you go in for medical in 2013. thanks

Bertdogg

Unread post by Bertdogg »

Hey hookup11. Good stuff! What date did they give you? I am waiting as well. Thx.

asap

Unread post by asap »

Hi superchecker. can you tell me what is done in the medical exam. what are they looking for? is there a drug test? if u fail can you do it again? thanks

woodywoodman

Unread post by woodywoodman »

asap wrote:Hi superchecker. can you tell me what is done in the medical exam. what are they looking for? is there a drug test? if u fail can you do it again? thanks

I was also wondering what's involved in the medical exam. That's my next step in the process.

woodywoodman

I just completed my criminal record search. Next is the medical exam. Just wondering if anyone has failed the medical? This has been a year long process for me, I'd hate to get bumped out on a medical, even though I'm sure I'll pass.

woodywoodman

Medical exam tomorrow. Told me i have to give a urine sample.

Wish me luck.

woodywoodman

Well i passed the doctors physical.
Had to do eye, hearing tests. Blood test to check blood sugar. Had to lift some weights and do some situps. And of course pee in a bottle.
Pretty sure that is last step.

Now I wait to hear back again.

stingray

Unread post by stingray »

Congrats! A friend of mine has worked as a conventional operator for 4 years. So far he's still a junior and has to get up at 4:15AM everyday. The only thing he wants to do after work is to sleep. As far as I know, CMBC do fire some drivers every month. The first year will concentrate on the most difficult routes such as Hastings. As a new driver, you are not allowed to make mistake or you might lose ur job very soon. So my friend told me that if you really want to be a conventional operator, the best way is to start as a community shuttle driver and work for a few years. Once you get the seniority, you can choose to be a big bus driver anytime and you don't need to do the most difficult routes. But if you start as a conventional driver, you'd better have a rather strong heart and physical fit. Good luck.

ProudCanadian

Unread post by ProudCanadian »

I did my medical last week and was told to wait until training dates are finalized.

woodywoodman

stingray wrote:Congrats! A friend of mine has worked as a conventional operator for 4 years. So far he's still a junior and has to get up at 4:15AM everyday. The only thing he wants to do after work is to sleep. As far as I know, CMBC do fire some drivers every month. The first year will concentrate on the most difficult routes such as Hastings. As a new driver, you are not allowed to make mistake or you might lose ur job very soon. So my friend told me that if you really want to be a conventional operator, the best way is to start as a community shuttle driver and work for a few years. Once you get the seniority, you can choose to be a big bus driver anytime and you don't need to do the most difficult routes. But if you start as a conventional driver, you'd better have a rather strong heart and physical fit. Good luck.

Did you mean 'hire some drivers every month'?