I've Started Doing Push-Ups Again!

Register accountRead the forum rules
the shark hunter
Location: Chumming For Hammerhead Sharks On This Wacky Vancouver Forum

I've Started Doing Push-Ups Again!

Unread post by the shark hunter »

... it all started when i was a teenager in high school ...

... i had this nazi gym teacher who one day out of the blue demanded that everyone in the class do twenty push-ups. well, i was a skinny hundred pound weakling and i couldn't even do half a dozen. and i was LIVID! i was supremely insulted that a teacher would demand we do something hard like that without any warning -- something a few of us were incapable of doing altogether. it was humiliating ...

... so, you guessed it, i started doing push-ups at home to prepare for the next unexpected push-up drill. however, it was never again required in any gym class. nonetheless, even though i fucking hated that gym teacher, he did get me doing exercises at home ...

... in my twenties and thirties i used weights but for the last decade i haven't done any upper body exercises, just tons of bike riding ...

... however, in an effort to improve my physical fitness at this next juncture in my life i've commenced doing push-ups again, starting slowly but increasing the frequency a little every week ...

... how about you? any of you do push-ups or sit-ups or anything like that?

asal

Re: I've Started Doing Push-Ups Again!

Unread post by asal »

Pushups! I like them.

Get in on it.
the shark hunter

asal wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 11:40 Pushups! I like them.
... you do them too? i find they invigorate my system somehow, they get the juices flowing and i feel so good ...

asal

Unread post by asal »

the shark hunter wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 11:42
asal wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 11:40 Pushups! I like them.
... you do them too? i find they invigorate my system somehow, they get the juices flowing and i feel so good ...
I've been doing squats and pushups recently. They make me feel strong and energized. Yesterday I wore myself out though :D

I've been squeezing my abs, arms and legs while I'm doing those exercises.

Get in on it.
the shark hunter

:thumbup:

Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

Im glad spring is here! Nicer days means Lo and I go for walks at the lake and then do some yoga. On my own at home I do stretching, sit ups and leg lifts...I should really lift my weights for my arms but I get enough doing other shit daily.

:purdy:
the shark hunter

Berry Sweet wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 13:27 Im glad spring is here! Nicer days means Lo and I go for walks at the lake and then do some yoga. On my own at home I do stretching, sit ups and leg lifts...I should really lift my weights for my arms but I get enough doing other shit daily.
... sounds good, Berry. thank you for chiming in!

Guitarman

Unread post by Guitarman »

i bought some 25 pound weights...every other day i lift them in about 5 different ways...it doesn't build much muscle...but together with a half mile run it helps keep me in shape...

asal

Unread post by asal »

Anyone do planks?

Get in on it.
Munday

Unread post by Munday »

asal wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 14:35 Anyone do planks?

Your weird :thumbup:

This poster strongly disavows any knowledge about any subject and furthermore takes no responsibility for any comments posted under the name of Munday.
yorkcountykid

Unread post by yorkcountykid »

I thought asal was ok! grrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the shark hunter

Guitarman wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 13:29 i bought some 25 pound weights...every other day i lift them in about 5 different ways...it doesn't build much muscle...but together with a half mile run it helps keep me in shape...
... doesn't build much muscle? you'd think it would build some. must keep you nicely toned though. you sound very physically fit, Guitarman!

the shark hunter

... nope. what are planks, asal?

asal

Unread post by asal »

the shark hunter wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 12:00
... nope. what are planks, asal?
The same as a pushup but you stay still for a length of time.

Get in on it.
Richard Kuklinski

Unread post by Richard Kuklinski »

When I was in University I used to do push-ups during commericals while watching tv. During a one hour show you can get as many 200 in during the commercial breaks. After a few years I was doing over 800 push-ups and 500 sit-ups everyday. Now I just do 100 in the morning and I am done. You can get really cut just doing a few hundred push-ups a day.

9 incher/160 IQ

Unread post by 9 incher/160 IQ »

You can put your feet up on a chair or go narrow/wide with the hand width to hit the chest, triceps and deltoids differently.

Fuc# 0ff.
Richard Kuklinski

Job wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 12:59 You can put your feet up on a chair or go narrow/wide with the hand width to hit the chest, triceps and deldoids differently.
EXACTLY! The are really no limits to what you can do without weights. A few years ago a bizarre but scary looking mother-fucker named Charles Bronson "most violent prisoner in Britain", not the actor but the criminal wrote a book called, SOLITARY FITNESS that shows you hundreds of ways to isolate and train specific muscle groups without weights.

Still a scary looking fucker at almost 70...

9 incher/160 IQ

At about 35 seconds in they first show the bodybuilding contesants from right to left. The fourth guy along is a short black guy in a black speedo named Henry Caulker. Former Mr. Canada etc. This is the Mr. Universe Masters, which is the Mr. Universe for older competitors. I don't think he even placed in this event. Anyway I met him years later while taking business admin in Kelowna. He was in his late sixties or into his seventies by then and was more muscular then than he was in this 1997 video and still lifted more weight than most people. Bench press 360 etc. Still worked as a bricklayer and trained people for free at the raquet and fitness club where I worked out.

He would not even talk to people he thought weren't 100 percent commited and even then only after seeing you work hard for months. Eventually he began spotting me, giving tips and encouragement. He had a hulk hogan kind of mustache when I knew him, white with age like the hair on his head would have been if he had any. I was taking alot of Creatine then. Do people still use it?

Fuc# 0ff.
9 incher/160 IQ

Oops. Here is the video I mentioned in the previous post. He is the fourth in the lineup when the start to show them at about 0:35.

Fuc# 0ff.
asal

Unread post by asal »

Richard Kuklinski wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 13:16
Job wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 12:59 You can put your feet up on a chair or go narrow/wide with the hand width to hit the chest, triceps and deldoids differently.
EXACTLY! The are really no limits to what you can do without weights. A few years ago a bizarre but scary looking mother-fucker named Charles Bronson "most violent prisoner in Britain", not the actor but the criminal wrote a book called, SOLITARY FITNESS that shows you hundreds of ways to isolate and train specific muscle groups without weights.

thanks Mr. Kuklinski. I looked him up and people who read the book said he did sets of 250-500 pushups alone, not counting other exercises.

Get in on it.
Markus

Unread post by Markus »

200- 4 sets of 50 push-ups - 90 minutes before bedtime, daily for the last 20 years.

set 1 - standard
set 2 - diamond
set 3 - wide
set 4 - standard

I find push-ups easier at night than early morning.

Morning is rope-skipping time for me... 20 minutes

afternoon is free-weights for 45 minutes.

NO FLESH SHALL BE SPARED
yorkcountykid

Richard Kuklinski wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 12:54 When I was in University I used to do push-ups during commericals while watching tv. During a one hour show you can get as many 200 in during the commercial breaks. After a few years I was doing over 800 push-ups and 500 sit-ups everyday. Now I just do 100 in the morning and I am done. You can get really cut just doing a few hundred push-ups a day.
at my max, 14 yrs old, I could do fifty push ups and one hundred sit ups with no breaks. I could just barely do a one arm push up.

yorkcountykid

Richard Kuklinski

asal wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 16:23

thanks Mr. Kuklinski. I looked him up and people who read the book said he did sets of 250-500 pushups alone, not counting other exercises.
I just got back for my run with the dog and i am gassed...He manages to do 2,500 - 3,000 push ups in a day. I suppose prison will do that.. When I was around 20 I tried to see how many push ups I could do in a 24 hour period....I did 1,200 and felt like shit for days later. I tried to model myself after Herschel Walker a former NFL running back. He used to DAILY do 1,500 push-ups and and 1,000 sit-ups.....

He looks like this at 56... (the pic was taken a year and a half ago so he was only 53).

the shark hunter

... wow, some hardcore physical fitness folks here on the forum. oh, and thanks for filling me in on what planks are, asal ... :thumbup:

J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Richard Kuklinski wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 21:15

I just got back for my run with the dog and i am gassed...He manages to do 2,500 - 3,000 push ups in a day. I suppose prison will do that.. When I was around 20 I tried to see how many push ups I could do in a 24 hour period....I did 1,200 and felt like shit for days later. I tried to model myself after Herschel Walker a former NFL running back. He used to DAILY do 1,500 push-ups and and 1,000 sit-ups.....

He looks like this at 56... (the pic was taken a year and a half ago so he was only 53).

As much as he tries to mask his age, he looks old. Human body loses it'd supple appearance and muscle loses its elasticity.

asal

Unread post by asal »

J0E wrote: 25 Mar 2017, 09:17
Richard Kuklinski wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 21:15

As much as he tries to mask his age, he looks old. Human body loses it'd supple appearance and muscle loses its elasticity.
He looks amazing. That pic is inspiring and motivating. Maintaining muscle mass helps maintain your bones. No matter your age, you can build and maintain muscle.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw26.htm
One note here is that doing exercise will prevent bone and muscle loss to a greater extent as seniors age. Since testosterone slopes off as we get older muscle mass cannot be maintained and therefore results in muscle loss. Bone mass is also reduced because when we age our bodies aren't capable of doing as much physical activity as it was before and therefore the density of the bones decreases. So basically exercise acts as something to slow down the process of both muscle and bone loss.

Get in on it.
asal

Unread post by asal »

Get in on it.
J0E

Unread post by J0E »

Herschel walker claims that he hardly eats anything and does a regimen of pushups situps every day. I used to be skepticsl, but then he also indicated he was fat as a child. So maybe if he ate 3 square meals like everyone else he might be obese. So I see his logic. Also, he may also be an example of an extreme personality. He claims to have multiple personality disorder.

Herschel Walker: 'Tell the World My Truth' - ABC News http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=4643971&page=1

It may have enabled him to be an overachiever

asal

Unread post by asal »

Get in on it.