I used to ask why - now I know.

Register accountRead the forum rules
evs

I used to ask why - now I know.

Unread post by evs »

Remember endless debates on this forum about why are people around us so fat?? Why are humans dying sick, hungry, and fat, at alarming rates?

This doctor has an answer. I feel so educated after watching a few of his videos, it’s not even funny. Everything I believed in most of my life about nutrition (and pharmaceuticals) was bunk. The only reason I mostly stayed slim throughout my life, as well as some of you, was because of our high tolerance for carbs and plants, not because carbs or plants were ever good for us.

Please watch and comment.

~ plaid ~
J0E

Re: I used to ask why - now I know.

Unread post by J0E »

I thought you said you were 'chunky' at some point in your life, evs.

asal

Unread post by asal »

Keto doesn't work? Keto harder. :rolleyes:

Get in on it.
Sargent Smellibitz

Unread post by Sargent Smellibitz »

I eat mostly animals with veggies on the side.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Sargent Smellibitz wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 19:22 I eat mostly animals with veggies on the side.
Exactly. Proper human diet or phd. I do too. Not sure about Aussie land but here obesity is incredibly prevalent. It’s depressing. What’s even more depressing is seeing the abundance of high sugar processed foods in supermarkets and ppl who buy them.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Another excellent video. Joe, you should watch it, considering your struggle with obesity.

~ plaid ~
Pantalon de Singe

Unread post by Pantalon de Singe »

Dr is right on the money. The medical world in general seems to know SFA about or doesn't care about nutrition. All they want to do is treat poor nutrition outcomes with pharmaceuticals. About 6 years ago I had a bit of an extended stay at a BC hospital. They started freaking out over my blood sugar levels rapidly increasing, I told them on several occasions it was because they were feeding me shit. Most meals were about 90% carbs and snacks were always fruit juice, tea or coffee with 2 packs of sugar (no sweeteners available) with cookies or pastries. Their brilliant solution was putting me on insulin. A week later when the floor doc wanted to put me on some 'new' blood sugar control drug that can be dangerous to your pancreas (I read up on it) I finally flipped out. I told them I wanted access to a special menu to pick and choose everything I was given to eat and if I couldn't drop my sugar to absolutely normal within 5 or 6 days I would apologize and take their pills with no further complaint. After much bitching from the kitchen and facility *cough* nutritionist they accepted my challenge and they lost as did big pharma.

An aside...the majority of the nurses 'got' what I was saying, the doctors not so much. I guess nurses aren't wined and dined by pharma sales reps.

˙ǝlʎʇs ɯnɹoɟ ʇlnɐɟǝp ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉsn pǝʍǝᴉʌ uǝɥʍ (ʞooqʇǝN ,,ᄅƖ) ʎɐldsᴉp xd 89ㄥ × ㄣᄅ0Ɩ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɐ uo (ɯɔ Ɛ~) ʇɥƃᴉǝɥ uᴉ ,,lɐɯɹoN,, ǝzᴉs ʇxǝʇ ɟo sǝuᴉl ϛ uɐɥʇ ǝɹoɯ ou ǝq plnoɥs sǝɹnʇɐuƃᴉS
evs

Unread post by evs »

Excellent point. People with common sense get it. The one and only nutrition advice my family doctor gave me as soon as my kids turned two was to now start buying skim milk for them instead of normal (full fat). I guess she said that so they wouldn’t be gaining extra weight? I went with it until recently and now looking back think what a terrible advice that was to deprive normal, active toddlers of full fat milk. The severe lack of saturated fats along with a huge carb excess is exactly why people around us are so overweight - they are never satiated. I love his comment on ozempic etc. That’s a tragedy in the making in itself. I bet you Ely Lilly is already budgeting for the class action suit.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

Another food for thought; all autoimmune diseases including the most severe, ms, go into remission on animal based diet.

~ plaid ~
Seamajor

Unread post by Seamajor »

Watched most of the video. Thought it was right on. No sales pitch at the end was encouraging . The only red meat I’ve been eating lately is Yellow fin tuna. It’s the season, and cheap.

weebles2

Unread post by weebles2 »

So the healthy choice for breakfast is a pan seared T-bone steak and eggs with a dash of Tabasco then wash it down with 2% milk

Ron Swanson would be proud :D

weebles2

I do not know if I could completely give up complex carbs just like I could not give up drinking coffee completely.

soon

Unread post by soon »

somewhere along the way officials decided too much red meat was bad for the heart.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

Our bodies were made to move and work. I do believe out bodies were made to eat grains, fruits and vegetables with the occasional meat. Meat should only be eaten in a holiday or Sundays.

Problem today is, there's too much access to bad food choices and they're readily available.

:purdy:
evs

Unread post by evs »

That is what I thought until recently ber but I don’t think that’s right anymore. Meat is needed every day, especially for those over 50 and those below 20. The 20-50 crowd is allowed to risk it, but definitely, if they wish to achieve peak success in their lives, they should eat meat daily.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

weebles2 wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 10:15 I do not know if I could completely give up complex carbs just like I could not give up drinking coffee completely.
Of course you could. It’s addiction like any other.

~ plaid ~
evs

Unread post by evs »

soon wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 12:52 somewhere along the way officials decided too much red meat was bad for the heart.
Don’t get me started. And they keep selling us bullshit about plant based food daily, romanticized via Netflix and Hollywood while humanity is dying of cardiovascular and diabetes nightmare. And that’s those who somehow manage to not suffer and die from a severe autoimmune disease or cancer. Meanwhile, all of the above has shown to go into remission on animal based food.

~ plaid ~
Sargent Smellibitz

Unread post by Sargent Smellibitz »

Berry Sweet wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 14:24 Our bodies were made to move and work. I do believe out bodies were made to eat grains, fruits and vegetables with the occasional meat. Meat should only be eaten in a holiday or Sundays.

Problem today is, there's too much access to bad food choices and they're readily available.
No.

Meat or animal products every day with whatever veggies and fruits are in season is the ideal diet.

Carbs should ideally be eaten by animals, THEN WE EAT teh animalsz.

Mad Serb

Unread post by Mad Serb »

I knew about carbs, but plants?
So I should reduce steak & salad to steak?

evs

Unread post by evs »

Only if you have inexplicable joint pain or diverticulitis or Crohn or etc.

I had neither of these issues, my problem was extreme fatigue. I was able to go to bed around 9, wake up around 8 and still be tired. I thought that I have to retire as I couldn’t see myself working for another 15 years feeling like this. I also don’t think that this impacts healthy kids, let healthy kids eat even sugary treats, never mind carbs and veg, but once you turn 50, if you want to keep moving and have energy to work, be creative, whathaveyou, in my personal experience, you must eat meat and saturated fats and cut carbs really low. And veg are carbs. This goes unless you are one of the lucky ones with very good tolerance for carbs and they don’t make you sleepy or sick.

~ plaid ~
Mad Serb

When it comes to eating habits, the only difference between me and a pig is that I eat pork. (pigs are not canibals, I assume). I do consume sugary stauff, but probably not is quantities huge enough to give me trouble.

evs

Unread post by evs »

Good! Then you are right as rain.

If your cardiovascular disease and diabetes markers are low on top of that, bob’s yer uncle.

~ plaid ~
Mad Serb

My cholesterol is at the low end, both bad and good are low, however ratio is within limits. BP 100/70 normally. That about everything good about me.

asal

Unread post by asal »

Normal blood pressure. Cholesterol is within limits - you don't have to tweak anything. Carry on.

Fiber is essential to good digestion.

People who experience physical negatives from carnivore or keto diets are censored from sharing their experiences and told to keto harder.

Obviously, if you don't eat fiber you're going to have digestion issues. Protein poisoning is why protein heavy consumption populations have means to add vegetable matter and fat (inuit - eat oolichan fish, blubber, seaweed, berries in the summer).

Why are Eskimos so healthy and free of heart disease if they don't eat any fruits or vegetables? They do (traditionally) eat some vegetables in the form of seaweeds and sea vegetables, sometimes taken directly from the intestines of mammals they hunt and eat, but its a very small part of the total calorie count.

Google search for inuit diet vegetables

Get in on it.
Mad Serb

Inuit have much larger livers. We cannot compare ourselves to them, nor we can adopt their diet blindly. Humans do adapt to changes in diet, after all this is environemntal change.

asal

Unread post by asal »

The Viral Carnivore Diet Isn’t About Raw Meat. It’s About Power

November 11, 2022
What do Joe Rogan, a butcher shop, and an onstage performance art piece by the 1975 have in common? Raw meat, baby. In the past three months, online health communities have seen another surge of interest in meat-heavy diets. One of the more popular options is a regimen touted by social media personalities like Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson, and Andrew Tate that promotes eating as much protein and cholesterol as possible — even as health experts have continued to push back against the diet’s efficacies. But now, social media stars on TikTok and Instagram have taken the diet one step further. Instead of just increasing their meat intake, people eat their steaks, livers, kidneys, hearts, and more completely raw. Welcome to the Carnivore Diet....

...Nutritionists like Halperin don’t recommend an all-meat diet because of all the cons and the unavailable pros. But not only do carnivore fans like Long not care — they claim doctors are actively lying to people. According to Long, vegetables, which have long been understood to be a healthy addition to any diet, have defense mechanisms that make them toxic to the human body long term. In fact, Long says medical advice, which he calls disinformation, drives him to share his diet with as many people as possible. It’s not just about food. It’s about winning a lifetime mental game....

Why Your Body Won't Be The Same After The Carnivore Diet

Jan. 25, 2023

The carnivore diet is easy to explain: Eat animal products and nothing else. Meat, seafood, eggs, and certain dairy products are allowed whereas all plant-based foods are off-limits. It's similar to the paleo or "caveman" diet, which claims to be a return to how our ancient ancestors ate. However, the carnivore diet doesn't include fruits, vegetables, nuts, or seeds (via Healthline). Because the carnivore diet excludes these healthy plant-based foods, it's pretty much a zero-carb diet, with calories coming from protein and (mostly saturated) fat.

...As Katherine Pett, registered dietitian nutritionist, explained in Self, that claim is grounded in the fact that two compounds found primarily in whole grains and legumes, phytates and lectins, can cause inflammation and reduce the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals. But in reality, this only happens in less-developed countries where people eat extremely limited diets: only rice, for example.

A 2014 review published in the Journal of Cereal Science looked at the research and found that there's no evidence to support the idea that consuming grains as part of an overall healthy diet has any negative effect, and that in fact whole grains should be part of a healthy diet because of the beneficial nutrients they contain.

One very important nutrient that's completely missing in the carnivore diet is fiber. Found in fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, fiber is the part of a plant food that your body can't absorb. The two types of fiber serve slightly different functions — soluble fiber becomes a gel in your digestive tract while insoluble fiber is "bulk" that helps move things through your digestive tract. Both types of fiber help keep you regular as well as prevent constipation and diarrhea (via Mayo Clinic). But fiber has health benefits beyond just your bowel movements.

Experts recommend at least 25 grams per day for women and at least 38 grams per day for men as fiber can help lower blood cholesterol levels and control blood sugar levels. Getting adequate fiber is also shown to help with weight loss and weight maintenance because it helps fill you up without adding calories, according to the Mayo Clinic. Because the carnivore diet eliminates plant foods, it delivers close to zero fiber....

...Eating adequate fruits and vegetables has so many proven health benefits, including lowering blood pressure, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke, preventing certain cancers, lowering the risk of eye and digestive diseases, improving blood sugar control, and regulating appetite, according to Harvard's The Nutrition Source. There's so much research to back this up whereas there's no evidence that proves following a carnivore diet can deliver these same benefits....

Get in on it.
Mad Serb

I think part of the appeal is that when people switch to meat diet they also abandon a lots of junk. They immediatelly feel better and conclude that meat is the solution. It may be, but it could also be lack of sugar, lowering total caloric intake etc. Also, for some diseases meat diet may (and aparently does) help, but it may be to a degree detrimental to overall health.
I wonder if there is a long term study of meat eaters, decade or so, where thoe people were compared to omnivores who don't abuse carbs

weebles2

evs wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 00:24
weebles2 wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 10:15 I do not know if I could completely give up complex carbs just like I could not give up drinking coffee completely.
Of course you could. It’s addiction like any other.
That’s true but it is kinda like chapmans butter peacan ice cream you know it is bad for you but it is so good as long as you have things in moderation.

asal

Unread post by asal »

Yes, (@Mad Serb) I think it's the elimination of foods that are causing people problems. They feel relief when those foods are eliminated, but might not have identified what foods were causing them issues.

The search continues. I find it really hard to find helpful dietary advice. Everything I land on, gets questioned with an alternate discovery. Frustrating.

One person I listened to in an interview said that there're paid contrary studies in order to bolster whatever food industry. Argggh. Almost any food item - coffee, alternative sweeteners, bread .... No one's disputed eating blueberries, yet.... oh yes, this thread is about the danger of plant foods.

Get in on it.
evs

Unread post by evs »

I hear you, weebs, but it has to be done if it brings you disability, or, in my case, extreme fatigue.

~ plaid ~