Single mothers and Limosine drivers will have to pay back the CERB they collected

Register accountRead the forum rules
Skipper

Single mothers and Limosine drivers will have to pay back the CERB they collected

Unread post by Skipper »

It’s been nearly four years since the federal government rolled out the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), but many Canadians who received funds are still confused by its eligibility requirements and are only learning now that they have to pay back the money.

The CRA said previously that the program was launched in a hurry and that the money needed to get to Canadians, but "ineligible individuals would later have to repay amounts they had received."

ADVERTISEMENT
CTV News asked readers to share their experiences with CERB, after publishing a story on Terrance Bailey, a Toronto man who owes the federal government more than $38,000 after he found out he wasn't eligible to receive the benefits in the first place.

Bailey told CTV News Toronto that he fears he may have to declare bankruptcy.

RELATED STORIES
CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits
An Ontario man is on the hook for more than $38,000. What has your experience been with CERB?
More than 1,000 Canadians take CRA to court over pandemic payments—and some win
"I'm on an old age pension and a Canada pension,” Bailey said. "I make $2,000 a month, and how am I supposed to pay back $38,000 and pay my groceries and my rent?"

CTV News received dozens of responses and many people detailed their frustrations with how the COVID-19 financial aid was doled out, how they were confused as to what they were entitled to, or whether they were even eligible to apply for CERB in the first place.

'I don’t have $19,000 to pay back'
One of those readers was Taylor Beaumont, a 22-year-old mother from Mount Forest, Ont., who was forced to work odd jobs at various fast food restaurants during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I was working at Little Ceasars, Subway, Firehouse Subs, but I was reduced to only a shift or two a week or laid off permanently,” Beaumont said. In her mind, she was eligible to receive CERB, so she collected $19,000 through the pandemic.

Top business headlines, all in one place
The latest on inflation in Canada
Beaumont said a CRA agent reached out to her in September 2023 saying that she would have to pay back the full $19,000. She claims the agent failed to return dozens of phone calls over a month-long span, and only after leaving an angry voicemail did she receive a call back, saying to call the main number and try to find another agent.

“I spoke with a second agent who did a second review of my case at the end of January, and only near the end of February did I find out I was still ineligible,” Beaumont said. Throughout this process, Beaumont said the CRA is taking her GST payments, her Trillium Benefit and Climate Action Benefit as a way to pay back what she owes for CERB.

“I’m a stay-at-home mom and I don’t have $19,000 to pay back,” she said. Only receiving $500 per month through the Child Tax Benefit, she doesn’t think it’s fair that the CRA is seizing her tax benefit money while she continues to appeal their decision.

weebles2

Re: Single mothers and Limosine drivers will have to pay back the CERB they collected

Unread post by weebles2 »

How are us taxpayers funding a 22 year-old to bee a stay at home parent? :worry:

soon

Re: Single mothers and Limosine drivers will have to pay back the CERB they collected

Unread post by soon »

it seemed like a dumb idea at the time. why even bother.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
asal

Unread post by asal »

taking the cerb looked like a dumb idea. Lots of people took it. risky.

Get in on it.
asal

Unread post by asal »

The lady's only income is the $500 child tax benefit? And she has kids? So dumb.

Get in on it.
weebles2

Unread post by weebles2 »

asal wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 19:23 The lady's only income is the $500 child tax benefit? And she has kids? So dumb.
Well if she is only making a dozen calls a month she seems like a real take charge go getter. :D

soon

Unread post by soon »

it was a political ploy for sure. trudeau handed out cerb money right before he called a snap election.

what is that? and how do i make the rest of my life about it.
Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

asal wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 19:21 taking the cerb looked like a dumb idea. Lots of people took it. risky.
Trudeau sold a lie. He made it sound like free money, one didn't have to pay back...he tried making himself look like a hero during the pandemic.

The whole thing sounded fishy to me from the start. I had and have nothing to do with cerb. I did the right thing, didn't bother. Just worked and lived off my paychecks. I knew people would get fucked.

:purdy:
Berry Sweet

Unread post by Berry Sweet »

I've read stories and also know a couple people who are on disability...they applied for the cerb...(I told them not to as they're already getting assistance...double dipping) they didn't listen. Now they have to pay it back. Idiots! Like, why?! Why would you do that and think it's a good idea?!

It's hard to feel sorry for some people today.

:purdy:
Pantalon de Singe

Unread post by Pantalon de Singe »

˙ǝlʎʇs ɯnɹoɟ ʇlnɐɟǝp ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉsn pǝʍǝᴉʌ uǝɥʍ (ʞooqʇǝN ,,ᄅƖ) ʎɐldsᴉp xd 89ㄥ × ㄣᄅ0Ɩ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɐ uo (ɯɔ Ɛ~) ʇɥƃᴉǝɥ uᴉ ,,lɐɯɹoN,, ǝzᴉs ʇxǝʇ ɟo sǝuᴉl ϛ uɐɥʇ ǝɹoɯ ou ǝq plnoɥs sǝɹnʇɐuƃᴉS