Canadian Wildlife

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Canadian Wildlife

Blue Frost wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:54 pm I really hate that guy, such an idiot.
I think people with hives need to get some wire that will keep those hornets out while letting the bees through it.
This is a brilliant idea. Perhaps you could create one then get a patent and become a millionaire.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

You go for it Gary, turn it to your idea :)
Seriously, all they need to do it make it where the bees can get in, or just small enough where the hornets cannot.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I hope that these monsters don’t decimate our bumblebee colonies. North Americans need to be vigilant about exterminating these pests.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This lobster sized crayfish is a neat discovery. https://infotel.ca/newsitem/in-video-ne ... sR_Rd5T_6M
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Gary Oak wrote: May 8th, 2020, 2:16 am This lobster sized crayfish is a neat discovery. https://infotel.ca/newsitem/in-video-ne ... sR_Rd5T_6M
Food for the Ogopogo. :toung:
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Gary Oak wrote: May 6th, 2020, 9:14 am I hope that these monsters don’t decimate our bumblebee colonies. North Americans need to be vigilant about exterminating these pests.
There is hope, provided that honeybees in other parts of the world learn how to adapt the way the ones in Japan did.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

beanthere wrote: May 8th, 2020, 12:49 pm
Gary Oak wrote: May 8th, 2020, 2:16 am This lobster sized crayfish is a neat discovery. https://infotel.ca/newsitem/in-video-ne ... sR_Rd5T_6M
Food for the Ogopogo. :toung:
At least these photos and video are believable.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

The first 2020 sighting of the murder asian hornet here in Langley BC Canada! This is way too close to home. Hopefully no nest.
VANCOUVER -- A Langley, B.C. woman took no chances when she saw a giant insect with a huge orange head buzzing loudly around her garden. She stepped on and killed the enormous hornet, and then sent a picture to provincial authorities.

The next day apiculturist Paul van Westendorp collected the dead wasp and confirmed it was an Asian giant hornet - the insects that have been dubbed "murder hornets," and are known to behead bees while attacking bee colonies.

“As you can see this is a large, formidable insect,” said van Westendorp while holding up a specimen.

In November, another was found in White Rock. This latest sighting means authorities will have to re-think their strategy in eradicating the invasive species.

“Now suddenly we realize we’re dealing with a much larger geographical area,” Van Westendorp acknowledged.

The apex predator has recently gained an infamous reputation. Its venom has caused human deaths in Asia and Europe, but van Westendorp insisted the likelihood of coming into contact with the wasp is exceedingly low.

“We are not on their menu. We are not in any way attractive to them. When they see you, they tend to avoid you,” he insisted.

The danger is stumbling across a nest accidentally. The Asian giant hornet builds them underground and are fiercely protective.

Anyone who believes they’re about to be stung shouldn't run because the hornets fly faster than humans can get away on foot. Authorities recommend diving into a bush or heavily treed area where branches will confuse the insect.

The Asian giant hornet also carries a lot of venom and their stings are nasty.

Stings should not be rubbed because that will cause venom to spread. Instead, an ice cube placed on the affected area will bring down inflammation.

Perhaps the greatest risk is to bees. The Asian giant hornet is classified as serious honey bee predator.

Scientists in British Columbia are working with their counterparts in Washington state to rid the area of the insect. But the hornets likely came here on tankers, which means we will probably see more.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/so-called- ... -1.4958044
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I believe that they are being planted by Chinese deliberately as they are all over the place at the same time unlike if they were spreading on their own gradually as the killer bees have done. It wouldn’t be the Japanese as they don’t have the malice for us.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Someone said they where already there in Canada for a while now, maybe just being killed off by your winter, and herbicides.
My guess is some might be planted by the media, and people wanting attention also.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have just heard about them in the last couple of months.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm not sure when they showed up, but I was told a year, or so ago.
Someone on here said that also.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Three giant hornets were first spotted last August near Nanaimo, the B.C. agriculture ministry said. The single nest was destroyed. A specimen was found in November in White Rock and two specimens were found last December at Blaine, Washington.

Van Westendorp said he has frozen the Langley specimen and will eventually conduct an examination to see if it's a queen. The insect will also be analyzed through DNA sequencing to determine its geographic origin.

The province issued an information bulletin in March asking residents near the border to be on the lookout. Hornet traps were placed throughout the area and pest-alert notices were distributed.

Further monitoring will continue and experts are asking for the public's participation to report what they see.

"The hunt is on and the way to find the nest is you're not going to find the nest visibly, you're not going to see it when you're walking along forest paths," said Gail Wallin, executive director of the Invasive Species Council of B.C.

"You're going to see it because you see the Asian giant hornets heading to that hole in the ground ... so being on the alert for the hornets is the first step to finding the nest."
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I will murder any murder hornet I can with even more enthusiasm than I have for killing yellow jackets.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This One in ten million white lobster can now be seen by anyone. Hats off to that fisherman. https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/ns/nova ... rHEeOuDmZI
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Gary Oak wrote: May 30th, 2020, 8:42 am I will murder any murder hornet I can with even more enthusiasm than I have for killing yellow jackets.
If these giant asian hornets somehow make a permanent home here you can buy these sticker paper.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I’ll remember this trick
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gary Oak wrote: May 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm This One in ten million white lobster can now be seen by anyone. Hats off to that fisherman. https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/ns/nova ... rHEeOuDmZI
Personally I like the blue ones :teehe:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I’m partial to blue too.