Adventurers

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Adventurers

Few people it seems have the adventurers spirit to travel and survive by their wits. I have met many though in my travels. Weren't the original bikers just adventures ?

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

New-school riders follow in tracks of the American hobo

i have met guys who ride the rails. I have never travelled in this manner....surprisingly.

New-school riders follow in tracks of the American hobo
Train hoppers still lured by nomadic life on the rails, despite fewer numbers and greater surveillance
August 24, 2014 5:00AM ET
by Tim Gaynor @timejgaynor
BRITT, Iowa
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Adventureres

I would have at one time, i love the secluded wilderness.
It's nice learning how to survive also if you have a knowledgeable person with you.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Adventurers

I am just finishing off this fascinating book about this adventurer. I will post this on both the Gold Rush thread and the Adventurers threads as it belongs on both. This lady started off at the end of the wild west in the south western states with a briief foray into the Cassiar in BC gold rush catching the end of the BC gold rush and then forayed into the Klondyke and the Kluane and Alaskan gold rushes. You had to be tough in those days and especially tough in the north then. She was a friend of the legandary Wyatt Earp who also followed the gold rushes even up to the Klondyke and Alaska. Obviously he was an adventurer as well as a legendary gunfighter and lawman. This bok takes you through eras that are so different from the world we live in. I do recommend this book.

Gold Rush Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Nellie Cashman

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adventurers

I just read a chapter on the life of Samuel Hearne. This video adds a bit to this mans story. It doesn’t mention that he spoke some native languages, the native robbing gangs he encountered etc... His story did however give me a better understanding of the world in Canada’s Arctic long ago.
Mel Gibson

Gary Oak wrote: August 25th, 2014, 8:02 pm Few people it seems have the adventurers spirit to travel and survive by their wits. I have met many though in my travels. Weren't the original bikers just adventures ?
This is an interesting subject... Very few people are willing or able to 'travel and survive by their wits' today. The original bikers after WWII were mostly Vets that had 9-5 jobs that paid well in the 1940's, so they rode for fun. They had an income from that job, and most likely a wife, children, and a home also. They don't really count.

Life was brutally hard for most people even 100 years ago, so they went where they went not because they really wanted to, but because it made sense to do so.

It would be very difficult to survive in this country, without any help. You'd freeze in the Winter.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

There also apparently were marauding bands of natives who would rob people that they came across. Living know people who have been living by their wits overseas for decades adventuring. People going on long hitchhiking trips or guys with motorcycles like in the movie Easyrider working to make money for gas and then off to the next adventure. Many Japanese girls like to travel and adventure by themselves.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

WOW ! What an adventurer ! At first glance at the video I assumed that it wasn’t really going to qualify for an adventurer thread but I was so wrong. Adventurers do tend to go to the beat of a different drummer. This guy is so unique. He sure had courage and intelligence galore. What an amazing story. He also belongs on the legends thread.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I think this Poon Lim might be more suited for a survivors thread as he wasn’t adventuring. Still it was an impressive effort to stay alive.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Rhett is a very good friend of mine. He’s a lot of fun , very intelligent, cheerful, and a good person. Yes he’s a bit loud but so what. He is a real adventurer as well qualifying him for this thread. He phoned me this morning from Germany and we discussed this show and that adventure. Notice how they portrayed him as the bad guy and short. He’s six foot four while this little shmeeb Piers Hernu is only about five foot seven and scrawny. Piers makes the prison out to be a horror show while Rhett told me years ago that it was really easy time. This Piers Hernu you can tell is a real whiner. He’s a silver spooner. It is however correct that his relative got them out early.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

One would have had to have been an adventurer to have dared to work for the pony express.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I believe the first letters was about $5 a letter, that was a lot of money back them.
I'm guessing when the railways opened up, and telegraph prices went way down.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

The pony express riders had to be paid well for the danger and difficulties of their every trip.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Upkeep for horses, and those stations also, there was a few more than him.
Also there was also a crew of other riders going in all directions with a district office.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

They must have been a tough bunch of guys. It’s really amazing to watch and listen to one of them now as they haven’t existed for a long time. I didn’t know those few details that you just posted. At least it’s not being lost to history. This video also belongs on the founding of the USA thread but I had just posted on that one.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

They liked getting the little guys for that job, it was more easy on the horses, and faster also.
The whole job was a relay race from one station to another, that's why it was so important to keep good stock so the people would get their mail, or package.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for these new details that I didn’t know.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I used to know a lot more, I hate forgetting so much information.
I thank you Gary, it does bring some back.
It's really like a language you don't use, you forget it over time.