Big Cats

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Big Cats

That's cool, it's more natural for the Lioness than the leopard, but not at all common.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

India Tiger Killos 10th Victim

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

That's a shame, and the way laws are there it's against the law to kill them unless you have permits .
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

GREAT NEWS ! :cheer: :happy: :stars: There are now 70 Amur Leopards up from only 40 twenty years ago. These are beautiful cats and I believe the only leopard in such a snowy northern climate. These three newborn kittens are a bonus. I am glad to see that a breeding and reintroduction is working. :thumbsup:

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

about 200 in the wild, and that many almost in captivity they will have genetic issues.
I forget the number in which a species is considered extinct, some think it's zero, but I don't believe so, it's viable pairing partners, and growing numbers.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

After all the bad stuff a bit of good news seems due. But where on earth is Sundaland ?

New clouded leopard species caught on video (HD)

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think it's a little island nation, and part of Indonesia maybe :scratch: not so sure.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I wonder if this is a different subspecies fromt eh Borneo subspecies of clouded leopard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundaland
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Well I was close :)

They look a lot like a cloud leopard, likely was all from one line in that area of the world.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

It appears that some of the leopards in India are getting used to urban life and may have developed a taste for spicy food. You can see in the video the leopard taking in the sights around town.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/india-wild-le ... 19261.html

India: Wild leopard mauls six people in Bangalore school

International Business Times
Jigmey Bhutia
International Business Times
February 8, 2016
Six people were mauled by a wild leopard that had entered a school compound located on the outskirts of Bangalore city in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. However, no children were injured as the school was closed for the weekend.

The 8-year-old leopard was spotted by a school security guard on the morning of 7 February (Sunday), according to Bangalore Mirror. He immediately alerted police, who rushed to the spot with forest department officials, the paper added.

The wild cat was eventually captured at around 8.15pm (IST) after forest officials managed to tranquilise it. The animal was later released into a national park.

A scientist and forest department officials were among those who were injured in the 10-hour ordeal. A cameraman of a TV channel was also injured.

“It was a long struggle to capture the leopard. Although it was injected with tranquilisers it could be captured only around 20.15 local time [8:15pm] when the medication took full effect,” senior police official S. Boralingaiah was quoted as saying by BBC.

A video taken during the capture shows the leopard strolling into the Vibgyor International school compound located near Whitefield. The animal can be seen mauling people near the institution’s swimming pool, while photographers and cameramen can be seen clicking pictures and recording footage of the incident. The video also shows officials carrying transquiliser guns running about trying to shoot sedative darts at the leopard.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Pretty one, sad it had to deal with people.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Didn't Jesus once say something along the lines of "do not tempt thy lord God" ? If so then it is unfortunate that this minister forgot this scripture.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-b ... 35286.html

Religious prophet attacked by lions after trying to perform miracle

[Lesson learned: Never approach a lion while it is feasting/Rumble]

A South African man recently learned the hard way that the “Holy Spirit” isn’t necessarily an effective method of animal control.

Prophet Alec Ndiwane was recently touring South Africa’s Kruger National Park, with fellow members of his Zion Christian Church group, until eventually driving up to a pride of lions hungrily feasting on a recently caught impala, reports GhanaWeb.

Seeing this as the perfect opportunity to show the power of the Lord, Ndiwane apparently went into a trance-like state and began speaking in tongues. The prophet proceed to take things even further by opening up his car door and charging straight towards the feeding lions.

The show of force was apparently intended to demonstrate the Lord’s miraculous power over the creatures of the earth.

Apparently this group of wild animals never got that memo.

The lion pride immediately responded by aggressively defending their kill. This caused the prophet to second-guess his decision, as he turned and ran in the opposite direction.

Unfortunately, that didn’t happen before one the lions managed to land a quick swipe with its claws right along Ndiwane’s posterior.

Luckily, a game warden was able to eventually scare off the offended lions by shooting off his gun in the air.

As for Ndiwane, he was immediately sent off for emergency surgery on his buttocks, where he was lucky enough to be left with only some stitches after an overnight stay in the hospital, as well as a few questions about where it all went wrong.

“I do not know what came over me,” he said. ‘I thought the Lord wanted to use me to show his power over animals. Is it not we were given dominion over all creatures of the earth?”
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I want to laugh at the stupidity of this, alright I just did :laugh:
We do not do miracles, that time has past in the book, and only in the hands of God.
My guess people like him do not read the bible.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This would be a dream ofmy girlfriends coming true if she could experience this.

This black leopard’s reaction when he sees his favorite zookeeper is shocking – and heartwarming. [5 PHOTOS AND VIDEO]

http://viralance.com/this-black-leopard ... warming/5/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Leopards are awesome, love them. :)
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Perhaps cat's know how protective mothers can be and was scared.

Colorado woman pries open mountain lion's jaws to rescue son

DENVER - Summoned by the sound of screams, a Colorado woman raced to her front yard to find a terrifying sight: A mountain lion was hunched over her 5-year-old son, biting him.

The woman charged the animal, yanked away one of its paws and discovered her son's whole head was in its mouth. She didn't back down.

"She was able to pry the cat's jaws open," Pitkin County Sheriff's Deputy Michael Buglione said. "She's a hero."

The boy suffered deep cuts to his head, face and neck and was flown to a Denver hospital. The mother, who also had scratches and bites, is credited with saving his life.

The ordeal started Friday evening when the 5-year-old and his older brother were playing outside their home near the resort town of Aspen, Buglione said.

When the woman ran outside, she found the mountain lion crouched over her younger son, who was struggling to get free.

"The boy was completely under the cat," Buglione told The Aspen Times.

The mother grabbed the lion's mouth and pried it open, freeing the boy. She then scooped him up and ran away, the deputy said.

The boy's father had just returned from a run when the attack occurred. He jumped in the car with his wife and son and called 911 as they sped to the Aspen hospital.

From there, the child was flown to Children's Hospital in Denver in fair condition. On Saturday, a hospital spokeswoman told the Times she was not authorized to release any details on his condition.

The mother suffered bite marks on her hand and scratches on her leg, authorities said. She was treated and released.

The family members' names were not released.

The mountain lion was estimated to be about 2 years old and was not fully grown.

"It wasn't a big cat," Buglione said. "Had it been a 110-pound lion — which I've seen around here — this would have been a much different story."

Wildlife officials killed two mountain lions in the area within several hours of the attack. The animals were being examined to determine if they were hungry, diseased or just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Colorado is home to up to 4,500 mountain lions, and they sometimes wander into urban areas looking for food, according to state wildlife officials. Since 1990, mountain lions have killed three people and injured 18 in the state.

"They're wild animals. They find habitat where they can forage for food," Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokesman Matt Robbins said. "When you have bunnies, you're likely to find foxes or coyotes. If you have deer, there is a good chance you'll find mountain lions."

The last known lion attack on a human in Colorado was in July 2015, wildlife officials said. A young lion attacked a man as he fished north of Dotsero, about 60 miles from where Friday's attack occurred. The man suffered scratches and bites on his back and was treated at a local clinic and released.

The lion in that incident, described as a small, yearling male, was tracked and killed.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/colorado-moth ... 39400.html
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Oh poor kid, I hope he will recover soon, Brave woman, both of them could have been killed.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I do recommend watching these two short videos and reading t his article. I will have to try this at the zoo.

How to Survive a Mountain Lion Attack

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-survive-a- ... 1786558318
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm not to worried about them, but i know some places they have them. When my niece was in Colorado I was worried for her, and her dogs, they had them.
Small people, and old is the most prone to attacks, and likely the cat is old, or injured looking for an easy meal, they usually don't put us on the menu.