Vikings In Canada

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vikings In Canada

http://zen-haven.com/evidence-of-viking ... in-canada/

It appears that the Vikings did travel quite extensively in Canada a thousand years ago

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Vikings In Canada

They had settlements in Newfoundland but many starved, and died from the elements. For some reason it took many years before they started doing as the native peoples.
I think they didn't want to lower themselves to their level :wacko:
Many of the migrants was told of rich lands for cattle, but failed to read the travel brochures fine print :laugh:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vikings On Baffin Island

Were the Vikings actually on Baffin or were these simply traded materials that have been found there. The Inuit used to travel quite extensively.

..If Patricia Sutherland
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I would bet traders went to Baffin, and explorers, they went all over the place up there. Many never stayed unless they found a good reason, or was exiled like Leaf Erickson, and Eric the Red.
Most wanted grazing land for cattle, and Baffin might not be a place for that, or trees, they loved lumber for back home.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

I have seen How to train your dragon.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:laugh:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vikings In Greenland

http://news.ku.dk/all_news/2012/2012.11 ... _on_seals/

Look at this. There were Vikings in Greenland until about 500 years ago ! Doesn't this mean that there were Vikings on Greenland when Columbas sailed accross the Altlantic in 1492 ? Doesn't this mean that the vikings were in North America as long as we have been here as Columbas came here in 1492 ,520 years ago. There must have been at least some interbreeding with eskimo girls as some of them look really gorgeous.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Columbus is a joke put on us all, he landed on an Island, and not even on the mainland. A few explorers found the Americas before him, and many before written time is my guess .

Funny story, the Vikings was migrants to Greenland because they was told there was good pastures for cattle, and warm.
The travel brochure with Greenland posted on it made it sound nice, but it was actually a harsh place to live. Many died, and many left when they could.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

The Viking Sun Stone Did Exist

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 21522.html

This article states that the Vikings MAY have made it to America. Obviously this writer doesn't know his topic very well then as it is a very well known fact that they did. It is interesting that some scientists now believe that the Vikings sunstone did exist and that it would have been used and needed to cross the Atlantic
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I saw that last evening, pretty cool find, but it looks like a piece of quartz to me.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I just watched a two hour documentary coincidentally last night which covered this sight in South Newfoundland and all the other topics covered in this article. It was very interesting.

View From Space Hints at a New Viking Site in North America

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/scien ... .html?_r=2
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Vikings In Canada

I posted on that the other day, it's interesting. Funny how they ignore other stuff that's proved they where here.
I wouldn't doubt that monks got here before them, Vikings have pulled up on land to find them there first.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vikings In Canada

I bet that there is some Viking DNA in some of the Inuit of Greenland and possibly in Newfoundland and in the high arctic. I also imagine that many successfully moved back from Greenland. It would been so amazing if some had been able to hold out all these centuries.

Why Did Greenland’s Vikings Vanish?

Newly discovered evidence is upending our understanding of how early settlers made a life on the island — and why they suddenly disappeared

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/w ... ouU3JrO.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Vikings In Canada

My guess is between the 1300s, and mid 1800s it was a bit harsh from the little ice age, and famine we had so they migrated away from Greenland.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This is short and interesting.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Maybe if they would not have attacked first they could have been more peaceful, and shared cultures.
I noticed I didn't here anything about the cheese they gave the Indians. :laugh: