Magnificent Japan

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Magnificent Japan

I have seen photos of the volcano before, and have to wonder if they can feel the volcano breathing.
I would love to see it in person, and explore.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I don't know much about the Yakuza. What influence does the Samarai era have on them ? I would imagine that they are as unique a mafia as the JJapanese are a unique people. I really need to read a quality book on them. Japan's economy is weakening and I wonder and yet the Yakuza membership is dropping.

Infamous Yakuza Is Disappearing Across Japan

Japan appeared to be winning its long battle against organized crime. The number of remaining yakuza gang members has declined for the 12th year in a row, with fewer than 40,000 members in 2016.

The notorious Japanese gang, who were known for their missing pinky fingers, was once composed of 21 groups including the infamous Yamaguchi-gumi mafia. Japan’s National Police Agency (JNPA) said in a 2016 report that crime organizations have finally fallen to about 39,100 remaining yakuza members, according to Friday reports. Yamahuchi-gumi’s figures also dropped to just 11,800 remaining underworld members.

In line with the declining number of yakuza members, Japanese authorities arrested 20,050 gang members in 2016, 1,593 people fewer than last year. The agency said the falling number of remaining members and arrests could be due to laws Japan adopted in 2011 that made it illegal for business owners to give money to gang members in exchange for protection, as well as changes authorizing law enforcement to prosecute mob bosses for crimes committed by their workers.

The JNPA first started keeping record of remaining group members back in 1958, but noticed the most significant and consistent decline over the past 12 years.

In 2013, figures reached an all-time low, when the agency reported only 58,600 remaining yakuza members compared to 2012’s 63,000 members, according to The Guardian. By 2015, the JNPA had only 53,000 yakuza members on record with 23,400 members specifically belonging to the Yamaguchi-gumi, CNN reported.

Wars among groups could also be a factor in the dwindling gang population. In August 2015, the Yamaguchi-gumi split into two separate groups and conflicts between members led to the death of Yamaguchi-gumi boss Tatsuyuki Hishida in November of that year, CNN reported.

Origins of the yakuza, which is a general term for Japan’s crime syndicates, are murky. There is no official record of when the gangs first started, although some people believe the organized crime groups’ history extends as far back as the 1870s with the inception of the Aizukotetsu-kai in Kyoto.

Along with illegal gambling operations, members of the gang who have been arrested over the years have been charged with extortion, blackmail, fraud and murder.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/infamous-yaku ... 02908.html
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Maybe they are just more organized now, and moved into more legit stuff. I don't see them going away.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

This is a bit bizarre. Perhaps the Chinese secretly destroyed this island in their efforts to take over the east China sea.

Japan ‘Loses Island’ Near the Disputed Kuril Territory © Sputnik / Sergei Krivosheyev

An uninhabited island off Japan’s northern coast, known as Esambe Hanakita Kojima, has mysteriously disappeared from the area, and no one knows for sure when and how it happened.
The island was most probably washed away by the waves; however, there is no evidence of when and how it could have happened. "It is not impossible that tiny islands get weathered by the elements," a coast guard official said, as reported by Sky News.

READ MORE: Japan Expresses Protest to Russia Over Missile Exercises on Kuril Islands

The islet used to be located around 1,650 feet off the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido in the Sea of Okhotsk, near the disputed between Russia and Japan Kuril Islands, which Japan claims to be its Northern Territories.

Esanbe was one of 158 islands that named by the Japanese government in 2014, reportedly in an effort to clarify the country's territorial reach and extent of its exclusive economic zone. According to international law, islands can only be named if they can be seen above the water line.

The island was last surveyed in 1987, rising 1.4 meters above sea level, there are no other recent reports about the island. Its disappearance was discovered only now after visiting author—Hiroshi Shimizu—came to the area to work on a book about Japan’s “hidden” islands.

Older local fishermen told the newspaper Asahi they recalled seeing the island decades ago but had to avoid the area because navigation systems recorded it as an undersea reef.

Kuril Islands

Oops! Japanese Minister Doesn't Know Name of Kuril Island Tokyo Wants
The coast guard will determine if the island has disappeared completely. If so, Japan’s territorial waters will shrink. “[The Island’s disappearance] may affect Japan's territorial waters a tiny bit… [but only] if you conduct precision surveys,” the coast guard official told Sky News.
Due to earthquakes and severe weather, Japan's territorial waters are frequently change. For example, in 2015, a 300-meter strip of land emerged from the sea and attached itself to the coast of Hokkaido.

https://sputniknews.com/asia/2018110310 ... ia-region/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Magnificent Japan

Strange, maybe someone dozed it for the soil for their island :think:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

It's great to see that now that Obama is gone and Donald Trump America once again has America's allies backs.

China war drills: US commandos capture Japanese island to show Beijing they’re ‘not kidding around’

US special forces, aided by F-35 stealth fighters and rocket artillery units, have practiced capturing a small Japanese island as part of a new operational concept to counter China in the Indo-Pacific theater.
Members of the US Marines, Army and Air Force invaded and secured Japan’s Ie Jima Island as they polished-up their Expeditionary Advance Base Operations (EABO) skills, which haven’t been put into practice since the end of America’s fight against the Japanese in World War II.

US airmen conducted reconnaissance of the island off the coast of Okinawa before ground troops and Marines were deployed in “a 600-mile long-range raid” to seize an airfield, according to a Marine Corps statement.

After capturing the airstrip, the US forces proceeded to set up the required infrastructure for Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters and C-130J Super Hercules aircraft to land. Finally, rocket artillery units were brought in just as the stealth fighters practiced their precision-guided strikes in an exercise that extended from March 11–14.

The new US island-capturing, power-projection strategy is “critical” to counter China’s growing influence in the Indo-Pacific, General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee this month.

Prepare for war & boost training, Chinese military tells troops
“We are ready to rapidly seize ground and project lethal combat power,” Col. Robert Brodie, 31st MEU commanding officer said. “You just want to make the Chinese think twice about asserting their claims...that’s a clear signal to the Chinese that they’re not kidding around.”

https://www.rt.com/news/454536-us-islan ... Amphibious assault operations would be crucial in case of a hypothetical military conflict between the US and its allies and China in the South China Sea, where Beijing has created a several artificial islands to give weight to its claim of sovereignty over the waters. Several nations have competing claims there, but the US supports none of them and insists that the sea is a neutral zone where it can sail its warships at its pleasure.

Though EABO still remains in the experimentation stage, pending approval by Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson, the concept is being designed to allow the US military to operate in close proximity to the enemy to “distribute lethality” after securing sea platforms from the adversary.

While Beijing has yet to issue a statement on the drills, in the past China has vowed to protect its borders by all means necessary. Fearing a potential outbreak of conflict amid an ongoing trade dispute with the US, Chinese president Xi Jinping has repeatedly told his troops to be better “prepared for war”.

https://www.rt.com/news/454536-us-islan ... ar-drills/
Mel Gibson

Magnificent Japan

Are used school-girl panties still available in Japan? Yum-yum! :laugh:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

I wonder if the samurai whose treasures this was hadn’t been killed ? He must have been quite outstanding as I doubt that too many of them were this rich. https://mymodernmet.com/japan-medieval- ... PTY9ht5nAg

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Magnificent Japan

WOW, must have been the tax man controlling the region.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Magnificent Japan

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

I didn’t know anything about this topic other than the little that he mentioned about buddhism. I also don’t know much about the Yakuza.... yet. I am still very curious about Japan.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Magnificent Japan

Japan is a racist country, and bigoted, but they are happy with themselves, and the culture doesn't make it a big deal like we do.
I don't understand this class thing though that still goes on, it looks like it would be gone by now.
maybe in another generation, or two. The thing is those people are the backbone of society a lot of them to do the jobs others will not, they should be honored if anything.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

I do know that the orientals tend to have a racial hierarchy mentality and according to this hierarchy Japanese are at the top. Chinese resent being lower as they believe that they should be at the top. Hong Kong folk for example look down on mainlanders and almost all other people.
Mel Gibson

Magnificent Japan

Blue Frost wrote: August 29th, 2019, 6:50 pm Japan is a racist country, and bigoted
I disagree. Japan is a country full of Japanese people, and I see nothing wrong with them wanting to keep it that way!
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

I agree with Mel on this and there is racism in all races. This diversity has been a disaster for all western nations. I don’t see any Muslim nations getting in on this diversity crazy craze. Japan has a low crime rate and is possibly the most first world on earth. I haven’t seen the racism in Japanese as I have in the Chinese.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Magnificent Japan

Mel Gibson wrote: August 30th, 2019, 1:05 am
Blue Frost wrote: August 29th, 2019, 6:50 pm Japan is a racist country, and bigoted
I disagree. Japan is a country full of Japanese people, and I see nothing wrong with them wanting to keep it that way!
I see nothing wrong with them wanting to keep their people Japanese, don't get me wrong.
I do see something wrong with thinking you are better than someone when you are not, especially your own people.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Magnificent Japan

I agree with this too. I do believe that when someone thinks that they are better they radiate a repulsive energy that is horrible to be around.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Magnificent Japan

I just don't like it when you just don't care for someone because they are different looking, it's illogical thinking.
Just like not liking someone for their looks, it's illogical also.
It the people, or peoples are a religious zealot type, or cult like I can understand the distrust, but not just a difference in color, or job unless the IRS, or the likes :teehe:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Look at the unique armour. The Mongols must have thought that they were intimidating seeing’s their superior skills and appearance. As I have mentioned in other posts I believe that this samarai culture influenced the Japanese in many positive ways and is partly why Japan is a first world country. The Japanese https://historymates.com/ancient-histor ... HM-mZGrjIk also are good people to work for unlike most of Asia.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Apparently there was an advanced civilization in Japan before the Koreans and Chinese came to Japan about two thousand years ago. Were the Ainu the descendants of this civilization or was it a completely different culture altogether ? https://trueblog.net/lost-and-highly-ad ... zogmo6ynTQ