Photos From Long Ago

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I watched Gone With The Wind not long ago and Vivien Leigh was a master of sexiness.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Photos From Long Ago

I thought she was pretty, but not attractive for some reason. How she acted, and carried herself.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

When she was flirting at that party before the war she rivalled Marilyn Monroe in my opinion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Monroe wasn't as pretty, and personally in my opinion was average.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

We guys all had the same preference then there would be too many lonely people.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I say that all the time in other ways, have said it on here a lot of times.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:56 am Monroe wasn't as pretty, and personally in my opinion was average.
She cleaned up real well but without a professional makeup job she was just another good looking blonde. So if that's what you mean by average, I have to agree. She also had a classic hourglass figure in the culturally correct proportions of the time.

But what makes Marilyn Monroe the attraction that she still is today, is her entire package...She was so much more than just a pretty girl. It was her attitude and the image that her managers in Hollywood crafted for her that made her into a sex symbol. Her personal life was also interesting. She was a complex figure that was very different from the ditzy blonde Hollywood wanted to typecast her as. Very talented, smart and extremely ambitious, she had a rough and rather distrubing childhood. She was first married at 16, divorced by 20 and a top grossing actress by 26. Her private life was highly public and tumultuous. She was followed and hounded by the press incessantly until her death at 36. To this day she is the epitome of the saying "Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse." All that is what makes her attractive and memorable for most people.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I just didn't think she was pretty, Jane Mansfield either like a lot thought, she looked like a big fluffy pidgin in my view.
Both where smart girls I guess, and complex, but overrated when other actress where better then them.
It was just horny blond loving producers, and directors that made them famous.

One I really can't get from the past that people loved was Betty Davis, she was a turtle headed hag, and what was with the manly looking Jone Crawford. :facepalm:
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: August 27th, 2020, 3:42 pm I just didn't think she was pretty, Jane Mansfield either like a lot thought, she looked like a big fluffy pidgin in my view.
Both where smart girls I guess, and complex, but overrated when other actress where better then them.
It was just horny blond loving producers, and directors that made them famous.

One I really can't get from the past that people loved was Betty Davis, she was a turtle headed hag, and what was with the manly looking Jone Crawford. :facepalm:
I don't get the Betty Davis thing either...I wouldn't call her a hag but she was weird looking. As for Crawford, she was just scarey even before Mommy Dearest was released.

There were several truely beautiful women in Hollywood at the time when Monroe was at her peak. The one that stands out in my mind was Elizabeth Taylor. She was stunning...If you have ever seen the 1952 movie Ivanhoe, she plays Rebecca the daughter of Issac the Jew. There is a scene when she first removes her veil as they are bringing the wounded Ivanhoe into Isaac's house to be healed and her face is just breathtaking. I literally stopped breathing when I first saw it....Taylor makes Joan Fontaine who plays Roweena look like a troll.
MV5BYTk4ZjY1NTAtNTE5YS00N2VjLTk5MDMtMWI2YzUwZWQxZmI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQxMTIxMTk@._V1_.jpg

Another woman who was just stunning but she came along about 10 years before Monroe and Taylor was Gene Tierney, who starred in Otto Preminger's, Laura.
8516419951_8ddab2e0b5_b.jpg

Another woman, believe it or not, that was super pretty, when she was young was Shelly Winters. She was also Monroe's room mate at one time and used to try for some of the same parts. But she never got the same attention as some of the other blonde bombshells of the time, despite being very pretty and an excellent actress. She was short, barely 5'4", probably closer to 5'3". She had big boobs, a larger than average butt and a tendency to gain weight way too easily...sounds too familiar... :kez:
018df0ecd75726ccb7eb4b0b36ed3266.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I agree with the first two, they where pretty, and better actors even than Monroe in my opinion.
There is several much more pretty, but overshadowed by the platinum blond thing.
I actually thought Monroe looked better in her natural hair color.

I'm partial to brunettes, and more natural looking hair, and to me less is better when it comes to mackup in some instances, some sorely has to have the stuff.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Renee wrote: August 27th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Blue Frost wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:56 am Monroe wasn't as pretty, and personally in my opinion was average.
She cleaned up real well but without a professional makeup job she was just another good looking blonde. So if that's what you mean by average, I have to agree. She also had a classic hourglass figure in the culturally correct proportions of the time.

But what makes Marilyn Monroe the attraction that she still is today, is her entire package...She was so much more than just a pretty girl. It was her attitude and the image that her managers in Hollywood crafted for her that made her into a sex symbol. Her personal life was also interesting. She was a complex figure that was very different from the ditzy blonde Hollywood wanted to typecast her as. Very talented, smart and extremely ambitious, she had a rough and rather distrubing childhood. She was first married at 16, divorced by 20 and a top grossing actress by 26. Her private life was highly public and tumultuous. She was followed and hounded by the press incessantly until her death at 36. To this day she is the epitome of the saying "Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse." All that is what makes her attractive and memorable for most people.
I agree that it was the total package that put Marilyn Monroe above all the rest. Girls go get boob jobs when a charm job would make them a hundred times more attractive.
Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: August 27th, 2020, 1:43 pm To this day she is the epitome of the saying "Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse." All that is what makes her attractive and memorable for most people.
James Dean is a good example of this also. While we all know that it's unfortunate that some die young(er), the benefit of that is they will always be remembered as such... and not some geriatric dementia ward resident shitting their diapers full.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dean was another over rated character in my opinion, just a little punk that thought he was someone special like some of the Disney boys of today. :wacko:
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: August 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm Dean was another over rated character in my opinion, just a little punk that thought he was someone special like some of the Disney boys of today. :wacko:
He did leave a legacy by dying young though, you have to admit. Did you know his estate still earns around $5,000,000 per year?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm sure it does earn that, but he was still a little twerp, and not a good actor.
Giant was likely his best roll, and really I didn't like that.

Marlon Brando clones :kez: I don't get it.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: August 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm Dean was another over rated character in my opinion, just a little punk that thought he was someone special like some of the Disney boys of today. :wacko:
Overrated is an understatement... IMHO, "Rebel Without a Cause" is nearly unwatchable. The only Dean film that is watchable is "East of Eden" which he was nominated for an oscar.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Personally I don't remember any I could watch with him in it, I find him to be worse than most today's little girly man actors.
Ill take Steve McQueen over him anyway, and he died early.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: September 1st, 2020, 9:45 pm Personally I don't remember any I could watch with him in it, I find him to be worse than most today's little girly man actors.
Ill take Steve McQueen over him anyway, and he died early.
My Mother actually named me after Stephen McQueen! :laugh:

The guy actually had a pretty rough childhood, but he managed to find success in Hollywood... The King of Cool!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think he was cool in real life also, seen a few interviews from him, and people who know him.
He was pretty down to earth unlike Dean which was a smug little punk.

One I disliked a lot was Audie Murphy, now he was a rude little bastard.
A friend of mine his dad was in with him, said he always had a chip on his shoulder.
Seen some actors that said the same, but it was his look which threw me off when I first saw him.
I should judge from a look, but I do a lot.
Mel Gibson

I don't think McQueen ever forgot about his non-Hollywood roots... And while he wasn't perfect (drank too much, smoked too much, was occasionally difficult with the film directors), I think in 'real life' he really was a down to earth guy... Somebody that could be on the big screen, while at the same time being your normal average neighbour next door!