Comets & Meteors

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

As a system forms, and the sun more objects of large proportions collide making thing much more active.
It's possible we has two, or three proto stars forming, then merging, and even Jupiter sized planets could have formed, and merged creating mass eruptions.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

Is that photo real ? It sure looks beautiful if it is. I would never expect a comet to be green.
Russian Astronomers Warn of Green 'Incredible Hulk' Comet in Night Sky

Skywatchers in the northern hemisphere have been watching a green comet bursting with light that keeps growing brighter as it nears the sun.

Officially named PanSTARRS (C/2017 S3) or — more prosaically — the 'Incredible Hulk,' due to its size, the comet is expected to reach its closest point to the Earth on August 7, Russian Media outlet Izvestia reported, citing Russian comet and meteorite researcher Yevgeniy Dmitriyev.

"The size of the gas-dust cloud of the celestial body is at least twice the size of the largest planet in the Solar System: Jupiter," Dmitriyev said, cited by Izvestia.

The Incredible Hulk was reportedly discovered September 2017. The space giant is surrounded by 260,000-kilometer-long cloud of dust and gas, which is electrified by the solar wind, Dmitiriyev said.

This artist’s impression shows the first interstellar asteroid: 'Oumuamua. This unique object was discovered on 19 October 2017 by the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawai`i.
© Photo : ESO/M. Kornmesser
Cigar-Like Interstellar Object `Oumuamua Now Considered a ‘Tiny, Weird Comet' (VIDEO)
​Russian researcher says that the Incredible Hulk will miss our planet, pointing out its closest pass to Earth will come at some 113.4 million kilometers. However, its giant cloud of space dust could potentially cause electromagnetic disturbances in the Earth's atmosphere, endangering vital processes.

"When the Earth passes through the gas-dust environment of a bright comet, a giant lightning may occur which generates a powerful cometary electromagnetic pulse that can be ruinous for civilization," Dmitriyev said, cited by Izvestia.

The demise of comet C/2017 S3 (PANSTARRS)
After two spectacular outbursts in early and mid July, the nucleus of comet C/2017 S3 (PANSTARRS) has finally disintegrated.
Farewell, comet PANSTARRS!https://t.co/ZHimRj4TeU pic.twitter.com/q6AU3n6HF1
— Northolt Branch Obs (@NBObservatories) 27 июля 2018 г.

New Year's Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova
© Twitter/NASA
Anomalous Methane-Rich Comet 45P Could Be Key to Understanding Origins of Life
Astronomers say that PanSTARRS (C/2017 S3) will reach its perihelion, or the closest point to the sun, on Aug. 16. It will be prowling just within the orbit of Mercury, where its nearness to the sun will make it a prime target for a blast of solar radiation.

Meanwhile, its proximity to the sun will make it almost impossible to be seen in mid-August. Astronomers say the best times to spot the green comet in the northern hemisphere are on the first few days of the month, particularly August 7 and 8.

In the southern hemisphere, there is less chance to spot the comet, although it may be visible for a brief period before sunrise on August 15 after it turns away from our star, The Tech Times reported, citing Austrian astronomer Michael Jaeger.

However, Russian astronomer Stanislav Short was quoted by Russian media outlets as saying that Incredible Hulk, despite its "threatening approach" toward Earth and its tail of "giant electrified gas cloud," poses no danger as the comet broke up last month, and adding that such space objects have passed by our planet many times in the past without apocalyptic consequences.

https://sputniknews.com/viral/201808061 ... th-threat/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

I highly doubt that about the lightning, but have to wonder whats in the gas, copper sulfide maybe
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

[video][/video]
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

I was unaware that they kept track of all the meteors that have landed. I only had heard of the one in Russia. With that many in just a few years it is concieveable that a really big disasterous one could land in our lifetime. In the very interesting book Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock he gave evidence of a comet debri stream that had brought about the flood is due now.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

They can only keep track of the large ones that make noise enough to be picked up, a lot that come in are not picked up, and hit the sea, or ground.
Thankfully most hit places like mid ocean, and secluded places.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

With a videos cameras on this meteor now this camera won't need any more propulsion as the meteor will be taking it on a ride for eternity. Perhaps this camera will catch some very interesting sights some day as it travels around the solar system, Will it catch some UFO's on camera ? Will it catch some things totally unexpected ? I am sure almost all of the time though it will be quite boring. It is cool to see what the surface of a meteor looks like.

Japan’s ‘hopping rovers’ successfully land & send first images from Ryugu asteroid (PHOTOS)

https://www.rt.com/news/439144-japan-ro ... -asteroid/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

[video][/video]
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

I saw an article on this crater yesterday and was about to post it but didn't have time. I am glad you did as this video is better than that article is. I do believe that there may be many amazing discoveries to be made under the ice of Greenland and elsewhere. I flew over Greenland once. Greenland is one place few people ever see and it's cool to see some Greenland sights.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

I found one once on google earth, and a month, or so later it was in the news :)
No credit for me though.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

That circle on the large part of this odd comet doesn't look natural. I imagine that on the smaller side what looks like a dish was caused by an impact.

What Are Those Things? NASA Drops New Images From Bizarre Asteroid Flyby

https://sputniknews.com/science/2019022 ... ima-thule/

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

I would say that circle is just the outside of the mound like the others, you just see it straight on in the photo.
The thing looks like a pile of rubble joining together to create what it is now.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

I am not so sure. It really look etched in. I can’t think of how that it could have formed naturally.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

Well next time you get a few scoops of say chocolate ice cream, and let them melt together some, you will see it happening.
It looks like it's etched, but it's actually a mound , you are seeing the edges of that mound. If you saw the other mounds from straight on you would see a lot of the same.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

MeteorWATCH Spectacular Meteor Lights Sky Above Costa Rica Before Crashing Into HouseCC0
TECH

https://sputniknews.com/science/2019050 ... ca-meteor/
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comets & Meteors

Meteorite that hit Costa Rica found to be rare "extraterrestrial mud ball"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/meteorite- ... -mud-ball/

A meteoroid "about the size of a washing machine" broke apart and rained down on a Costa Rican town last month. It's since been classified as an "extraterrestrial mud ball" that could provide insights into the origin of our solar system, scientists say.

Residents of Aguas Zarcas, a small town in Costa Rica, originally reported the meteor as a "large fireball in the sky" when it first appeared April 23. As the meteoroid entered the atmosphere, it broke into hundreds of meteorites that landed around the town, including a two-pound rock that crashed through someone's roof, breaking a dining table.

While dry meteorites are fairly common, scientists found the ones that landed in Costa Rica to be made of wet clay. The rare "carbonaceous chondrites" are rich in organic compounds and full of water, which could provide insights into how to extract water from asteroids in space.
An unusual arrowhead-shaped meteorite from the Aguas Zarcas fall, weighing 146.2 grams. ASU

"Many carbonaceous chondrites are mud balls that are between 80 and 95% clay," said Laurence Garvie, a research professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration and a curator for Arizona State University's Center for Meteorite Studies. "Clays are important because water is an integral part of their structure."

Following early reports, scientists raced to get a piece of history before the meteorites could be destroyed by rainfall. A total of 55 pounds have been recovered so far.

Garvie said that scientists around the world will be studying the meteorites for years to come, searching for a glimpse into the history of the solar system. "Nature has said 'here you are' and now we have to be smart enough to tease apart the individual components and understand what they are telling us," Garvie said.

Scientists have already determined a bit about where the meteorite came from. "It formed in an environment free of life, then was preserved in the cold and vacuum of space for 4.56 billion years and then dropped in Costa Rica," Garvie explained.

A significant carbonaceous chondrites meteorite hasn't landed on earth in 50 years, since one arrived in Australia in 1969. It went on to become one of the most studied meteorites in the world.

"Carbonaceous chondrites are relatively rare among meteorites but are some of the most sought-after by researchers because they contain the best-preserved clues to the origin of the solar system," center Director Meenakshi Wadhwa said. "This new meteorite represents one of the most scientifically significant additions to our wonderful collection in recent years."
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Comets & Meteors

It's interesting that I have seen hailstones shaped a bit like that meteor, maybe from the clay composition, and softness of the material.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Comets & Meteors

Wait a minute ! This nighttime meteor was blue ? How can this be ? https://www.rt.com/news/481476-meteorit ... lue-light/
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

If this comet Atlas is as bright as the moon it will be a sight to see. It will pass by in May this article says. https://endtimeheadlines.org/2020/03/co ... C95xC_SJcw
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Might be a good picture opportunity for some people, i hope I can see it here.