Eat Your Dandelions

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Eat Your Dandelions

http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/healt ... lions.html

This is good to know. If i ever get lost in the woods I will be able to sustain myself by eating these weeds. I have also heard that dandelions cleanse the liver and destroy acids in the blood. After drinking some delicious Hutterite dandelion wine I am seeing dandelions in a different light.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Eat Your Dandelions

There is a lot of weeds in the common lawn you can eat, but Ill be getting rid of the dandelions :blush: maybe keep the clover for the bees.
I think if you can eat dandelions that's great, they are one of the better things you can eat.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

My mum knows some stuff like that, she lived out in the countryside for years growing up... she's mentioned some things about making soups out of plants from your own garden. You can make nettle soup I think as well.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We have wild garlic in the yard, red clover is nice in teas, or a salad, plantain, the greens is like a dandelion, rose hips, the wild violets, bittercress, there are others also I don't know the name of, one has a little yellow flower.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Eat Your Dandelions

Here you go :) a garden from the lawn, not mine though.
I see a lot of stuff I mentioned, but don't know what the reddish looking stuff is.

Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Eat Your Dandelions

Are you sure this stuff is safe to eat? I used to pick em in grade 1.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yes they are, the leaves are the part you eat, just make sure the dog didn't have it's way with them :teehe:
Someone told me they will give you the runs, but that was one person.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Eat Your Dandelions

Here you go GF, you might be interested :) others might also http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php? ... &region=bc :link:

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/blog/2012 ... y-medicine

Dandelion causes Luekemia cells to shrivel and disappear ? This belongs on the forbidden medicine thread. I now have another reason to get sloshed on dandylion wine again
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

LOL not seen any of that stuff since I was a kid. :)
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Cancer Killing Dandelion Tea

http://worldtruth.tv/cancer-killing-dan ... rch-grant/

I am getting inspired to start drinking dandelion tea
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I don't think it taste good at all .
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Drink Your Dandelion Wine

After drinking some delicious hutterite danylion wine and having started a new hobby of beer brewing I am very interested in starting doing some dandylion winemaking

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dandelion-Wine

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dandelion-wine/
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have read about famines where millions have starved to death and I have had to wonder ....couldn't they find any dandelions ?

The Incredible Edible Dandelion: Using This Weed to the Fullest

Hey there, ReadyNutrition Readers! We’re going to give you guys and gals a bit of information pertaining to Taraxacum officinale, also known as the Dandelion. Last year I conducted a book review on the work “Eat the Weeds,” and out of the edible weeds, none exemplifies quality vs. misunderstanding as the common dandelion. Most consider them a nuisance; however, they really are a treasure-trove if you know how to use them.

The dandelion is a perennial, and it contains a wealth of vitamins and nutrients, as well as naturopathic applications that are astounding. The dandelion is edible in its entirety, which is really good to know from a survival perspective. They also grow upon a taproot, an important consideration as they will grow back if harvested from the surface and the root is left alone.

Natural Medicine
From a naturopathic perspective, dandelion tinctures and teas can be used to help the liver and gall bladder, and the root can be tinctured and used as a diuretic, especially good for women with excessive water weight caused during the normal course of menses.

NUTRITION INFORMATION Taken from USDA SR-21

Source

Here are just a few segments of the breakdown (nutritionally) from dandelion.

Dandelion, 1 cup, chopped (55g)

■Protein 1.5 g
■Vitamin A 5588 IU (112%RDA)
■Vitamin C 19.3 mg (32%RDA)
■Vitamin E 1.9 mg (9%RDA)
■Vitamin K 428 mcg (535%RDA)
Other ingredients include Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, and Zinc. All from the dandelion! When you’re tincturing, you should try to harvest the roots in October/November. This period of time is when the concentration of its natural constituents is at its height. Dandelion is an excellent diuretic and is good to take when sweating and flushing the system are needed, such as during the time of fever or cold. Just remember to replace the fluid taken out of your system by the dandelion.

Edibles
The herb can also be dried and preserved, reconstituted in soups, stews, or salads with minimal losses of its vitamins and nutrients. Concentration and focus should be placed on gathering it, as it provides vitamin C and A in large quantities, and these vitamins will be scarce in times of collapse or shortage.

After rinsing the dandelion off in cold water, you can chop them up and eat them in your salads. There is also another way that I personally prefer to eat them. Parboil them lightly, just to take out the crisp without making them go completely limp or wilted. Then drain them off in a colander. Next, throw them in a frying pan with about ¼ cup of olive oil, and sauté, adding fresh chopped cloves of garlic. It comes out with the taste and consistency of spinach. Throw a little bit of butter and salt on it, and it is delicious.

Ben Charles Harris’ book mentioned earlier gives more weeds and “nuisance” plants for you to cook and make salads from. Why not supplement your diet with quality food while cutting your grocery bill for fresh vegetables at the same time? Dandelions actually help the soil by aerating it and allowing some space between for the growth of helpful microorganisms and other “helpers” such as worms and beetles that help to condition the soil.

In addition, honeybees are heavily dependent upon the pollen produced from countless fields of dandelion. If you plan on making any honey, it would be wise to preserve the fields full of them as a food source for your bees as well as for you and your family. So, with these words, I encourage you to go out into your backyard and reacquaint yourself with the dandelion. With so many gifts to offer, it would be wise to take advantage of them. Just as with anything else, sometimes a gold mine is right in front of you, and you just need to recognize it for what it is. Dandelions are just that. Happy salad-gathering, and let us know about your adventures and any recipes you may have for us! JJ out!

Jeremiah Johnson is the Nom de plume of a retired Green Beret of the United States Army Special Forces (Airborne). Mr. Johnson was a Special Forces Medic, EMT and ACLS-certified, with comprehensive training in wilderness survival, rescue, and patient-extraction. He is a Certified Master Herbalist and a graduate of the Global College of Natural Medicine of Santa Ana, CA. A graduate of the U.S. Army’s survival course of SERE school (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape), Mr. Johnson also successfully completed the Montana Master Food Preserver Course for home-canning, smoking, and dehydrating foods.

Mr. Johnson dries and tinctures a wide variety of medicinal herbs taken by wild crafting and cultivation, in addition to preserving and canning his own food. An expert in land navigation, survival, mountaineering, and parachuting as trained by the United States Army, Mr. Johnson is an ardent advocate for preparedness, self-sufficiency, and long-term disaster sustainability for families. He and his wife survived Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. Cross-trained as a Special Forces Engineer, he is an expert in supply, logistics, transport, and long-term storage of perishable materials, having incorporated many of these techniques plus some unique innovations in his own homestead.

Mr. Johnson brings practical, tested experience firmly rooted in formal education to his writings and to our team. He and his wife live in a cabin in the mountains of Western Montana with their three cats.

This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
Originally published August 17th, 2016

http://readynutrition.com/resources/the ... _17082016/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think it's in Maine that every spring you can see people out in their lawns picking the stuff to eat, that's what I read. :)
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Eat Your Dandelions

I have read that this is why dandelions have been so demonized as a weed. If this is the case then big pharmaceutical cartels must have known a long time ago of their cancer fighting properties. https://healthylivingidea.com/dandelion ... FI0HQy-pDQ

Dandelion Root Provokes Cancer Cell “Suicide,” While Leaving Healthy Cells Intact, Researchers Say

January 4, 2019 By HLI Team

Have you seen those yellow dots on an entirely green law? Well, they are more than just another gift from nature. According to Eastern and Western cultures Dandelion has been regarded as a valuable food and medicine source for over thousands of years, and only recently scientists have started researching its cancer-fighting powers.

From Greeks to Chinese traditional healers, dandelion has been used to flush toxins, cleanse the liver and purify the blood. Precisely these blood purifying compounds have led researchers from the University of Windsor in Canada to examine the power of dandelion and how it could help patients with terminal blood cancers.

During one study the researchers mixed blood drawn from leukemia patients and a dandelion root extract and injected it into a lab rat. Not long after, to their delight the mixture induced apoptosis or “cell suicide” in cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone.

The ability of dandelion roots to selectively kill only cancer cells and ‘avoid’ the healthy ones as opposed to chemotherapy and radiation which kills every cell in our bodies, could lead to revolutionary cancer treatments that will shed light for patients all over the world.

Based on these results, scientists were given a go ahead and test the dandelion root extract on thirty Canadian patients. This is the first ever cancer treatment in Canada where a natural extract has been approved for a clinical study. Unfortunately, the US has yet to support such research.

Here in the US, herbalists aren’t allowed to treat cancer patients for cancer, and they can only offer herbs as supportive therapy to correct the damage caused by conventional treatments.
Newsletter
Email

According to herbalist, teacher, and author Demetria Clark, if a patient has taken chemotherapy, dandelion will assist the liver and kidneys, boost the immune system and help in body detoxication. It also helps with nausea and mouth soars.

Leading researcher and biochemistry professor at Windsor Dr. Siyaram Pandey said “these folks actually lived” in a Ted Talk show after being encouraged by the results of patients who selected dandelion extract over chemotherapy.

See the Ted Talk show below:

Besides the fact that dandelions are packed full of vitamins such as A, C, K, B6, B3, B9, and B12 as well as calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc, and copper, they can also heal and nourish the body. So next time you see these beautiful yellow flowers, pick them up and make a salad, or a smoothie.

Credits

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.1129321

https://www.getholistichealth.com/78573 ... ot-cancer/

https://returntonow.net/2017/09/27/dand ... ls-intact/
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Eat Your Dandelions

I really liked that dandelion wine I had a number of years ago which actually led me to start this thread plus of course after finding out how nutritious dandelions are.I would like to try and make some myself.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Eat Your Dandelions

hanks, I hate the smell of them. I know they are good for you, I don't drink though.
I think shes already been off the wagon :teehe:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

A British Columbia doctor claims that 62% of covid vaccine recipients will have blood clotting and dandelion extract appears to help against these spike proteins that are killing or at least harming so many people. This article also goes on to state that at least 60% of covid vaccine recipients will die within two years. If this is true then we don’t have long to wait to see if this is true. Didn’t Bill Gates say that it takes two years for the side effects to show up ? This article also explains how to make one’s own dandelion extract. https://igniteliberty.net/covid-19/bloo ... be-a-cure/
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Gary Oak wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:07 pm A British Columbia doctor claims that 62% of covid vaccine recipients will have blood clotting and dandelion extract appears to help against these spike proteins that are killing or at least harming so many people. This article also goes on to state that at least 60% of covid vaccine recipients will die within two years. If this is true then we don’t have long to wait to see if this is true. Didn’t Bill Gates say that it takes two years for the side effects to show up ? This article also explains how to make one’s own dandelion extract. https://igniteliberty.net/covid-19/bloo ... be-a-cure/
Medical science according to Facebook... :laugh:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas