Let's talk about knives...

Political stuff, stuff people love to hate.
Mel Gibson

Let's talk about knives...

Is Canada the only nation that currently permits knives in yer pocket while flying both domestically and internationally?

I know the US doesn't permit knives, but what about other nations?

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Let's talk about knives...

I have no clue, but I carry a Kershaw with the quick open feature :) fast as a switchblade.
I use it about every day, and have had it a good 10 years now.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: June 20th, 2021, 10:15 am I have no clue, but I carry a Kershaw with the quick open feature :) fast as a switchblade.
Nice! My everyday pocket carry is a Swiss Army knife. It also is used almost daily for something or another! Handy little tool.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I always wanted that huge Army knife with all the tools :laugh: I wear a belt so it wouldn't pull my pants down.
I gotta have a knife on me, it's always useful for something, opening packages, or just getting dirt from under my fingernails.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

I have one of those bigger Swiss Army knives with 20 or whatever tools on it, but it's a bit bulky to sit in my pocket full time, so it sits in my truck. It's got saws, scissors, and a bunch of other things.

But ya, blades are handy even for opening the stupid plastic packaging that everything now seems to come in. It must suck to live in Australia or the UK, where they can't even leave their house with a pocket knife. Luckily this country has pretty lax knife laws.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: June 20th, 2021, 10:15 am I have no clue, but I carry a Kershaw with the quick open feature :) fast as a switchblade.
I don't carry a knife often but I do carry a Kershaw Blur from time to time as well....It's a handy tool for opening bags of fertilizer, grass seed, potting soil or wood pellets. It's also handy for opening the guts of any pos with evil on their miniscule minds....As you say, it's "fast as a switchblade" but it's a lot more robust.

I agree with Mel about the UK and Oz...Stupid, oppressive, draconian societies and the people or should I say sheep, just go along with it. It's so bad in the UK that if you are attacked on the street and then defend yourself with anything sharp, you are the one who is in trouble with the law and the criminal becomes the victim....talk about fucked up. But then again, the place is full of Muslims, of the fundamentalist kind, just like most of Europe and soon the native Brits will be the minority.

At one time you could get away with carrying a small knife when flying but since 911 you can't have shit on you or in a carry on....And God forbid you have a knife in your checked luggage...The TSA will ripe open your bags and confiscate whatever they find and they will not be nice or neat and clean about it.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have a Kershaw blur also :) paid like $12 for it, and have a backup one in a box.
I just checked on Amazon, and they are going for $60 now :wacko:
Mine needs sharpened right now, but Ill get to it sometimes, still has a good point.
You can send them back to the company, and they will sharpen them free, but you pay shipping.
Mel Gibson

Here's something interesting about the Kershaw Blur: Canadian border services will usually seize that particular knife if they find it entering the country through whatever means, but it's a completely legal knife to sell, own, and carry here (so no repercussions other than losing your knife).

Canada border service views it as a Switchblade, while our Federal knife laws don't view it as a switchblade. This confusion confuses many people, including me, but it's Canada so what do you expect!

And we only have these silly Switchblade laws because the US implemented them first for silly reasons, but still live with them to this day!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm not sure, but the switchblade laws have changed here, they are legal now thanks to the knives like the Kershaw Blur.
Not sure if that all over, but here I think it is.

Someone needs to challenge it there if Border control takes it, that's the problem.
I would bet they take them home with them after taking them.
They shouldn't take them anyhow, they should let you mail them home, or can pick them back up on the way back.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:04 am I'm not sure, but the switchblade laws have changed here, they are legal now thanks to the knives like the Kershaw Blur.
Not sure if that all over, but here I think it is.

Someone needs to challenge it there if Border control takes it, that's the problem.
I would bet they take them home with them after taking them.
They shouldn't take them anyhow, they should let you mail them home, or can pick them back up on the way back.
Someone did challenge it, and here's how silly things are in Canada: An entity called the Canadian International Trade Tribunal sided with the border agents in that the Kershaw was a switchblade, so they can seize them at the border even though they are legal to own in this country. I sense an opportunity here for a Canadian manufacturer to make these knives, since that would solve the border problem!

And there's no doubt the border agents take them home! My Mother would always come home with seized illegal firecrackers that we'd light off at New Years! :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

A switchblade is a mechanical spring assisted device, a Kershaw isn't because you are the one opening it. My guess is the lawyer was stupid, and knew nothing about what a switchblade is.
If it was a switchblade any knife with a finger nail grove in it would be considered a switchblade.
I know how the liberal lawyers, and judges are though, doesn't matter the facts as long as they get their agenda through.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 8:54 am A switchblade is a mechanical spring assisted device, a Kershaw isn't because you are the one opening it. My guess is the lawyer was stupid, and knew nothing about what a switchblade is.
If it was a switchblade any knife with a finger nail grove in it would be considered a switchblade.
I know how the liberal lawyers, and judges are though, doesn't matter the facts as long as they get their agenda through.
I know. The Canadian Criminal Code views a switchblade basically as a knife that opens automatically when a button or switch on the handle is pushed, which the Kershaw isn't. Why they gave Canada Customs the power to seize them doesn't make sense, since a Kershaw is legal to own here. I don't understand how something can be seized by an entity when it's a legal item, but that is what they've permitted Canada Customs to do. Knife collectors here aren't impressed. Since it's a legal knife there are no repercussions in having one seized, but you lose your Kershaw at the border. But like you say, I bet most Canada Customs officers have a nice new seized Kershaw in their pockets when they're off duty!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

They would love mine, it's nice, and used with plenty of dirt, and grime :teehe:
Honestly it wouldn't hurt my feelings much, but it's the point of it that would make me mad.
i would defiantly protest at the border office even if i would be hassled about it.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

No knives on Finnish planes... Outbound or interior flight.

Anything that could be used as a weapon, is forbidden.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Funny I can kill with a bic pen, and fork, and even a credit card if the edge is sharp enough.
Mel Gibson

So far Canada is in the lead then, allowing one to board aircraft with a knife in pocket...

I think this is good. Any potential hijacker would have to deal with an unknown number of passengers carrying a blade in their pockets!
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 9th, 2021, 2:40 am So far Canada is in the lead then, allowing one to board aircraft with a knife in pocket...

I think this is good. Any potential hijacker would have to deal with an unknown number of passengers carrying a blade in their pockets!
Most Canadian men are effeminate progs who fancy themselves cultured and too civilized to need to carry a knife..... To the average Justine supporter, carrying a knife would be far too unpalatable for them unless it had a emery board attached so they can buff their nails.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Adding to Renee's comment, you would be liable also for killing the nutjob also if he wasn't cutting your throat.
You should give him your drink, and crackers to make him comfy instead.
Just like the gun laws in Canada, and all the Brit colonies, the bad guy is special, take care of them, kind of like they want it here now. :kez:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

I dont need a knife for plane hijackings.

One or more unarmed hijackers...

This is whats gonna happen.

Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 9th, 2021, 1:40 pm Adding to Renee's comment, you would be liable also for killing the nutjob also if he wasn't cutting your throat.
You should give him your drink, and crackers to make him comfy instead.
Just like the gun laws in Canada, and all the Brit colonies, the bad guy is special, take care of them, kind of like they want it here now. :kez:
You can't confuse Canada's gun laws with our self defense laws, as they are two very separate things. We have essentially the same self defense laws here as do most US States, if you can believe that.

The difference is that most people here cannot own or carry a firearm solely for personal defense against people, since that would render it a 'weapon', which isn't allowed. But you can use a weapon of any sort, including a gun, if your life is in danger, since we follow the "law of necessity" here. The law of necessity basically means that any law can be broken with impunity if I or someone else is facing grievous bodily harm or death. Then we can pull out whatever we got. Interestingly enough, the law of necessity originated when early European explorers landed here, their ship got stuck in harsh winter weather, and then had to eat other crew members to survive. We're talking hundreds of years ago, but we still follow that rule.

But I digress... Knives aren't considered weapons here though, unlike guns which generally are. They're viewed as tools, so you're free to pack a blade here almost anywhere. You don't need a reason, and won't get hassled unless you're causing some trouble with it. We're a knife friendly nation, unlike UK and Oz. I think our government knows that fucking with our knives would be the last fucking straw!