..Guns Guns & More Guns

Political stuff, stuff people love to hate.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: ..Guns Guns & More Guns

I got your safety and tactical training right here!

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:13 pm I got your safety and tactical training right here!

:bored:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: August 31st, 2020, 1:36 pm
Odinson wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:13 pm I got your safety and tactical training right here!

:bored:
Mel Gibson

Is it just me, or did the S&W revolver die when they went to a frame pin? My gun has a frame pin, and I don't feel like I own an actual S&W revolver, since it doesn't have a hammer pin...

Deep down I feel a revolver should have a hammer pin, and I think about that often...

I want Renee to make me feel better about this, since I'm at a loss...

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:39 am Is it just me, or did the S&W revolver die when they went to a frame pin? My gun has a frame pin, and I don't feel like I own an actual S&W revolver, since it doesn't have a hammer pin...

Deep down I feel a revolver should have a hammer pin, and I think about that often...

I want Renee to make me feel better about this, since I'm at a loss...

Frame mounted FPs have been used by Colt, Ruger and some S&W models (K22) for a long time. Until recently, I think S&W was the last hold out of the major manufacturers to still use a hammer mounted pin. There are a few reasons for the switch to a frame mounted pin but it was mainly for durability and the milling of the receiver. The revolver frame benefits from a frame mounted pin as it doesn't have to absorb the full force of the hammer strike. This is especially good for medium and small frame revolvers in .357 mag. Also a frame mounted pin better controls any excessive primer expansion with hot loads which also saves wear and tear on the frame and timing of the revolver.

The down side as I see it is S&W has a tendency to put a short pin on their frame mounted FPs. This can lead to misfires when lighter than factory main springs are installed by shoe makers masquerading as gun smiths. I've seen it happen first hand when someone is using reloads with hard Federal primers. But it can be remedied by installing a competition or performance center frame pin. Also the trigger pull on a frame mounted S&W doesn't seem to be a light or smooth as a frame mounted unit but that's more a function of the heavy mainspring and rough milling.

I only own one S&W with a frame pin and it's a 70 year old K-22 target. All of my centerfire S&W revolvers have hammer mounted FPs as they are all 20 plus years old or older.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I want one, someone buy this for me, and some ammo :)
I don't have to carry it, just mount it on my SUV.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:laugh: I love that the editor made him report it anyhow.
This is a case of a stupid liberal believing his own BS, I'm glad it punched him right in the face.
Stinking drunk wife beater.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

A hunter accidentally shot his hunting buddy today in Finland..

He was cleaning the gun at the dinner table and did not know it had a fish in the barrel.

These things have to happen.. Its math.

There has to be at least one dimwit in a 100k.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I assume the person is alive still.
I can see some accidents happening, but the ones cleaning is just stupid, and negligent.
Some time ago I went to clean my gun, it had one in the pipe, and that's why you check them so you wont shoot anyone.
I usually always clear my weapons after use, but somehow one was left.
Mel Gibson

It's very easy to check! The mandatory Canadian gun course we have to take here instructs us to not only visually check, but to stick our pinky finger into the action and bullet chamber to feel for a round in there also. I guess they figure with both visual and physical check, there probably shouldn't be a round in there!

After that process is complete, we are then instructed to look down the barrel to make sure no obstruction. If you can see the light, you're good to go!
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sadly, the person died almost instantly.

Its moose hunting season which means that the rifle in question was .308 or larger.

Probably hit straight to the heart.

Negligent and possibly drunk..

Somebody is having the worst day ever.
I can only imagine the amount of remorse.
Mel Gibson

It shouldn't happen. Here a gun must be unloaded during transport, and penalties are harsh for offenders. That hunting rifle should've been emptied when the hunt was over, before it was even placed in the vehicle for the drive home! And then checked again before cleaning it!

Our mandatory gun course pushes the practice hard to check every time you handle a gun for reasons other than actually actively shooting it! But like you know, accidents will still happen.

The rehab instructor at the old folks home my Grandmother stayed at was paralyzed from the waist down by his hunting buddy while out on a hunt due to accidental discharge. He'll be in a wheelchair forever, but at least he's still alive I guess...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: October 10th, 2020, 9:26 pm It's very easy to check! The mandatory Canadian gun course we have to take here instructs us to not only visually check, but to stick our pinky finger into the action and bullet chamber to feel for a round in there also. I guess they figure with both visual and physical check, there probably shouldn't be a round in there!

After that process is complete, we are then instructed to look down the barrel to make sure no obstruction. If you can see the light, you're good to go!
Your gun check sounds retarded, and a way to shot yourself.
I check mine every time I pick it up, and even more now since that one was chambered.
I was thinking maybe my brother, or friend did it since they love to look at my guns.
In any case they get rechecked before going in the safe.

I drop the mag checking mine, pull back the slide, and look, and I look again.
Also when checking the barrel is always pointed towards the floor away from anyone.
At the range, and out shooting I have trigger flags so I know they are checked, and no way dangerous.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odinson wrote: October 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm Sadly, the person died almost instantly.

Its moose hunting season which means that the rifle in question was .308 or larger.

Probably hit straight to the heart.

Negligent and possibly drunk..

Somebody is having the worst day ever.
I can only imagine the amount of remorse.
Sad hearing, i hope his family is alright, and dealing with it best they can.
I see it happen here every game season, someone is being stupid.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: October 11th, 2020, 3:19 am Your gun check sounds retarded, and a way to shot yourself.
That's how we are taught here in mandatory gun class! I guess the idea being, other than to check for a potential barrel obstruction (which is valid in itself), is that we should be proficient enough to open and clear an action with 100% certainty to the point where we're comfortable peering down the barrel.

We are even taught to do this a certain way: Rifle butt on the ground secured between feet, barrel up secured by hands, and you bend down and look into the muzzle to (hopefully) see the light!

Instructor brings in common rifles of common actions for us to do this with: Bolt, Lever, Semi-Auto, Pump.

If you know the gun is successfully cleared, looking down the barrel should be no problem! That's what the course tries to teach I suppose. It's not so much that you should look down the barrel all the time, but moreso that you should be capable enough to render the firearm into a condition where you can look down the barrel without concern. It forces people to understand and know when a firearm is in a condition where it simply cannot possibly fire a round.

They teach other things like basic laws, basic etiquette, shit like 12/20 burst, and the touchy hammer of the old Winchester 30-30's when you go to de-cock it with your thumb. The entire class had to de-cock an old Winchester 30-30, because if that hammer slips? BANG!

So if you see some clown looking down the barrel of a hunting rifle, assume he's a Canadian just checking for barrel obstructions! :laugh: We're taught that way! :wink:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The only time I look in a barrel is with a bore scope, and then that's only for maintenance.
Looking down a barrel isn't a safe practice no matter if not loaded.
To me it sounds like they just want you gun owners dead so they can say we told them so, and lets take them now.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: October 11th, 2020, 1:31 pm The only time I look in a barrel is with a bore scope, and then that's only for maintenance.
Looking down a barrel isn't a safe practice no matter if not loaded.
To me it sounds like they just want you gun owners dead so they can say we told them so, and lets take them now.
Looking down a rifle barrel is a common practice when cleaning. I use a bore light on the action end to visually check the rifling for any powder residue. You can use a small piece of white paper to reflect the light into the barrel as well.

This is done after safety checking the open action of the firearm and running brush and patch from action to muzzle.

How Mel was taught sounds a little wonky...First of all without a direct light source, I'm not sure how you can see anything just looking down the muzzle with the action facing the floor... :kez: Secondly if you think you have an obstruction such as a live round in the chamber...NEVER look down the muzzle end. Check from the action end with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. If you think there is an obstruction such as a bullet head stuck in the barrel, use a cleaning rod to check for the obstruction and if possible, do it from the action.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Unless cleaning, and you are sure it's never a good idea looking down a barrel unless it's the action end.
The idea of looking down a barrel/business end checking a weapon is beyond retarded, it's suicidal.
Even cleaning a weapon Ill rod the barrel before looking if I do look at all.
Mel Gibson

Everyone in Canada with a gun licence is taught this procedure. You can Google "Canadian gun course looking down barrel?" and see lots of people (like you guys) surprised by this.

It's part of the PROVE portion of the class:

Point the firearm in a safe direction;
Remove all ammunition;
Observe the chamber;
Verify the feeding path;
Examine the bore for obstructions.

And it's taught that it's acceptable to examine the bore by looking down it for possible obstructions. We actually have to do this in class with rifles. This would be something you'd most likely perform in the field, if you were unsure if you got mud in the barrel or whatever, or possibly a squib. And you're just looking for an obstruction, not conducting a police forensics lands & grooves examination, so it can be done with just daylight. Some rifles you cannot visually examine from chamber end with field strip, and they probably assume most people don't pack a rod with them in the field.

And Renee... Did you honestly think we're taught to look down the barrel without first confirming the chamber is empty? We are not only taught to visually inspect, but to stick our finger in there to verify also, which I did mention in previous post.

Remember, if the gun is properly verified to be empty, not even God himself can magically chamber a round, close the action, and pull the trigger while you're staring down the barrel! You Americans are more scared of guns than I thought! Give me any of your firearms, and I can easily ensure that they are in a state where I will happily and safely stare down the barrel! And if you are unsure of your ability to clear a gun in a fashion that would make it safe to look down the barrel, you shouldn't own that gun!