ADHD

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

ADHD

Boy I have just the opposite, been worried about the far future all my life, makes my anxiety really bad.

[video][/video]

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

ADHD

It's funny but the doctor/therapist my parents took me to over 30 years ago talked about the same things this guy is talking about and back then he was considered a maverick....What ever he was, Dr. F changed my life forever. Back then most doctors just threw Ritalin at you and hoped for the best.

The doctor that treated me all through Jr high and high school taught me the importance of blood glucose management to enhance the abilities of the frontal lobe of the brain.

Exercise (mine came in the form of organized sports. A lot of it,...I needed it....I wasn't only ADHD afflicted, by the 5th grade, I was rapidly becoming quite a bit more than just a little chubby....a total butterball....:laugh: ).

Time management and breaking down the task. Self hypnosis,....rewards for tasks accomplished (unfortunately my mom used to use food as a reward :kez: ).

The 10 and 3 rule (work for 10 minutes, do something you enjoy for 3 minutes). In some cases like myself you will learn to go further than 10 mins. I can do up to an hour of mental work before I need that 3 to 5 min distraction.

Funny thing with ADHD is that if you are doing something you really enjoy...you can go for hours or even days without stopping to refuel the brain. You can also train yourself thru reward and self hypnosis to work like a machine during crunch time (hyper focus) because the task is in the "here and now"...not off in the distance where you can avoid it.

I consider myself somewhat lucky because my ADHD isn't nearly as bad as some. In fact I was never prescribed drugs. Dr. F didn't think I needed them. He felt that through the steps I described above...most ADHD sufferers would eventually learn to cope and function relatively normally. In my case he was correct.

I only learned the benefit of medication in college and it was totally by accident. The coaching staff put me on amphetamines to help control my weight in the off season. That was back at a time when college sports were rife with steroid use and other performance enhancing shit. Funny thing about amphetamines is that for people with ADHD it has the opposite effect of people with a normal brain. Instead of making you nervous and jumpy they make you mellow and you are able to concentrate for longer periods of time. The only problem is coming down off them...if you think I'm a bitch now, you should see me coming off a diet pill high.....it ain't pretty....My mom once said it was like dealing with a werewolf around the time of the full moon..... :laugh:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

ADHD

Ritalin was an easy out for parents, and doctors, it's a shame they even considered it as a first choice.
most kids just needed to get outside, and be kids, and do without all the high fructose crap, and other stuff they started adding in everything.
The treatments ruined a lot of kids, and worse made worse grownups of a lot of them.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character

Quick Reply

This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.