Re: Tech Talk

General talk, and discussion.
Mel Gibson

Re: Re: Tech Talk

Blue Frost wrote: July 9th, 2020, 1:37 pm I actually had someone put oil in my mowers gas trying to help me out when I had a bad sprain, it was a new mower also. :kez:
I got it cleaned back up, but it never ran right again.
She was just trying to help me out so I couldn't stay mad, but it was very aggravating.
I bet... I'd be pissed! It's like, if they don't know or aren't certain, they should ask first before doing shit like that!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Shame is the mower was a good one, and lasted me a good 15 years before I loaned it to someone, and never saw it again.
Besides the slight clacking from the oil thing it might still be around.
I remember at the time it was one of the top of the line Craftsman mowers when i bought it, and it was worth every penny.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Craftsmen was OK! Brand no longer exists in Canada, since Sears Canada went kaput about three years ago or so... Tons of Craftsmen mowers around here though... My neighbour bought one just before Sears went kaput here. Still looks and runs like new!
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Actually Craftsmen tools are available in Canada. When Sears went down, they were taken up by Rona. I've seen them somewhere else too, maybe Ace hardware?
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 10th, 2020, 3:08 am
Renee wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:10 pm What do you expect from an injun?

Should have bought her a horse.
She wasn't Injun (I don't date/marry non-whites). German/Ukraine was her lineage.
Horseshit...I've seen the pics. :think:

But then again she did run from you like you had the plague. I suspect it was your alcoholic ways that she couldn't handle...If she were a true injun she would have stayed glued to you for the fire water.

That being the case, maybe you should find a nice pocahontas to hook up with. You would be well suited for each other. Just be aware of the dangers of fetal alcohol syndrome should you decide to breed.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reverse Flash wrote: July 10th, 2020, 3:01 am
Renee wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Mel Gibson wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:35 am Her text to me was literally this: "Steve, a light is on my dash, and the two liters of oil I added won't make it go out. Should I add more oil?"
What do you expect from an injun?

Should have bought her a horse.
Ya the horse would live longer than her car :laugh:
Just put some water and hay in it and you're good to go. Can't easily overfill it or put the hay it in the wrong hole.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

beanthere wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:08 am Actually Craftsmen tools are available in Canada. When Sears went down, they were taken up by Rona. I've seen them somewhere else too, maybe Ace hardware?
Lowe's sells them here, and seen them at other stores, but they are not the old Craftsman tools.
You find some from early 70s, and better yet the 50s, and 60s they are good tools.
I'm not sure what kind I would like today, but for price Harbor Freight has some, ICON, and QUINN that might work well enough.

For mowers today I would stay away from Briggs powered ones, seen a lot go bad soon after buying, and a repair guy told me they need the gas filtered a few times more to keep them running.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

I don't think I've seen new Craftsmen tools for sale here since Sears went kaput, but no doubt Blue is correct in that they're probably just some cheap Chinese tool rebranded as Craftsmen, and not of the quality of the old Made is USA Craftsmen...
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 10th, 2020, 2:01 pm For mowers today I would stay away from Briggs powered ones, seen a lot go bad soon after buying, and a repair guy told me they need the gas filtered a few times more to keep them running.
Ya, Briggs isn't what they used to be it seems. Apparently they'll build engines as cheaply as the mower companies demand...

When I bought my Husqvarna mower recently, it actually had the Kohler engine option, which I think is better. The vast majority of the Husqvarna riders seem to be equipped with Briggs engines though, and I believe Husqvarna may have even dropped the Kohler engine option for 2020, going with mainly Briggs instead.

I have about 50 hours on the Kohler so far, and it's a great engine! It is a little loud though at full throttle when mowing... I should probably wear ear mufflers.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 10th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Blue Frost wrote: July 10th, 2020, 2:01 pm For mowers today I would stay away from Briggs powered ones, seen a lot go bad soon after buying, and a repair guy told me they need the gas filtered a few times more to keep them running.
Ya, Briggs isn't what they used to be it seems. Apparently they'll build engines as cheaply as the mower companies demand...

When I bought my Husqvarna mower recently, it actually had the Kohler engine option, which I think is better. The vast majority of the Husqvarna riders seem to be equipped with Briggs engines though, and I believe Husqvarna may have even dropped the Kohler engine option for 2020, going with mainly Briggs instead.

I have about 50 hours on the Kohler so far, and it's a great engine! It is a little loud though at full throttle when mowing... I should probably wear ear mufflers.
You should always wear ear protection..

Lawnmower noise is a "silent" hearing killer.

Buy peltors with bluetooth/radio so that you can listen to music while you mow the lawn.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I had a Walmart special with a Kohler, the engine is still like new, and I bought it in 1995.
The deck not so much.
I'm looking at one with a Kawasaki engine right now, a Scaggs mower, they have the best ratings at the moment I have been told.

The old Briggs was never anything special, or great, but they where reliable enough, but that all changed when they, and about everyone sold out.
just a handful of companies now own all those brands today.
Mel Gibson wrote: July 10th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: July 10th, 2020, 6:35 pm You should always wear ear protection..

Lawnmower noise is a "silent" hearing killer.

Buy peltors with bluetooth/radio so that you can listen to music while you mow the lawn.
Ya, I've got some Peltor's that I use for shooting hiding somewhere in my pile of stuff here!
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:05 pm I had a Walmart special with a Kohler, the engine is still like new, and I bought it in 1995.
The deck not so much.
I'm looking at one with a Kawasaki engine right now, a Scaggs mower, they have the best ratings at the moment I have been told.

The old Briggs was never anything special, or great, but they where reliable enough, but that all changed when they, and about everyone sold out.
How much grass do you mow? A Scag with a Kawasaki engine is expensive commercial grade equipment!
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Mel Gibson wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:48 pm
Blue Frost wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:05 pm I had a Walmart special with a Kohler, the engine is still like new, and I bought it in 1995.
The deck not so much.

How much grass do you mow? A Scag with a Kawasaki engine is expensive commercial grade equipment!
You have one of those mowers that you drive like a car?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:48 pm
The deck not so much.

3/4 of an acre, not a lot, but what I see in today's fake little tractor mowers are garbage unless you get a good welded frame, and deck.
The Cub cadet I have the engine is great, but the mower is total garbage, and it was a $2700 mower when my sister bought it.
I also sunk another $500+ into it getting it a new clutch, and some fancy washers the plant didn't install on the thing.
Mel Gibson

Reverse Flash wrote: July 11th, 2020, 3:04 am You have one of those mowers that you drive like a car?
This is what I bought for my new property (literally 2 acres of lawn to mow)! I also bought a dump cart that I can pull behind it, which comes in very handy...

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Those are quite nice mowers if you got the right one.
i have seen two versions of the same mower, and one is a cheep piece of garbage, not sure what the deal with that is unless it's a knockoff.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 11th, 2020, 3:16 am 3/4 of an acre, not a lot, but what I see in today's fake little tractor mowers are garbage unless you get a good welded frame, and deck.
The Cub cadet I have the engine is great, but the mower is total garbage, and it was a $2700 mower when my sister bought it.
I also sunk another $500+ into it getting it a new clutch, and some fancy washers the plant didn't install on the thing.
3/4 of an acre isn't really that much though, and provided your yard isn't super hilly, I bet a Husky (or equivalent like a Craftsman rider, which comes from the same factory I believe), would probably serve you well for half the cost or less than a Scag...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm not set on the scaggs, but leaning towards one, I have just gotten tired of these newer fake tractor mowers because they are all the same, and just a different name on them.
My old cheap walmart one was a lot better than this piece of garbage Cub Cadet.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 11th, 2020, 3:21 am Those are quite nice mowers if you got the right one.
i have seen two versions of the same mower, and one is a cheep piece of garbage, not sure what the deal with that is unless it's a knockoff.
Husky has a huge variety of models, but they're really the same machine other than the engine options, and the hydrostatic tranny, both of which are outsourced. Mine has the Kohler engine (which may now be a discontinued option), but they all have the Tuff Torq hydro tranny, which comes in different versions (only top, expensive models come with anything other than the Tuff Torq K46)...