Re: Tech Talk

General talk, and discussion.
Mel Gibson

Re: Re: Tech Talk

Besides, I spend too much time on the computer anyhow, so it's probably for the best!

Not to mention I can now leave for a few days without having to deal with Russian spammers or who knows what else!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It seemed like mine went down the most in the middle of the night, or straight off in the morning when I got up.
A lot of the time it was the server I used at the time.
The free servers was good, but limited, and cut off a lot from being overloaded, and to many people on it.
They force you to buy in like that.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Ya, there's always a catch with free hosting. I paid for my hosting (NameCheap), and can't really complain about reliability! They might not be the best, but I didn't have any issues that weren't my fault. Then again I didn't have much traffic either.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My hosting was great when it came to trying to help, but my issue was something in the installation.
Some bad script maybe, and it carried over when it moved here on memebee.
Thankfully someone great has been working around it, and maybe it's gone now with all the updates since.

I could hardly do it anymore, or deal with the mess, but do miss the hands on stuff.
It was hard when unexpected things came up, and crashes, but fun testing out things, and tinkering around sometimes.

It's funny, the forum was just made so I could learn so I could help DV out, but it went down, and a few people came here.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Ya, some things can be frustrating... I keep getting a mySQL(I) error no matter what I do. It is possible that it could be something that the host has to fix, but I'm not sure.

Not an uncommon problem it seems, but unfortunately most tutorials are geared towards those who are skilled at this. They don't always speak in the basic retarded terms that I need to understand! :laugh:

That said, probably more frustration than it's worth: Even to continue paying for hosting hardly makes sense with so few posters. If it was busier I could probably justify the cost, and maybe even the frustration/confusion, but it's simply not busy. More spam bots post than real people do!

Unfortunately forums disappearing is pretty common these days... Lack of posters, then things start to stagnate. Unless you have some kind of content that brings in ad revenue, sometimes makes sense to just pull the plug.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I had an issue like that starting up, I forgot to remove the install file :laugh:
I did it several times before, but forgot since it's not often you do that on a forum.
Also sometimes it was a mod I added that didn't play well.

Phpbb is the place to go for that stuff, if it's happened on a forum they have the answer someplace.
Also always have a backup.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Even a robot can dance better than me :(

The overloads of the future
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have not did a factory reset on my computer in so long I forgot how to do it :think:
I know I restart it, and press some f key, I think. or was that on Win 95 :teehe:

My computer is running like a slug, and processes isn't shutting down, it needs a clean start.
I hate to do it though, and have to fiddle with it for days to get it the way I want it again.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

No slowdown on my laptop. You running windows on a hardrive? Nice and smooth on my SSD.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I found out that the last updates I got conflicted with Comodo Antivirus, Windows said they didn't want it in the computer because the adware from it so they did it.
The last patch they made fixed that because people want to use Comodo, it's one of the best antivirus out there, especially when it's free.

No I don't have an SSD drive, quit rubbing it in :teehe:
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Here is something that is really pissing me off...LED lights that blind you when you are trying to drive.

I always hear about how you can change the angle of your rear view mirror which is true, it helps. But then the side mirrors can make it almost as bad, and then oncoming traffic can be blinding. There should be some kind of government regulation about this. :o

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Having fun booting up my computer now. I have tried windows 10 diagnostics and repair tools and even made a windows 10 stick. The only way I can get out of black screen is to keep re-booting and trying different boot keys that people recommend. Beginning to think I may have a hardware problem.
Mel Gibson

beanthere wrote: January 16th, 2021, 2:37 am Here is something that is really pissing me off...LED lights that blind you when you are trying to drive.

I always hear about how you can change the angle of your rear view mirror which is true, it helps. But then the side mirrors can make it almost as bad, and then oncoming traffic can be blinding. There should be some kind of government regulation about this. :o
It is a problem. Most issues are due to people installing aftermarket LED's into halogen housings improperly, or altering suspension height, and then not having headlight aim checked and adjusted properly. Headlight aim is the key. When I had a suspension level installed in my truck, I went to a shop that was equipped with what's called an optical headlight aiming machine to get things right with headlight aim. The shop Foreman had to show the tech how to use the machine, so that gives you an idea of how often people have their headlights aimed properly.

It's difficult for the Cops to enforce bright lights, because brightness is something that's subjective... completely different than a speeding ticket where the radar speed reading is a firm number and really not disputable...
Mel Gibson

beanthere wrote: January 16th, 2021, 2:41 am Having fun booting up my computer now. I have tried windows 10 diagnostics and repair tools and even made a windows 10 stick. The only way I can get out of black screen is to keep re-booting and trying different boot keys that people recommend. Beginning to think I may have a hardware problem.
Very possible. Could be a power supply issue? Doesn't take too much of a power supply ripple to make sensitive electronics act up...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: January 16th, 2021, 5:53 am
beanthere wrote: January 16th, 2021, 2:37 am Here is something that is really pissing me off...LED lights that blind you when you are trying to drive.

It is a problem. Most issues are due to people installing aftermarket LED's into halogen housings improperly, or altering suspension height, and then not having headlight aim checked and adjusted properly. Headlight aim is the key. When I had a suspension level installed in my truck, I went to a shop that was equipped with what's called an optical headlight aiming machine to get things right with headlight aim. The shop Foreman had to show the tech how to use the machine, so that gives you an idea of how often people have their headlights aimed properly.

It's difficult for the Cops to enforce bright lights, because brightness is something that's subjective... completely different than a speeding ticket where the radar speed reading is a firm number and really not disputable...
I have seen green, blue, and yellow lights going down the road, it looks stupid to me.
As for cops doing the brightness they can test that with a light meter, sort of like with the window tent stuff.
A good Maglite usually makes people turn the lights down. :teehe: very illegal to do though.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: January 16th, 2021, 10:19 am I have seen green, blue, and yellow lights going down the road, it looks stupid to me.
As for cops doing the brightness they can test that with a light meter, sort of like with the window tent stuff.
A good Maglite usually makes people turn the lights down. :teehe: very illegal to do though.
Those multi-coloured LED lights aren't allowed on public roads here. Can only have white, amber, or red lights on vehicles here (unless it's an emergency vehicle).

Cops here don't utilize light meters. All they could really do would be to order the vehicle to have an inspection done at a qualified shop...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

With tenting here they say if you can read your Licence through the glass you are good, but who is to say if the cop needs glasses.
They do have light meters in some patrol cars, but not all as I have been told, usually a supervisors would have one.
I don't see many colored lights, but there is several around here, that green one really looks stupid, and I'm surprised the cops hasn't caught him yet.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Pretty cool looking, but it's not the game. Fallout 76 was a great let down by Bethesda of course .

Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Blue Frost wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:19 pm Pretty cool looking, but it's not the game. Fallout 76 was a great let down by Bethesda of course .

I enjoyed Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion on the Xbox 360. The Oblivion gates were scary. Microsoft bought the company that makes the elder scrolls games such as Oblivion and Skyrim and the fallout games. Any future release will probably be xbox series x/s exclusive.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have been playing Skyrim, and Fallout a long time now, I just need new mods, and more space for them if they would allow it.
People make some nice new quest, and features to make it worth playing again.

I hope you are doing well RF :)