Re: Tech Talk

General talk, and discussion.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Re: Tech Talk

What VPN service provider do you people recommend?

I was thinking that might be useful.

Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 11:23 am Get an old Sheridan sliver or blue streak in .20 cal or in 5mm. They aren't made any more but you can still get refurbished ones on Ebay.

I have an old blue streak in 5mm. It handles squirrels, rats, chipmunks and birds of all sizes. Basically it is good for common pests and then some...It would probably do a young ground hog or a opossum with a head shot.
Can't really find any used for sale in this country (some brands just aren't aren't common here, unlike a Daisy), and civilian to civilian sale of anything gun related (even air guns) either way across the border is made almost impossible by both our Government and yours...

I see that Benjamin still makes a copy of the Sheridan (Model 392 & 397, apparently still made in New York)... These are available here, but I wonder how the new Benjamin's compare to a quality German air rifle like a Weihrauch...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odinson wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:44 pm What VPN service provider do you people recommend?

I was looking at Express a few months back, and you can go to Rush Limbaugh's website for a free three months with it.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:44 pm What VPN service provider do you people recommend?

I use Proton. I haven't had any issues with it.

There is a 30 day free trial so you can see if you like it.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I use Proton mail if it's the same company.
Based in Switzerland isn't it ?
For an email service they are pretty good, and great ratings.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Why pay for something you most likely don't need?
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Mel Gibson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 3:29 am

He's up to something funny
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I was going to get it for business reasons when I get a new computer, and for privacy concerns.
Someone in government is always meddling, and looking for a reason to spy on people.
George Bush opened that door wide open to get his wars.
Also in today's times you don't want said government making something out of a joke like they have before ruining people.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: July 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm

I´ll look into that one.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 3:29 am

I cant access foreign content..
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

A lot of streaming TV sites don't let you watch content, we get that on here sometimes.
It's funny Canadians watch our satellite content, but they sincere a lot of there content. :wacko:
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:09 pm A lot of streaming TV sites don't let you watch content, we get that on here sometimes.
It's funny Canadians watch our satellite content, but they sincere a lot of there content. :wacko:
Canada doesn't really censor the content, but what happens is when a broadcaster buys the rights to air a channel here, they'll often replace the American commercials with Canadian ones... This makes sense from the broadcasters perspective, since they can air (and sell air time to) commercials intended for this market.

I can also immediately tell a US commercial from a Canadian one: Your commercials contain 90% more Negroes! :laugh:
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:49 am I cant access foreign content..
I see... In that case, you'll want to make sure the IP address that the VPN provider uses originates from the country whose programming you want to watch. If you want to watch US content, you'll either need to be able to select a US IP address, or use a VPN that issues US IP addresses by default!
Mel Gibson

You can read this quick write-up on different VPN's, and their pricing... I would think that any of these would work for what you're trying to do. Be aware that 'free trials' will often restrict you from certain things, like choosing the server location, and they'll often limit your bandwidth which would probably affect streaming media...

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/cheap-vpn
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm
I see... In that case, you'll want to make sure the IP address that the VPN provider uses originates from the country whose programming you want to watch. If you want to watch US content, you'll either need to be able to select a US IP address, or use a VPN that issues US IP addresses by default!
How much does Netflix cost in Canada/USA?
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Mel Gibson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm
How much does Netflix cost in Canada/USA?
In Canada
$9.99 basic, SD 480p. Stream on 1 device at a time

$13.99 standard, HD 1080p. 2 devices can stream at same time

$16.99 premium, 4K 2160p.up to 4 devices can stream.

I use my friends Netflix premium and Disney+ accounts. Free of charge. Save money. Good friend.

Some shows like Supernatural on Netflix is only available for America for some reason. It's on Amazon Prime Video for Canadians. Amazon prime video is free for Amazon prime members. They have Amazon Prime Orignal series like Jack Ryan and The Boys.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:47 am

I´ll look into that one.
I've been using it for years now and I have no complaints. I also advise looking into Nord or Serf Shark.

Proton also has free servers but if you are going to use a free service try "Hotspot Shield". It's rated pretty highly and it might work for what you need.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Renee wrote: July 27th, 2020, 11:44 am

I´ll look into that one.
I've been using it for years now and I have no complaints. I also advise looking into Nord or Serf Shark.

Proton also has free servers but if you are going to use a free service try "Hotspot Shield". It's rated pretty highly and it might work for what you need.
With a subscription to VPN I can fake my IP address to post on a forum that I'm banned on?
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reverse Flash wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:28 am
Renee wrote: July 27th, 2020, 11:44 am

I´ll look into that one.

With a subscription to VPN I can fake my IP address to post on a forum that I'm banned on?
Yes, in most cases you should be able to. It's just like using any other proxy.

But what forums are you banned from? You seem like a pretty reasonable poster. You're always respectful and well mannered here.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

RF could be a better troll than them all, maybe we don't know the man so well after all. :laugh: