Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My friend is a pretty good cook, if I had them he would likely do it for me, he knows a restaurant owner that can get the crab, or Lobster fresh also so likely he would be my best bet.
Also he has seasonings from Louisiana, and Florida from some of their better restaurants he could boil them in

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Yes. Frozen is easily accessible at the store, and acceptable, but you can't beat fresh if you can easily get it!
Mel Gibson

And since Renee is East Coast, she'll probably tell you Snow Crab is best. Don't listen to her. King Crab is the Master Race.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Mel you must eat like a king and not the microwave dinner type.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:57 pm Yes. Frozen is easily accessible at the store, and acceptable, but you can't beat fresh if you can easily get it!
My friend gets them alive, they are flown in for the restaurants.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Reverse Flash wrote: July 12th, 2019, 11:02 pm Mel you must eat like a king and not the microwave dinner type.
Most of the time I eat absolute shit (I'm single), but once in a while I'll kick it up a notch or two and treat myself well!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Does anyone know what blue crab cost ?
I think my friend paid like $45 for 12 of them not long ago.
Mel Gibson

That may be more of a somewhat regionally limited variety, not so popular where I live...

Here, Alaskan King Crab rules the plates!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It's an east coast crab i believe.
My nephew went to Louisianan picked up some prawns, and crabs, and drove back here to have a party with them the next day, something like 40 lbs of the things still swimming around in a cooler.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:30 pm I think I had crab cakes once as a kid, I forget what they tasted like.
Maybe a good thing.
Crab cakes can be hit or miss. It depends entirely on who is making them....Best cab cakes ever....The Sea Grill in Rockefeller Plaza in NYC...I try to go there around Christmas because the restaurant looks right over the skating rink and the RFC Christmas Tree.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: July 12th, 2019, 11:07 pm Does anyone know what blue crab cost ?
I think my friend paid like $45 for 12 of them not long ago.
Around here they run $25 to $40 a live dozen, depending on the season... Prices have been steady climbing the past few years...They say the colder than normal seasonable temps have killed off about 35% of the female breeders.

So much for global warming...Maybe we need to increase the hours for daylight savings time...:kez: :laugh:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I guess he got a good price then being here, he got two buckets with live ones in them. Premium ones also that the restaurant people didn't get to go through first.
I guess he bragged a week about them, and his huge Oysters. :teehe:

My crab cakes likely came out of a can, so no telling what they really was. :yuk:
shin

Renee wrote: July 12th, 2019, 2:54 pm
shin wrote: July 10th, 2019, 12:01 pm
Renee wrote: July 5th, 2019, 11:42 am
Reverse Flash wrote: July 4th, 2019, 5:22 pm Speaking of burgers.

A North Carolina restaurant has conjured up a rather creepy creation available to a few 'lucky' customers in the form of a tarantula-topped burger!

The arachniphobe's nightmare is the brainchild of Durham's Bull City Burger and Brewery as part of their annual 'Exotic Meats Month.'

The rotating menu features a variety of interesting selections, such as rabbit, python, and camel, but it's the 'spider burger' that has taken the festivities by storm.

Aside from the sheer outrageousness of the meal, the tarantula-topped burger is also something of a rarity as the restaurant is only serving one per day.

Customers looking for the chance to chow down on the eight-legged oddity must enter a raffle and, should their number be pulled, are given a mere 48 hours to claim their spot at the spider table.

Provided they eat the entire burger, which sells for $30 dollars, the daring diners will receive a commemorative t-shirt celebrating their feat and also have to endlessly answer the question of what the tarantula tastes like.

To that end, those who have picked up the gourmet gauntlet say that it resembles some kind of shellfish, which, we guess, is better than tasting like chicken.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/ ... ed-Burgers
FUUUCK!!! :o

But then again I love softshell crabs...I imagine it might be similar....maybe... hopefully....no..:yuk:
Soft shell crab isn't bad. They have a nice. distinct, charming crab flavor, but I must be eating them all wrong. I end up chewing on a lot of shell.

Speaking of hairs. eating crab legs must not not all that far from eating hairs. I think legs aren't real far from being modified hairs on an evolutionary level if you consider what a paramecium's cilia and aspermatozoa's flagella are used for.
You're obviously not getting the crab early enough if you are eating shells. You have to get them right after they molt. It doesn't take long for their body to harden once they shed their shell. For the blue crabs we have around here, you have to get them within 12 hours of their molt or you run the risk of eating what feels like a thin papery shell. In fact it's called a "paper shell".

The other problem with soft shell crabs is that people and restuarants sometimes don't clean them properly. Crabs have this yellow goop in them that needs to be squeezed out before cooking. Some people think it's just fat but it's actually the organ that filters the crabs blood; similar to the liver or pancreas in vertebrates. You shouldn't eat it because that's where all the chemical impurities like mercury, PCBs and other inorganic toxins in the crabs body are concentrated...The same goes for the green stuff in a lobster.
I think being in Chicago so far from the ocean, the only real chance at getting quality seafood here is at a high end restaurant these days. The sushi bars have gone downhill as well.

We used to get live crab from an Asian merchant when I was an adolescent, but it does seem like marine life is dying out a bit.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Kroger, and a few other stores here, Walmart also in some locations sells live lobster, shellfish, and other things here.
I never thought the local stores stuff looked that healthy though.

:spit:
Ryanissimo
"Piano Man"
"Piano Man"

Well, I guess it's back to the old grind after my 2 week vacation.

Anything new and exciting happening around here?
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Nothing new.
Two weeks, nice :) hope you did something fun, and enjoyed it.
I think my friend here goes back to work today after his two weeks off, he worked at home most of it except for one night out to a concert.

Oh, feeling a bit better here today :) BP went down, swelling has, and I can see straight after two weeks of that mess. :happy:
Maybe I can enjoy the day, and have a vacation.
shin

Hi Blue Frost

Do you eat much seafood? I live in Chicago and we don't get a lot of good places to get it here, at least right now in proximity to me. I eat sushi sometimes, but sushi bars here open and close when they see the gettin' isn't as good as they thought. What remains is highly overpriced.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Hi :)

We have a few places, but they are high priced, and in the better parts of town.
We mostly have the generic chains like Captain D's, Long John Silver, and Red Lobster.
We have other places, but it's usually Catfish, and river fish being we are a river city.

If I want fish I get it from the store, and make it myself, Perch, Salmon, Catfish, Rainbow Trout, and occasionally some good Tuna.
I enjoy shrimp a lot of ways also.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Something good a friend made me one time was Shrimp ambrosia.
It was a good sized shrimp, some chicken, wrapped in bacon, some seasoning, and honey bbq on them.
He grilled them up, and brought them to me since I was pretty bad off at the time, I enjoyed every bite.
shin

That sounds delicious. Seems like a good friend.