Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Hello :-) ... Hows Life ?

I never saw an Alligator one, but we have snappers here.
A once friend of mine went swimming where we where all swimming, and one latched to his side, it wouldn't let go.
I'm not sure how he got it off, but he was screaming a lot, and left with it attached.

I used to catch a lot of snappers also, and save them from getting ran over at a place I worked.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Snapping turtles will walk for miles looking for water or new territory...I grew up in a very rual section of NJ. My parents had an inground pool. During dry summers we used to get snappers every so often in the pool we would get big ass rat snakes in the pool too :yuk: ...

My brother learned the hard way not just stick your hands in the skimmers and pull leaves and shit out when they were clogged...One day he grabbed what he thought was a big brown leaf and it was a baby snapper. It bit him pretty good and latched on to the side of his hand...Luckily the turtle was small maybe 4 inches in diameter but it gave him a hell of a bite...it got infected and left a nice scar too. Like with any reptile bite, you have to be careful because of the bacteria they have in their mouths. A turtle or a lizard or a non poisonous snake bite can get easily infected.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Snappers are one of the most filthy turtles I have noticed, they will live in anything moist, or wet including sewers.
They will also eat anything including long dead things.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Christ! In one way I'm lucky to live where I live I guess... It's too cold here for most creepy crawly shit to exist here that can harm you I guess. Ya, there's bugs and shit, and small rodents that are pests, but they are unable to harm humans.

I'll take our Bears, Moose, Elk, Wolves, and Deer anytime over weird shit that I'd have to swat out with a broom or pick up with a shovel!

These larger animals normally want nothing to do with people, so it's rare that you'd actually have to deal with them using extreme lethal prejudice! :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I don't mind snapping turtles, they are quite amusing to catch, and find I think.
You have to be careful with them, they can actually almost bite their own tail long as the neck can reach out.
The thing I hate when catching them is the smell, it's like septic tank on your hands sometimes.

Here we have a few poison snakes, hornets, and the occasional fire ant nest. '
The nuisance for me is the cats, filthy things, and nasty neighbors who let them out on peoples properties. :angry:
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:47 pm The nuisance for me is the cats, filthy things, and nasty neighbors who let them out on peoples properties. :angry:
My neighbours cat will occasionally wander through my yard, but I don't really have any flower beds for it to shit in, so it doesn't cause a problem. If it wants to catch mice, it's more than welcome!

My Grandparents on the other hand, had these beautiful flowerbeds all around their house, and their neighbours cats would constantly shit in them. This pissed my Grandfather off enough that he left bowls of car radiator anti-freeze out for them to drink! :laugh: Of course my Grandmother would remove these bowls because she didn't believe in poisoning the cats.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I wont hurt the cats, but will take them off to the great outdoors.
I have taken maybe 200 of them to Animal control, but I had to stop dealing with them.
In the past I have caught them sleeping in my cars, clawing up my seats, and convertible roof, killing other animals for no reason, and leaving them, and filling my beds with crap :angry:
Why do I get rid of them, yeah because I'm a bad person that's why, I just wish i could get rid of the owners who put them out that cost me money, and time.
I don't blame the cats by the way, they do what they do, but people shouldn't blame me for getting rid of them either.
Mel Gibson

There's no easy solution to the problem. Pet owners are lazy, and pets themselves have a horrible grasp of 'property lines,' since property lines don't exist to most animals...

A couple of dogs have been shot dead in my small rural community here wandering into the wrong yard, which is actually legal to do in Canada, but I don't go that route.

I actually like all animals, and don't mind them wandering up to me. There are ways to dissuade animals from wandering through a yard, without killing them.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have found no way of keeping cats away, and I have tried almost everything other than putting a water system in that waste water.
I have used everything from hair to hot pepper, predator urine, and even mothballs which the last two stinks as well.
I use a have a heart trap mostly, but a few I caught sleeping in my car, and ones that darted into my house.
Soon I will be getting my trap out again, I have warned a few people, but they think they have a right to let their animals out on my stuff.

Years back there was someone skinning them, and leaving their heads lay around, I wish they would come back :laugh:
I knew of a woman who poisoned them, she was a nice person, but hated cats, I found out when she asked me for used antifreeze.
Someone near me also shoots them, of course I get the blame for all missing cats around here. :laugh:
Mel Gibson

Trapping may still be the best non-lethal action then... Pic below is a Pack Rat I trapped, just before releasing him into his new environment many miles away from me and other people.

I modified this trap to have a hair-trigger, and he was captured in one day, while all other efforts had previously failed!

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

i caught 14 groundhogs in one week once, and took them over to the national forest a few miles away from here.
I hope they all found each other as smelly as they where.

I loaned my mouse trap out, and never got it back, had 5 in it at one time when my last neighbors moved out, nasty people.
I keep most my stuff off the ground out in my garage so no that many places for them, but still they come over here.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

What a cute little rat... I could never kill an animal either. I even help stray flies to make their way back out thru a window. The spiders I leave 'em be, they usually run and hide under a chair.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

As it should be you know, but the bad thing is sometimes it's necessary unfortunately.
The thing is though if people would prepare, and clean up stuff they wouldn't have so many pest.
Speaking of pest, how do you get rid of bad neighbors :think: need a bigger trap I guess.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Frosty, those bad neighbours... when are you gonna get that satellite you said about years back, the one with the laser beams. :cool: Can I borrow it when you're done. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I wish i had that, a nice beam from space how could they trace that to me :laugh:
Mel Gibson

Twilight turtle wrote: March 24th, 2021, 10:46 am What a cute little rat...
From a distance it's easy to confuse them with a small squirrel, because of bushy tail! This particular packrat is actually one of only a few species of rats that's actually native to North America, being found only in Western Canada and Western US... which is why they're sometimes referred to as a Rocky Mountain Rat. So in all fairness to this particular rat, they were here before people settled on this land!

Don't let their cute looks fool you though, as they can cause a lot of damage chewing things they shouldn't chew if they decide to build a nest in your attic or shed in search of a safe place out of the elements! And believe me they are active little buggers that are fairly intelligent! They are oddly attracted to shiny objects also...

It even pushed all my plastic funnels I use for oil changes off the counter and onto the floor in my shop. There is not a square inch of anything these things won't try to explore. I even found him under the hood of my truck when I went to check the oil.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

I noticed that fluffy tail... oh, those electrical wires indoors, yep... no way of knowing what they've chewed I 'spose. :( They sound like hamsters on the loose. I'd be worried too I think about electrical fire risks. He sounds like he's made a nice home at yours. Sometimes, I hear a bird scratching around in the attic above the living room at night over winter, in the corner but I know they're just likely wanting the dry and warmth. I'm in a flat/apartment.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Chipmunks here are like that, cute, but very destructive pest.
I have had to remove a lot of those over the years, one ate the seal off my garage door, and started on my car wiring.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: March 26th, 2021, 3:33 pm Chipmunks here are like that, cute, but very destructive pest.
I have had to remove a lot of those over the years, one ate the seal off my garage door, and started on my car wiring.
The rat started chewing the insulation on the firewall in my truck's engine bay! That's when I really knew he needed to go, before he got to any of the wiring!

Plus they shit all over the place, and it's just not hygienic to have that around...
Mel Gibson

Twilight turtle wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:46 am I noticed that fluffy tail... oh, those electrical wires indoors, yep... no way of knowing what they've chewed I 'spose. :( They sound like hamsters on the loose. I'd be worried too I think about electrical fire risks.
This was another problem, as my shop is wired up with electricity! I had really no idea what he was getting up to behind those walls... It hasn't burned down yet, so hopefully I removed him in time.