Elite Member

Re: Police Shootings, and abuse

BB-guns are like airsoft guns?

Plastic ball ammo?

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Odinson wrote: September 19th, 2021, 6:34 pm BB-guns are like airsoft guns?

Plastic ball ammo?
Not so much, one is plastic, the other metal.
I have had BBs go through garbage cans, and metal fencing.
Also being shot with both, the plastic has never broke the skin, just a slight whelp.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: September 19th, 2021, 6:17 pm
Blue Frost wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:12 pm
Renee wrote: September 18th, 2021, 4:18 pm
Blue Frost wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:24 am Been shot at myself a few times, I never acted like those guys, and I didn't have a gun at the time.
They lost all control, I'm surprised they didn't crap themselves.
I'm pretty sure at least one of them did. That was all that pogo sticking... Probably shaking the turds down their legs... :laugh:

Their back-up probably had to bring clean uniforms... :laugh:

I've never been in direct combat but I have had to draw my weapon and you cannot lose focus even for a second.... Competing in IDPA teaches you that. Even though you are not being shot at, you must remain focused at all times if you want to score decently. The scenarios created are done in such a way as to create a situation where you have to neutralize your target before they theoretically have enough time to do the same to you or harm any bystanders. You are timed and that time is factored into your score... It teaches you controlled fire, tactical reloading, firing accurately while moving and the use of cover... Most cops never practice any of that and when they have to draw their service weapon they are in complete panic mode. What you learn during police firearms qualification courses are for the most part useless in combat situations That video illustrated that perfectly.
I have been shot at, and weapons drawn on me several times in my life, unfortunately I didn't have a weapon at the time.
I was maybe nine the first time I was shot at, I have a scar on my hand from it.
The second time a boy shot at me in the field with a revolver several times, he didn't even come close at the range he was at.
The next time was in high school, a boy named Tony pulled a shotgun on me, it made me really angry, and i was trying to get a chance so i could beat him, and take the gun.
I had an old woman pull a gun on me for talking to her daughters one night :pardon:
I had an old woman pull a gun on me for honking my horn at her when she suddenly stopped, and almost caused me to get in an accident.
I had a driver shot at me once on the interstate.
Been shot at with rock salt, hit in the back of the leg.
My friend shot me in the leg with a .22
My brother shot me with an arrow when I was a kid in the leg :facepalm: a bb gun in the back also, then there is the hammer in the back of the head thing.
His friend shot me in the lip with a bb gun. :panic: that really hurt.
Knife fight, he had a knife, he cut my wrist, and I took knife, and gutted him.

I feel like I'm missing something, and now wondering why I'm still here, seems unrealistic all that.
I'm adrenal deficient now, I rarely get excited about anything, gun fire doesn't shock me either.

Those police need a lot more training, possibly some live fire training like the Army does at times.
They make the light gun training also, with a screen with targets, and bad guy also.
My brother's friend shot me with a bee bee gun in the ass when I was 12 while I was riding my bike. I was sort of out of range so it was somewhat spent but it still stung a little. My brother and him were laughing at me. They said it couldn't have hurt me because I was so fat. I beat the fuck out of him. It was a time in my life when I was a complete beast and would fight anyone that pissed me off. I had a temper that was dangerous... My brother had to pull me off of him otherwise I would have gouged his eyes out. He never messed with me again and actually we became friends when I was in HS. He apologized I don't know how many times when we were older. He still apologizes for it when I see him.. :laugh:
The beating was most deserving, been there several times.
My brother got quite a few beatings for stupid stuff like that, I remember he shot me between the shoulder blades, and I turned around, and beat him.
He always said it was an accident, well might be, but that still deserves a beating.

I can't remember shooting anyone, or anyone's property.
I was all into safety first, likely from all the westerns I watched growing up, and of course dad, and mom.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: September 19th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Plastic ball ammo?
Not so much, one is plastic, the other metal.
I have had BBs go through garbage cans, and metal fencing.
Also being shot with both, the plastic has never broke the skin, just a slight whelp.
Our airguns shoot 5,5mm lead bullets at pistol muzzle velocities.

The projective can be quite heavy and lethal.

I'm thinking that you call them "pellet guns" not BB-guns.

BB-guns are not as powerful as pellet guns.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have owned bb guns more powerful than a lot of pellet guns, but that was 70s, and 80s.
I have a pellet gun now that is up with a .22 rifle, but being the weight of the pellet is less it isn't as dangerous.
The air soft is primarily plastic bbs, they sting a bit, but pretty weak.

Oh, I have a bb pistol, and rifle still, pretty fun, but still not my pellet rifle which is a Gamo.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: September 19th, 2021, 7:37 pm I have owned bb guns more powerful than a lot of pellet guns, but that was 70s, and 80s.
I have a pellet gun now that is up with a .22 rifle, but being the weight of the pellet is less it isn't as dangerous.
The air soft is primarily plastic bbs, they sting a bit, but pretty weak.

Oh, I have a bb pistol, and rifle still, pretty fun, but still not my pellet rifle which is a Gamo.
I have a gamo too.

You can buy these bulkier bullets for them.

They are called G-hammer.
A lot heavier than your usual pellets.

15 grain I think.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Ill have a look, I need a more heavy one.
It's a loud gun, and I had the cops called on me before using it shooting cans.
I told them tell the people to mind their business, and them to get lost.

i would love to be nicer to them, really I would, but they have never did anything for me, just hindered things.
All I get from police is either a ticket for speeding, or if I call them a bunch of pandering to people who should be locked away.
I'm so sick of that crap, might as well be a criminal myself instead of being a door mat.
Mel Gibson

Plastic ball ammo?
Depends on country I guess. In Canada:

BB Gun = smooth bore gun that will shoot round shot. Air powered.

Pellet Gun = rifled gun that will shoot lead pellets formed to caliber. Air powered.

Airsoft = smooth bore gun that will shoot plastic shot.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Plastic ball ammo?
BB guns shoot a very hard round, usually copper plated shot, larger than number 4 birdshot but smaller than 00 buckshot....Depending upon the gun they can be rather powerful. Pneumatic pump action BB guns tend to be the most powerful of the brood with velocities of over 350 fps while the spring cocked guns (Red Ryder etc) not so much... Either of the type are dangerous at close range and not meant to be used irresponsibly. They are not toys and you are not supposed to shoot people with them for shits and giggles.

In North America some 21,000 air gun injuries a year are usually recorded with about 3 or 4 deaths annually. Almost all of them can be attributed to dimwitted clowns thinking that BB and pellet guns are toys.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: September 20th, 2021, 10:19 am

Plastic ball ammo?
BB guns shoot a very hard round, usually copper plated shot, larger than number 4 birdshot but smaller than 00 buckshot....Depending upon the gun they can be rather powerful. Pneumatic pump action BB guns tend to be the most powerful of the brood with velocities of over 350 fps while the spring cocked guns (Red Ryder etc) not so much... Either of the type are dangerous at close range and not meant to be used irresponsibly. They are not toys and you are not supposed to shoot people with them for shits and giggles.

In North America some 21,000 air gun injuries a year are usually recorded with about 3 or 4 deaths annually. Almost all of them can be attributed to dimwitted clowns thinking that BB and pellet guns are toys.
The stock airsoft guns deliver 300+ fps... And they are automatic... Gas or electric operated.

I´ve heard that you can get metal BBs for them.
They shoot each other with them.

The Gamo pellet guns are in their category entirely... They are pretty lethal.
Mel Gibson

In Canada, you actually need a gun license to purchase or own a BB/Pellet gun that fires rounds above 500 feet per second. They are considered actual firearms in the eyes of the law. I don't agree with this, but it probably does prevent accidents.

That's why many air guns sold here are capped at 495 feet per second. We view those as toys, as they aren't classified as firearms.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Air and gas operated guns dont need a permit in Finland

The common models in the store shoot 1000 fps.

You just have to be 18 years old.

Some of them have 1500 fps... No need for permit.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 5:01 am Air and gas operated guns dont need a permit in Finland

The common models in the store shoot 1000 fps.

You just have to be 18 years old.

Some of them have 1500 fps... No need for permit.
In many states in the US all you need is a form of ID and to be of legal age. Here in NJ, bb and pellet guns of all types are considered firearms and you need your Firearms ID Card to purchase.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Interesting, I never needed an ID even as a kid.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:11 pm Interesting, I never needed an ID even as a kid.
Here, low powered air guns (under 500 FPS) don't have a minimum age to purchase or own, but many retailers set their own policy and will only sell them to people age 18 and up.

I suppose it would be easy enough for little Johnny to order his Daisy online without much hassle if he wanted to though...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I grew up in better times, no ID needed in most places.
I'm not sure the power of my first BB gun, but being it went through two sheets of good galvanized sheet metal I would say it was pretty good.
It was a pump of course, not the one cock guns.
I'm not sure if my Gamo pellet gun would go through those metal sheets now, and it I think is 1250 or 1450 fps.

I remember us kids riding around the neighborhood shooting up metal garbage cans :pardon: I think we needed a good butt kicking for that, but it was fun.
Mel Gibson

I think most retailers here want the purchaser to be 18 for possible liability reasons: If Johnny buys an air gun, waves it around at the cops and gets shot, the retailer can at least say they sold it to an adult and not a minor. That's what I think.

Online purchases don't require proof of age though.

That said, we grew up in different times. A kid with an air gun back then wouldn't raise many eyebrows. Now the SWAT team may arrive to pay you a visit should a 'concerned citizen' call you in...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I had the police called on me years back when shooting in my back yard with mine.
I told them get lost, and go tell that neighbor to mind their business, and other not so nice things.

When I was a kid I shot shotguns back there, a lot.
Mel Gibson

Ya, it's not like things used to be. My neighbours are good, and probably wouldn't care if I shot in my back yard. But just to be sure I'd let them know of my intentions beforehand, just so it wouldn't be a surprise for them to see a guy walking around in the back with what looks (and can also sound) like a real gun. I don't like unexpected visits from the cops!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm sure by now I have a rep for being an A-hole even though I'm not, and they are.
I leave everyone alone, and stay to myself, it's when they are A-holes, I don't take it, and it makes me the bad guy :kez:
Just leave me the F alone right, freaking nasty shits.

I shouldn't have been shooting shotguns as a kid back there, but I'm not the only one in those times.