Police Shootings, and abuse

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

One could say a turd is tasty if you are a dung beetle also.
Sorry, but I would have shot her just like he did, even grandma doesn't get a pass acting like she did.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

She was obviously very agitated about something....someone cancel the bingo game?

"YOU GUNNA HALF TO SHOOT ME, NIGGA.... :laugh:

:laugh: White people, doing stupid shit... :laugh:

But seriously, that may have been an unnecessary shoot.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yeah he could have tasered her when she was behind the counter, but coming at him what was he to do.
Take a foot to her she still can kill you, or injurer you.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

I look at it this way: If someone broke into my home, and I confronted them with my pistola finding that they had a knife or other sharp object in their hand, what happens next totally depends on the perp... If he backs away and leaves, he won't get shot. If he makes any advances towards me, he gets shot.

The outcome is totally in the hands of the perp, and the actions he chooses to make.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Melskie, you are a tough hombre.
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: November 4th, 2019, 1:51 am Melskie, you are a tough hombre.
I'm not though! I just understand that anyone advancing with a knife towards someone aiming a pistol clearly has a mission, and will most likely carry out that mission unless shot.

I also understand that even one stab wound in the right place can quickly end your life, and it's not wise to let someone close the gap by even once inch while they hold said knife.

Even in this "liberated" country I live in, any Judge would deem such a use of force scenario as justifiable self defense.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:50 pm Yeah he could have tasered her when she was behind the counter, but coming at him what was he to do.
Once he let it get to the point that she openly attacked him it was too late.

Tasering an armed perp is perfectly acceptable. I would have tasered her when she was behind the counter. She was armed and behaving in a none complaint and threatening manner. The cop would have been justified in doing so. Unfortunately he was dumb and let the situation escalate. This was especially bad because their were innocent bystanders in the room.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: November 4th, 2019, 10:55 am
Blue Frost wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:50 pm Yeah he could have tasered her when she was behind the counter, but coming at him what was he to do.

Tasering an armed perp is perfectly acceptable. I would have tasered her when she was behind the counter. She was armed and behaving in a none complaint and threatening manner. The cop would have been justified in doing so. Unfortunately he was dumb and let the situation escalate. This was especially bad because their were innocent bystanders in the room.
I think he did right even though he could have tasered her, it was her who escalated it, he just expected her to be rational when he arrived which was the mistake.
could have gone either way, but she got what she asked for.
Personally I would have tasered her when she was behind the counter, but soon as she came out I would have shot her.

Another thing, It would bother me a lot shooting a woman, or kid, I don't know if I could continue being a cop after that.
Being old fashion I guess anything like that bothers me including that video even though he was in his right to protect himself, and the community.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: November 4th, 2019, 1:34 am I look at it this way: If someone broke into my home, and I confronted them with my pistola finding that they had a knife or other sharp object in their hand, what happens next totally depends on the perp... If he backs away and leaves, he won't get shot. If he makes any advances towards me, he gets shot.

The outcome is totally in the hands of the perp, and the actions he chooses to make.
Being close quarters if i see them with a weapon they are likely going to be shot, I wont give them a chance to assault me.
Maybe it they drop it when they see me they will live, otherwise the job hazard got them.
I have my mother to think about, sometimes like now my nephew, or niece.

My older nephew broke in once because he lost his key, he was met in the dark with a pistol in his face.
He was lucky I knew who it was by his shape, and Sasquatch feet.
He never did that again.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: November 4th, 2019, 1:34 am I look at it this way: If someone broke into my home, and I confronted them with my pistola finding that they had a knife or other sharp object in their hand, what happens next totally depends on the perp... If he backs away and leaves, he won't get shot. If he makes any advances towards me, he gets shot.

If someone armed breaks into my home, I'm not waiting to see what he or she will do.

An armed intruder usually has one thing on his or her mind and that's murder or some other kind of mayhem and I'm not stopping to read the asshole's mind, body language or whatever.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:49 am

Being close quarters if i see them with a weapon they are likely going to be shot, I wont give them a chance to assault me.
Maybe it they drop it when they see me they will live, otherwise the job hazard got them.

My older nephew broke in once because he lost his key, he was met in the dark with a pistol in his face.
He never did that again.
So your nephew is the one leaving all those foot prints....and you said it was lost hippies.... Sure, blame it one some innocent slob....:kez: :laugh:
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:43 am

I think he did right even though he could have tasered her, it was her who escalated it, he just expected her to be rational when he arrived which was the mistake.
Personally I would have tasered her when she was behind the counter, but soon as she came out I would have shot her.

Another thing, It would bother me a lot shooting a woman, or kid, I don't know if I could continue being a cop after that.
Being old fashion I guess anything like that bothers me including that video even though he was in his right to protect himself, and the community.
She made the move...but the cop let it happen. The more I watch that video the more I think he should have tasered her before the situation escalated.

The creed "To Protect and Serve" should have been on the cops mind from the beginning. There were "innocents" in the room. They should have been his first concern and not just regarding the danger from the armed perp. Firing live rounds in room were a bystander could end up in the line of fire is a BAD idea. Less than lethal methods should have been employed as soon as the perp did not comply to the first command to disarm.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:58 am
Blue Frost wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:49 am

He never did that again.
So your nephew is the one leaving all those foot prints....and you said it was lost hippies.... Sure, blame it one some innocent slob....:kez: :laugh:
He's kind of a hippie, he voted for Burnout sanders because his wife did.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Renee wrote: November 4th, 2019, 12:09 pm
Blue Frost wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:43 am

She made the move...but the cop let it happen. The more I watch that video the more I think he should have tasered her before the situation escalated.

The creed "To Protect and Serve" should have been on the cops mind from the beginning. There were "innocents" in the room. They should have been his first concern and not just regarding the danger from the armed perp. Firing live rounds in room were a bystander could end up in the line of fire is a BAD idea. Less than lethal methods should have been employed as soon as the perp did not comply to the first command to disarm.
Could have, and soon as he came into the place he should have told them to back out.
Anyhow, I think he thought she would have complied which was his mistake.
Still she got what she asked for, and it was a good reason to shoot her when she came round the counter.
Mel Gibson

We also have to bear in mind what protocol is in use when a single cop arrives to find an armed perp... Is a tazer attempt something that would even be bothered with, or would protocol be to go straight to potential lethal force? People can move fast with knives, and perhaps in these scenarios officers are trained to simply go directly to firearm...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Great point Mel, and you really can't take a chance when someone is irrational.
Also every situation is different, we can sit here, and say this, and that, but in the heat of the moment you do what your trained to do best you can if you don't freeze up.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: November 5th, 2019, 1:32 am Great point Mel, and you really can't take a chance when someone is irrational.
Also every situation is different, we can sit here, and say this, and that, but in the heat of the moment you do what your trained to do best you can if you don't freeze up.
Exactly. It is easy to armchair quarterback, but every person and situation is different! And that goes for both the cop and the perp! In that other vid, we see just how close a cop came to having his head cut off buy a perp armed with a knife, even after perp had already been shot!

Unfortunately policing now requires much more than it once did... My parents were both RCMP, and they said that this is a line of work that you now no longer want to consider. In the olden days, police would police. Step out of line? Expect a crack of the billy club to set you straight.

Now they have to be mental health practitioners, social services workers, and who knows what else, without actually applying for those jobs in the first place, nor being adequately trained to play those roles in the first place. Reason being, is the nuthouses that once housed these people no longer do. So, they are now society's problem.

On top of that, in this modern day and age of everything being recorded on vid, you will have your every action criticized, whether you did good or bad.

They deal with people that we normally would never deal with... People that are often in the worst five minutes of their entire lives, and in that situation you will never know what the outcome could be.

I am not "pro-cop," but I can understand the difficulties they face, at times, when dealing with what modern society has become. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't, it seems. While there are certainly cops that are not fit for the role and shouldn't be currently employed in law enforcement, I think the vast majority of officers do the job fairly well, considering what they have to work with.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm pro good cop that tries to do a good job, and not one of the punk cops that deserve to be shot, that goes for judges also.

The cop that got grabbed, he I believe was a victim of this political correctness mindset, and all the things you mentioned about why not be a cop now.
Seattle has a major shortage of cops because they can't be cops, and society there has a lot of anti cop mentality.
Funny thing is when you do get cops in situations like that they are usually the bad cops without good morals, and training.
I really food bad for the cops there that try, they don't deserve that treatment, and hands tied behind there back stuff.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Like this video, the media is helping make things worse is why the mayor put out the whole video.
But many are still calling Racial bias, or the race card thing.
If the punk just left, or cooperated he could have went his way, and not be used by the likes of race baiters.
Arms are not made though to be pulled back that far, but he was resisting so he got what he asked for, not really the cops fault.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel is right for a change. Being a cop today is a very, very difficult job. It is no longer a matter of being an authority figure in a uniform as it was when my dad started on the force in the 1970s. Back then police work was different. Violence against a perp was rarely questioned unless the reaction on the part of an arresting officer was so egregious, that it couldn't be hidden or excused. Cops who were chronically violently were simply moved from dept to dept and their actions were shuffled under the rug. Furthermore, every facet of police work was not recorded as it is today, so in some cases they got away with murder...literally.

My father can tell you that during his 30 year tenure, a lot of things changed in law enforcement, not just technically but legally and socially as well. Cops today need to be social workers, half assed psychologists, family counselors and amature lawyers. They need to be close students of the law like never before. In most departments here in NJ, a 2 year associates in criminal law is no longer good enough for a graduate of the police academy to get a job on a force. Most cadets without a 4 year degree go on a waiting list and end up as corrections officers (Dept of Rejections) or in some other bottom of the barrel law enforcement capacity. In fact the NJ State Police are now requiring that all new incoming officers have at the very least a bachelor's in criminal law and then sit for the bar exam within a specified time period after being hired.

When dad started in law enforcement (1972) it was much different...My dad was an ex-marine with 2 tours of Vietnam under his belt. Half of his second tour he spent as an MP so he was almost a shoe-in for getting hired as a cop....All he did was pass a civil servant's exam and attend the police academy for 6 weeks, lie like a bastard on his psych test, ...and voila... an instant rookie police officer... They didn't even have to add water.. :kez: ..Because of his miltary background, he ended up on a dept in one of the worst shithole, crime ridden cities in the state. During his career he was stabbed twice and shot once, recieved multiple commendations and metals for bravery which he now refers to as his " certificates of stupidity"... :laugh:

Also at the time of his hire, my dad had PSTD and was emotionally unstable...He was violent and prone to fits of rage, he had recurring nightmares where as a young child, I can remember him waking up in the middle of the night screaming and was frequently clinically depressed; all scars from his time in Vietnam....Of course their was department ordered counseling available and his department sent him at least 3 times for counseling which was just rubber stamp bullshit. All they cared about was keeping officers on their patrol assignment. So they sent him to some quack head shrinker which always ended the same way... FIT FOR DUTY.

It wasn't until my mom who is lawyer, had enough and convinced him to seek real help from a qualified mental health professional, or she was going to take my brother and me and leave his ass....Then with the help of qualified doctors he turned it around. Ironically his treatment had to be kerp secret from the department or he would have lost his job. So my parents ended up paying thousands in medical bills out of pocket.

Ultimately he became a damn good cop. In fact better than just good...by the time he retired he was probably one of the most respected police officers in the state. But it took a long time and he had to learn how to evolve as police work changed in response to a changing society....Today most police departments in the US wouldn't even touch a guy like my dad. He would never be able to pass the psychological tests. He would be far too much of a liability.

Mel is also right about how most cops today are basically good people doing the best they can under the circumstances they are placed under. It's cannot be easy being responsible for the public safety and walking a line between doing what your are required to do while not getting caught up in the demonization that the political and legal community, along with the court of public opinion, so eagerly want's to brand you with. Your every action on and off duty is scrutinized and critiqued and if you give any precieved indication of improper behavior; you are crucified. Although at one time in my younger years I want a career in law enforcement; I would not want that career now.