Bought four new patio chairs today...

General talk, and discussion.
Mel Gibson

It's pretty fucking clear from the MWR (Maximum Weight Rating), that these chairs should suit my lifestyle, even though I don't like to entertain much past 200lbs...

Existing patio chairs are heavy metal framed ones, which require a separate cushion to sit on also, which I hate (and have always hated), and as such I will disassemble them and throw them in the trash...

Mel Gibson

And here you thought that us Hoseheads were Metric... We might be Metric, but we might not be too! We might be Standard also... Confusion is more for us, than for any another nation! :laugh:

Believe it or not, chairs are actually Made in Canada! (I check everything)...

We know pounds, inches & feet...

Damn you America, and your systems!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We use a lot of metric here Mel, most the tooling, and hardware anymore is metric.
I like metric better as I got older, but still like standard for carpentry since it's not as precise the way measuring is done in the US.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

We wanted to go Metric, but living on top of you guys, we never could fully do that! Some things have successfully converted over, like speed limits and liquid volumes, but we still generally refer to weight in pounds, and length/width/height in feet & inches.

Probably will always be that way. When you know a sheet of plywood is 4'X8', and it measures 4'X8', it's kind of hard not to know it as anything else!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

They tried here in the late 80s in our schools, but it failed, and most the idiot kids couldn't grasp it after learning the other their whole life even if the basics on standard.
Most could do an inch, or half inch even, but couldn't grasp much more breakdown on the inch.
I got the jobs I had over time because I could get the break down, and go as far as you can if given the time, i have done some fine machinist stuff with calipers. You got to with tooling, and machine work.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Even on my Harley, half the fasteners are Standard, and the other half are Metric!

Some sizes are almost identical, like 3/4" = 19mm, but I'm not so sure that works for all sizes! These days, anyone in construction, mechanical, etc., would need an understanding of both systems, and a full tool set comprising of both Standard and Metric tools!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

10 mm, 14mm, 17mm, 18, and 19mm are big ones here, 10 especially.
What I hate is the 4.5mm, and 5.5, and the likes :facepalm: Some cheep a-hole had to add those bolts, and nuts to stuff you work on.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

I dislike the plastic ones..

They are not built to handle my fat ass. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Beware of plastic, my dad sit in one once, and it grabbed his sack, and bit it. :spit:
The seat cracked, when he sit down, and chomped down, you should have seen his face.
Mel Gibson

These ones, as you can see, are rated for 350 lbs! They make special reinforced chairs for you fat guys (and girls) to bring along with you to events...

The metal ones I had, while OK, were really quite heavy. Too heavy for a patio chair. Also, they used cushions, which isn't really ideal for an outdoor chair in my opinion.

It rains here all the time, and plastic is probably ideal for outside chair. Light, and easy to clean. Just wipe down. Plus, they're cheap if some fat ass manages to break one! They're like $20/piece.

But no doubt they will get brittle over time, and that's when they'll crack and grab yer balls! Probably best to replace them every few years when they start looking a little too 'weathered'.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

After that mishap they all went to the garbage, we got metal ones. i have a nice cloth one for the park, it's rater for 250 lbs, I likely will give it away soon.
I'm 220, and not fat, well except for my fat head :spit:
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

My set is those brown woven plastic kind. Both the chairs and table fold up. My outdoor area is covered. Unlike my last place it was open. Kinda stupid to have open balconies and yards in an area that does nothing but rain.
Mel Gibson

What's the GVW on them?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have a cast iron set on the back porch with a fake wicker one, metal ones on the front.
My fat family can sit in them no trouble, and that says a lot for them, the chairs that is. :spit:
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

Mel Gibson wrote: May 16th, 2019, 4:33 am What's the GVW on them?
You must be so entertaining at parties. :kez:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: May 15th, 2019, 8:40 pm Beware of plastic, my dad sit in one once, and it grabbed his sack, and bit it. :spit:
The seat cracked, when he sit down, and chomped down, you should have seen his face.
I´m hurting just from reading that. :laugh:
Mel Gibson

Berry Sweet wrote: May 17th, 2019, 6:52 am You must be so entertaining at parties. :kez:
Why? Because I asked what the weight limit on your chairs are?

If you don't know the weight limit, you just need to say, "I'm not sure"...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

LOL, my sister had a recliner, and her fat friend crushed it :laugh:
the woman asked "did I do that" :laugh:
Mel Gibson

Weight limits are there for a reason!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Hey, fatties got a sit also, be prepared.
I'm 220, and broke a few chairs myself, cheep ones. I even got a 350 lb ladder last i bought one.