Mel's hole

General talk, and discussion.
Mel Gibson

Re: Mel's hole

Unfortunately the people in the pic above are SOL... No easy access to river at the bottom, and due to the sensitive environmental nature of the area, they would never be permitted to dump rocks or cars over from the top. They can't get slide insurance, and government disaster relief only kicks in once the dwelling itself is actually damaged!

They have two choices really: Keep the property, or sell it... It's a beautiful area, Blue! Looking for a hell of a deal on a house by the river in the future? Only caveat is, house might one day slide over the edge! :)

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We have a lot of limestone beds, and cliffs by the river so you can find a good spot if you looked long enough.
Also you can do the concrete thing here, and buttress up the banks.
Still I don't like our river areas here, filthy, and always the flood thing, we have a massive river with the Ohio, it can get quite scary fast.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Wildfire prompts evacuation alert for 305 homes in B.C.'s Slocan Valley
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5696806

Got yer bags packed Mel? If it isn't houses falling into the river, it's those damn wildfires coming to burn it down. Paradise is in flames.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Is someone setting them, or what.
It's funny how a lot start at once in some areas.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: August 24th, 2020, 3:48 am Is someone setting them, or what.
It's funny how a lot start at once in some areas.
Lightning. You would be amazed at some of the lightning shows around here, being close to the mountains... Just like a cheap horror film with bright flashes and loud cracks, except in real life! The thunder is close enough to rattle windows.
Mel Gibson

beanthere wrote: August 24th, 2020, 1:36 am Got yer bags packed Mel? If it isn't houses falling into the river, it's those damn wildfires coming to burn it down. Paradise is in flames.
I'm just outside the evacuation zone, so OK for now...

Then again, if this place burnt down it would be a blessing in disguise, as insurance would build me a new home of equal value from scratch!

My luck is not so good though... My house would probably be the only house in the area left standing after the wildfire, even though I'm the only one that actually wants it to burn down! :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We haven't had a good lightning storm in years here, I used to enjoy them.
I know they cause fires, but a lot are started by punks like those in Australia was it last year.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: August 24th, 2020, 4:32 am We haven't had a good lightning storm in years here, I used to enjoy them.
I know they cause fires, but a lot are started by punks like those in Australia was it last year.
This area especially, due to the mountainous terrain, can see thunderstorms roll in super fast, and often without much warning.

It can be sunny, then all of a sudden massive lightning will appear (sometimes with heavy rain, but not always), and then the clouds blow away and it's sunny again!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Geographic, that's what happens :teehe:
We had one maybe 35 years ago that rolled in, and took out a lot of trees, and caused major power outages.
I remember going to bed, the power went out, and one almost came through the window, and I jumped, and hit my head on the ceiling down here. :laugh:
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Coming soon to a community like Mel's

Immigration pilot program offers newcomers an alternative to settling in B.C.'s big cities
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5900291
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Yep. If it ain't one kind of indian, it'll be another. When Mel get's too old to work, he can hire the dream team.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Mel Gibson

beanthere wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:43 pm Coming soon to a community like Mel's
Immigration pilot program offers newcomers an alternative to settling in B.C.'s big cities
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5900291
There's nowhere safe anymore, it seems! :(

Hopefully they'll use this pilot program to 'settle' here, and then quickly move to Calgary, Vancouver, or Surrey!

That said, we could use more tradesmen here... Half the trades guys I call don't even phone me back.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

There is an increasing shortage of tradesmen and materials too. When my son graduated high school a few years back, he was in a class of more than 300 kids.
As they came forward to recieve their diplomas, it was announced what each one would do with their lives. You could count the number of wannabe tradespeople on both hands. That includes all the trades..Auto mechanics, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, all of them. The two red seal trades that had higher yields were culinar arts, and hairdressers. Kids these days are conditioned to believe that if you work hard, you are not working smart.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Record-high lumber prices add as much as $30K to the cost of building a house

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lumber ... -1.5973416

And have you seen the quality of lumber they sell us these days? Licorice sticks and banana boards!

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Mel's new mechanic
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Then again, maybe you can get your neigbor to give you a hand with things, just as soon as he's out of the hospital. :)
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I know of three cousins in my family that are hair dressers, and one want to be.
One mechanic, one contractor, several nurses, one stay at home lawyers assistant, a teacher, and one lot of sorry do nothings.

I myself used to be a do it all Maintenance person till I got on at Ford, and now useless because my injuries.
Life for my Generation wasn't good for the find a job thing, it's getting worse, but a good trade will get you through life as it always would.
You don't need collage, a trade in demand will do, and do you well, and later in life you can start your own business if not sooner in life like many have.
I didn't have money, or time for a trade, but I wish now I tried harder to do so, be it electrician, or something else it would have been worth it.
Mel Gibson

beanthere wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 1:49 pm Record-high lumber prices add as much as $30K to the cost of building a house
Covid has affected pretty much anything construction related... Lumber tripling or even quadrupling in price. I had a hard time even finding cedar trees to finish off a hedge: The nursery said they'd never seen anything like it. Tradesmen here now have months of work lined up, and most won't even return calls.

I still have some work to do here where I need to call in a couple trades, but I've pretty much put that on hold for now. Until this COVID BS is over (if that ever even happens), it makes no sense for me to wait around for trades that won't call back, and won't be able to source materials anyhow for their normal price.

I feel sorry for people trying to build a new house right now... Even if one can do most of the work themselves, they'll be paying tens of thousands of dollars more than they planned. And lumber isn't the only thing that builds a house, so they'll be paying more for all the other materials also.