The Scam-Bags

General talk, and discussion.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

The Scam-Bags

As COVID surged, Indian police shut down scam centres targeting Canadians. Now, they're back
https://www.cbc.ca/news/marketplace/mar ... -1.5947798

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Re: The Scam-Bags

I still don't know how people are so stupid as to think that a bank or government agency wants to be paid in gift cards. I get these calls all the time, and every so often, I get a call from someone asking me why I called them. Apparently, my phone number is being used to make ghost calls by scammers. :angry:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I was receiving scam telephone calls claiming to be from Telus offering a better phone deal however their pronunciation was irritatingly bad and they kept trying to get personal information.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My latest is from someone claiming to be from Amazon about an $800 I phone being sent to me.
If you are this purchaser call xxxxxxxx, if not press one. I don't answer those calls, and wont.
Best thing to do is look up your account, and see for yourself, not talk to anyone unless you call the Amazon Number on Amazon.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

I´ve received a few dozen calls from foreign numbers..

I´ve answered but the call immediately shuts off.

They are trying to trick me into calling back and paying some enormous fee.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

India is bad for them here, and I get a lot of calls from Black people scamming.

There is a bunch also that scam the elderly trying to act like family in trouble, they use their kids, and grand kids names.
A friend of mine who died last year was scammed out of $5000, the person told her it was her grandson, and he needed bail money.
He told her to go to Wallgreens drug store, and send him the card.
She months later asked the grandson for the money back, and he didn't have a clue.
Last year someone tried to do the same to my mother, she knew better.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

My tactic? When they ask for my info, I say "Just a minute, let me go grab my wallet."

I then leave the phone off the hook while I go do something else. Sometimes I leave the phone off the hook for a couple of hours.

This tactic has drastically cut down the amount of shit calls I receive!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I had ours cut down, but my mother keeps answering them, and pushing one to get off their list you never get off of.
I get on her about it, but she does it anyhow.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

This story from yesterday.

The Burnaby RCMP is reminding residents to be vigilant when releasing personal information after receiving reports of a scam that ends up with people’s bank accounts being "emptied."

The first scam involves the scammer gaining access to the victim’s name and cell phone number, most often by stealing mail, say local RCMP.

“The scammer will then call the cell phone provider and impersonate the victim to gain access to their account and port the phone number to another SIM card and phone,” says a police news release. “Once access is gained, the scammer then downloads a series of the most popular and most attractive applications. They will select the 'Forgot Password' button on all applications. If an account is associated to your phone number or email address, the fraudster will receive a verification code. They will then use this code to confirm ownership of the account, create their own password and takeover the accounts.”

According to police, with this information, they may:

• Empty your bank accounts;
• Apply for credit in your good name, and
• Impersonate you to defraud your entire contact list.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm glad my bank will pay me back if something like that happens, my credit card also.
The thing is they can wreck your credit, and cause a lot of hassle, and worry.

Just thought of something, i think Ill change some accounts to my secure email, i did make it for business reasons, and safety.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Blue Frost wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm My latest is from someone claiming to be from Amazon about an $800 I phone being sent to me.
If you are this purchaser call xxxxxxxx, if not press one. I don't answer those calls, and wont.
Best thing to do is look up your account, and see for yourself, not talk to anyone unless you call the Amazon Number on Amazon.
Frosty, I've been getting those lately... calls from "Amazon" saying I bought an iphone for 399.99. Or a Disney subscription coming out of the bank account and press # to cancel it or talk to an adviser. Don't they realize people like us talk. :scratch:
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Mel Gibson wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:25 am My tactic? When they ask for my info, I say "Just a minute, let me go grab my wallet."

I then leave the phone off the hook while I go do something else. Sometimes I leave the phone off the hook for a couple of hours.

This tactic has drastically cut down the amount of shit calls I receive!
That's a good one.... inconvenience them instead. A few years back, my mum kept getting calls offering her to change her to another phone service. She said she hadn't got a bank account, they then asked how she pays her bills, so she said by cash to get rid of 'em.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Twilight turtle wrote: March 24th, 2021, 9:54 am
Blue Frost wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm My latest is from someone claiming to be from Amazon about an $800 I phone being sent to me.
Frosty, I've been getting those lately... calls from "Amazon" saying I bought an iphone for 399.99. Or a Disney subscription coming out of the bank account and press # to cancel it or talk to an adviser. Don't they realize people like us talk. :scratch:
Today has been busy for the phone, I just don't answer, if important they can leave a message, or Ill hear, and pick up.
8 calls so far, all scams.

I kept one on 20 minutes one time, and then hung up on them after leaving them alone, they called another four times the next few days.
I should inform them I charge by the minute, and tell them I need their credit card number. :teehe:
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Frosty 8 times... wow. :kez: I think I had 4 calls one day not long ago. It makes you dread it when the phone rings now. We all need to use a secret code from our family and friends or something. Getting silly now, wonder what else they'll cook up next.

Yeah, that'd be good... turn the tables on them. :cool:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

8 is up to 11 now, ridicules today.
I can't block anymore calls, or i would.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Crafty aren't they... using a diff number each time. I'm still waiting for the iphone I didn't order. :wink:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

spoofing numbers is what they do on the computer, we have got calls from our own number many times.
I just don't answer anymore unless people talk leaving a message, or it's a recognized number.

One scammer today, been quiet :)
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

I've gotten a lot of local numbers calling for the last week...I know they are scams and proxy numbers. I don't answer my phone if someone is not on my contact list, nor do I check my messages.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Best not answering, it just says hi i'm here call more.
With an answering machine well they call anyhow. :scratch: what to do.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

I usually don't answer if I don't recognize the answer. Been thinking though of calling them back and telling them that they won't live forever and when they die, Shiva is going to get them and eat their livers because they are evil liars and cheats and will become Shiva's prey.