Dessert

General talk, and discussion.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Odinson wrote: Were your grandfathers in WW2? Or in the Korean war?
I believe my Dad's father served in the British Army in N. Africa during WWII. At least that's what I've been told. After he was discharged he married and moved to the US in 1948. My other grandfather served in the US Army during WWII and took part in the invasion of Sicily and Italy. He met my grandmother there.

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

Mine wasn't in those wars, one was in missigan building aircraft with my grandmother though for WW2.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Renee wrote:
I believe my Dad's father served in the British Army in N. Africa during WWII. At least that's what I've been told. After he was discharged he married and moved to the US in 1948. My other grandfather served in the US Army during WWII and took part in the invasion of Sicily and Italy. He met my grandmother there.
Do you have any german relics? Like a rifle or a pistol?

You have italian ancestry and that explains why you are a pistol. :laugh:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Blue Frost wrote:
Mine wasn't in those wars, one was in missigan building aircraft with my grandmother though for WW2.
Making weapons was as essential as fighting during those years.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

I think they built B-17 Bombers, but I might be just thinking that.
My dad used to talk about it, it was when he was a little kid, he collected scrap metal to sell for the war effort. He was hurt one time when he found out someone stole it from him.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

I personally don't have any German WWII era weapons but my father has a collection of that stuff along with a bunch of Allied weapons from that era.

I do have a Yugo M59/66 SKS from the Balkan conflict. It's in really nice shape, I'd say about 90% and it has phosphorus night sights that still glow and it's more than combat accurate out to 100 yards

The 22mm grenade launcher is fun as well. It will throw dummy grenades over 100 meters. I'd like to get my hands on a case of armor piercing grenades :). I'm afraid depending which way the election goes tomorrow, I might need them. :laugh:

Just kidding.... :kez:
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

I have a Polish folding Ak, and some Ars and variants, nothing ww1 or 2, but would like a few like the M1, and some others.
I always wanted a Gatling gun :)
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Renee wrote:
Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

I personally don't have any German WWII era weapons but my father has a collection of that stuff along with a bunch of Allied weapons from that era.

I do have a Yugo M59/66 SKS from the Balkan conflict. It's in really nice shape, I'd say about 90% and it has phosphorus night sights that still glow and it's more than combat accurate out to 100 yards

The 22mm grenade launcher is fun as well. It will throw dummy grenades over 100 meters. I'd like to get my hands on a case of armor piercing grenades :). I'm afraid depending which way the election goes tomorrow, I might need them. :laugh:

The german WW2 weapons have a big collectors market... Also the other original german stuff.
That is in europe.

Service record plays a big part..
You got a notorious Luger that killed some jews, the price skyrockets.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Old west stuff would sell in Europe...

Like the version of Colt that Clint Eastwood uses in the good, the bad and the ugly.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Odinson wrote: Old west stuff would sell in Europe...

Like the version of Colt that Clint Eastwood uses in the good, the bad and the ugly.
If I'm not mistake that was an 1851 navy, converted.

The original 1851 was cap and ball and was made famous by Wild Bill Hickok.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Renee wrote:

Thats what I thought after some reading.. The 1851navy colt is a percussion cap revolver..
Clint Eastwood loads cartridges in it.

Wild Bill Hickok´s revolver and General Lees personal sidearm.. Thats a dream revolver.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:
Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

The german WW2 weapons have a big collectors market... Also the other original german stuff.
That is in europe.

Service record plays a big part..
You got a notorious Luger that killed some jews, the price skyrockets.
Same here, and there is a big market for even the reproduction stuff. One company got caught making their own German serial marks on Mousers even selling them as real.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

I have a nice lever action 44/40 a friend gave me, the gun makes you look good it's so accurate. I was shooting onions out of the air when he tossed them till the range officer stopped us. :laugh:
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

Thats what I thought after some reading.. The 1851navy colt is a percussion cap pistol..

Wild Bill Hickok´s revolver and General Lees personal sidearm.. Thats a dream revolver.
Cartridge conversions for the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army colt were common once metallic cartridges became readily available. Problem was the metallic cartridges used in those types of revolvers were extremely anemic. The lack of top strap over the cylinder made them susceptible to blowing apart.

The 1858 Remington had s full top strap and was the revolver of choice for conversion.

It wasn't until the 1873 colt army came out (known as the peacemaker) that you could use a calibre like 38-40 or 44-40 or 45 colt safely in a colt revolver.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Renee wrote:
Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

Thats what I thought after some reading.. The 1851navy colt is a percussion cap pistol..

Cartridge conversions for the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army colt were common once metallic cartridges became readily available. Problem was the metallic cartridges used in those types of revolvers were extremely anemic. The lack of top strap over the cylinder made them susceptible to blowing apart.

The 1858 Remington had s full top strap and was the revolver of choice for conversion.

It wasn't until the 1873 colt army came out (known as the peacemaker) that you could use a calibre like 38-40 or 44-40 or 45 colt safely in a colt revolver.
The Remington looks sturdier..

I would just buy the Colt for sentimental reasons.

I´ve read somewhere that they didnt want revolvers that took in cartridges because the cartridges were so damn expensive then..
They wouldnt have liked it if the civil war armies used cartridges.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:
Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

I´ve read somewhere that they didnt want revolvers that took in cartridges because the cartridges were so damn expensive then..
Metallic cartridges were used in the American Civil War but they were used in rifles. The Henry and Spencer rifles were issued to select brigades on both sides but they used a rimfire cartridge.

The rimfire cartridges used in the rifles of the day would not have been safe to use in the open cylinder colts of the time. The .38 rimfire developed for the navy colt was quite frankly, a shitty worthless cartridge, really only good for "snakes and such". :laugh:

You were probably better off sticking with cap and ball and just carrying at least one extra loaded cylinder. It would sort of be like having a crude speed loader.

It would be years after the civil war ended that the first successful centerfire cartridges would be introduced and become popular.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

Custer found them to be popular at the little Bighorn by the Indians :teehe:
Russia also when they attacked the Turks going up hill to get them :facepalm:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Dessert

Renee wrote:
Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:
Odinson wrote:
Renee wrote:

Metallic cartridges were used in the American Civil War but they were used in rifles. The Henry and Spencer rifles were issued to select brigades on both sides but they used a rimfire cartridge.

The rimfire cartridges used in the rifles of the day would not have been safe to use in the open cylinder colts of the time. The .38 rimfire developed for the navy colt was quite frankly, a shitty worthless cartridge, really only good for "snakes and such". :laugh:

You were probably better off sticking with cap and ball and just carrying at least one extra loaded cylinder. It would sort of be like having a crude speed loader.

It would be years after the civil war ended that the first successful centerfire cartridges would be introduced and become popular.
In the pics they have multiple cap and ball pistols in their belts.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Dessert

So yummy, and i don't like Ranch, or Buttermilk

Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Dessert

Registered Guest wrote: October 1st, 2016, 10:32 pm I still like a bit of apple crumble and ice cream.
Don’t you dare have apple pie. It’s a painful symbol of white supremacy doncha know ? https://sputniknews.com/us/202106091083 ... acist-too/