Re: Tech Talk

General talk, and discussion.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Re: Tech Talk

Blue Frost wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 11:54 am RF could be a better troll than them all, maybe we don't know the man so well after all. :laugh:
Maybe he's a real trouble maker elsewhere.

But lets face it, it doesn't take much to get thrown out of some places. I've been tossed out of a few forums in the past, believe it or not... :innocent: :teehe:

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I never have been :laugh: I troll along like a sly fox, people just get confused by what i do to them.
Pretty good when you are dyslexic, and your the only one that gets the jokes. :laugh:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

I cant seem to get my new garage door remote to work. I pressed the red button the motor and then held down the button on the remote. The light on the motor flashes to indicate a connection but the button can't trigger the door.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I never set one, but maybe the thing isn't compatible, or the batteries is bad.
Youtube might have a video that will help, or a number on the controller box you can call. .
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

My city of Vancouver is fairly over populated.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

624,890 + 1,306,280 = 1,931,170 is ours, but that's including the metro area which I am in.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Blue Frost wrote: August 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm 624,890 + 1,306,280 = 1,931,170 is ours, but that's including the metro area which I am in.
Is your State population all spread out mostly evenly? With our province its mostly southwest in the Vancouver and Victoria area.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reverse Flash wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:53 pm
Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Mel Gibson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm
Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:49 am I cant access foreign content..
I see... In that case, you'll want to make sure the IP address that the VPN provider uses originates from the country whose programming you want to watch. If you want to watch US content, you'll either need to be able to select a US IP address, or use a VPN that issues US IP addresses by default!
How much does Netflix cost in Canada/USA?
In Canada
$9.99 basic, SD 480p. Stream on 1 device at a time

$13.99 standard, HD 1080p. 2 devices can stream at same time

$16.99 premium, 4K 2160p.up to 4 devices can stream.

I use my friends Netflix premium and Disney+ accounts. Free of charge. Save money. Good friend.

Some shows like Supernatural on Netflix is only available for America for some reason. It's on Amazon Prime Video for Canadians. Amazon prime video is free for Amazon prime members. They have Amazon Prime Orignal series like Jack Ryan and The Boys.
The prices are pretty much the same.. But you get at least twice the content.

Some of the movies and TV-series I really want to watch, show up in the search but are not available in here.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: July 27th, 2020, 11:44 am
Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:47 am
Renee wrote: July 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm
Odinson wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:44 pm What VPN service provider do you people recommend?

I was thinking that might be useful.
I use Proton. I haven't had any issues with it.

There is a 30 day free trial so you can see if you like it.
I´ll look into that one.
I've been using it for years now and I have no complaints. I also advise looking into Nord or Serf Shark.

Proton also has free servers but if you are going to use a free service try "Hotspot Shield". It's rated pretty highly and it might work for what you need.
Have they been hacked or something like that in the past?

I´m really afraid of giving the actual credit card number to these websites.
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: August 11th, 2020, 7:12 pm I´m really afraid of giving the actual credit card number to these websites.
They are all well-known businesses with revenues in the millions, so you should be safe. It's not like you're giving your credit card number for payment to some Nigerian Prince in exchange for pure Gold bullion...

Just read the fine print, as some will want to renew your subscription automatically unless you manually opt out.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: August 11th, 2020, 7:12 pm
Renee wrote: July 27th, 2020, 11:44 am
Odinson wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:47 am
Renee wrote: July 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm
Odinson wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:44 pm What VPN service provider do you people recommend?

I was thinking that might be useful.
I use Proton. I haven't had any issues with it.

There is a 30 day free trial so you can see if you like it.
I´ll look into that one.
I've been using it for years now and I have no complaints. I also advise looking into Nord or Serf Shark.

Proton also has free servers but if you are going to use a free service try "Hotspot Shield". It's rated pretty highly and it might work for what you need.
Have they been hacked or something like that in the past?

I´m really afraid of giving the actual credit card number to these websites.
You should be fine. Proton very reputable and they are about the most secure VPN out there. They are based in Switzerland and the Swiss take their privacy and security very seriously. It's not some fly by night crap outfit.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Is my brake fluid kinda low? I went for an oil change and the guy there said it's kinda
20200909_220856.jpg
(225.77 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

You look like you need a little bit, should be a mark on it someplace that shows exactly where it should be.
It's not a big deal, just put a little in, maybe about two centimeters it would be good enough.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Blue Frost wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:30 pm You look like you need a little bit, should be a mark on it someplace that shows exactly where it should be.
It's not a big deal, just put a little in, maybe about two centimeters it would be good enough.
i don't know if I should buy a bottle and fill it or change the brake fluid. Its got 26,000 miles.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I would just check it in a week, or so, it it doesn't go down anymore leave it be.
If it goes down, you might want to go get the breaks checked, or bleed, they might have not bleed the lines properly in the factory.
I think it will be alright, but keep an eye on it, you don't want it running much lower than it is.
Mel Gibson

I'll give you guys a little known tip: Assuming no leaks in the system, the difference between high and low on the hydraulic brake reservoir is somewhat close to the difference between new and almost worn out brake pads. High and low are spaced where they are for a reason...

To explain this further to those that can't visualize what I mean, is that the brake reservoir level will go down as your brake pads wear out. If the level was full with new brakes, it's a good idea to check your brake pad thickness if your reservoir level gets down to the 'ADD' mark!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Breaks on a car wont loose that much fluid though, and as I mentioned to him if he looses more have it checked.
A lot of times on a new car the fluid isn't put in properly, and they will loose fluid over time because of air, or a leak in the system.
On a big rig, or semi truck it may be different, I don't know.

Oh, and breaks should be checked of course, especially if you do stop, and go a lot, or ride the breaks.
It's a good idea regardless of fluid levels.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:37 am On a big rig, or semi truck it may be different, I don't know.
All the big trucks like my Kenworth still utilize air brakes, even though some are now switching to optional disk brakes on the front axle! Drum brakes still work best on heavy vehicles though, for durability and longevity!

Heavy commercial vehicles that pull trailers will always run on air, just like trains do, since hydraulic wouldn't work well for all the coupling/uncoupling that we do!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I knew that about trains, but not big rigs, I have seen the air compressors for them though.
This one guy was going to hire me for help on the big rigs once, but I turned it down.
He knew I worked on cars all the time, and thought I would fall for that job :laugh: no way.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: September 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm I knew that about trains, but not big rigs, I have seen the air compressors for them though.
This one guy was going to hire me for help on the big rigs once, but I turned it down.
He knew I worked on cars all the time, and thought I would fall for that job :laugh: no way.
Ya, in fact big trucks used to have the exact same system as trains (Westinghouse air brake system), but too many problems were happening (ranaways, parked trailers rolling away), so they eventually mandated a 'failsafe' to be incorporated on all axles except the steer, which is just a strong spring that will mechanically apply the brakes should system air pressure drop below a certain threshold. Whenever you hear a blast of air when a truck parks, that's the driver setting the brake by dumping the air out of the system, thus allowing the springs to hold the brake shoes tight against the drums. They are usually twin-cylinder compressors, and run directly off the engine, meaning they are always pumping. When they reach a certain PSI (around 130 psi or so), the system will 'unload,' and you can hear when it does that by the 'whoosh' or 'blast' of air!

And working on big rigs sucks! Everything is larger, heavier, and generally more of a nuisance to work on! The wide steer tire and wheel combo on my Kenworth weighs upwards of 300 lbs/piece!