Photos From Long Ago

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Photos From Long Ago

One I believe is Abe Lincoln but the other one I don’t know.

Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Abraham Lincoln and Edgar Allan Poe.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

:laugh: The Skunk Ape is correct. That is obviously Lincoln and it is Edgar Allen Poe but the two never met in person.

The pic is a fake. It's a mash up used for the ridiculous "Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter" novel. It's been kicking around the net for a while.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Pretty good photo though, both creepy looking guys that could be on the Adams family.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: July 15th, 2020, 2:20 pm Pretty good photo though, both creepy looking guys that could be on the Adams family.
Everybody was creepy looking back then.

At least everybody that had their picture taken was.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yeah, my fathers mother, and her family took a photo of themselves, it looked more scary than any movie out there.
I'm not sure, but I think my mother tossed it out years ago, i would love to have it still.

I have one of my great grandfather in a coffin, looks like Dracula.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: July 15th, 2020, 7:33 pm Yeah, my fathers mother, and her family took a photo of themselves, it looked more scary than any movie out there.
I'm not sure, but I think my mother tossed it out years ago, i would love to have it still.

I have one of my great grandfather in a coffin, looks like Dracula.
I know...Some of those old photos look like Night of the Living Dead. My mom and dad have wedding photos of my great grandparents on both sides and they used to scare me as a child.

And what is it with the eyes that look in different directions? It always seems that at least one person in those old pictures has an eye that gravitates toward magnetic north... :laugh:

Was it inbreeding or just shitty primitive medical technology?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The only people who looked happy is the criminals, even the dead ones on display looked better than the living did. :laugh:
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

The 1880’s was a different world. Te Wild West was winding down but still there. It’s an era that isn’t represented much in Hollywood.
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Actually, every western ever made reflects the 1880's, but I think you're talking about the transition period between the 19th and 20th century and that would be true. There are some western movies that give you that sense of transition though. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Big Jake, starring John Wayne has him riding a horse while his son is on a motorcycle, The Grey Fox, was a true story about one of Canada's few old style western train robbers and has scenes like when he went to watch a movie circa 1900's. The feeling is kind of a nostalgic sadness for a disappearing way of life, because the transition seemed so sudden back then. Fast forward to our own generations rapid changes, and I still feel as though the 1960's was a magical time of carefree peace and prosperity set to a backdrop of 'googie style' architecture, soft rock, and soft serve ice cream. Of course it was a horrible time in history for a lot of people, particularly in communist countries.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I read a book of stories of the Canadian west last year. It was an interesting and enjoyable read. The American railroad went across the country in the 1860’s I believe and this brought the wild west to a close I read though it didn’t end right away. During the Klondike gold rush Soapy Smith in Skagway Alaska may have been the wild west’s last holdout.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

The American wild west is considered to have started proper right after the American Civil War in 1865. It continued through the next 3 decades until the very early 20th century. Most historians of the time period consider the close of the Wild West era to coincide with the execution of Tom Horn on Dec. 3rd 1903.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

It appears to me that the wild west’s many eras were not all identical and that pockets of the wild west continued to exist while other areas were tamed. Perhaps the wild east existed in the 16th and 17th centuries first before gradually moving west.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:rofl: I thought it was Danny Devito in drag

Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

I thought this is Vivien Leigh..

But its an egyptian princess..

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

same hair almost, but not the same face.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Blue Frost wrote: August 24th, 2020, 4:33 am :rofl: I thought it was Danny Devito in drag

aye-caramba-bart-simpson.jpg
What that doesn't say is that those 13 young men killed themselves after someone turned the lights on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Odinson wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:18 am I thought this is Vivien Leigh..

That's a nice shiner she's got going there.

Who punched her? Surely not Sir Laurence Olivier. But you never know about those brooding pretty boys. :laugh:
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee wrote: August 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Odinson wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:18 am I thought this is Vivien Leigh..

That's a nice shiner she's got going there.

Who punched her? Surely not Sir Laurence Olivier. But you never know about those brooding pretty boys. :laugh:
More like the Shah of Iran... She is not Vivien Leigh.
Looks a lot like her though.

She seems to have a black eye in many of her pictures.. The camera flash casting a shadow.