Eat Your Dandelions

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Eat Your Dandelions

Did you read the article ? I don’t see the Facebook connection. Dandelions do have many health benefits.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

They are a lot more healthy for you than a lot of meds with a lot less side effects.
The medical/ pharma community doesn't bother with much study on those things because they can't make money off them so they say it's voodoo, or bunk science.
Some may be bunk, but not all, and it should be studied, and help people with it if needed.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Big pharma doesn’t want to cure people. Big pharma wants people to need their products.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think it's Main where people every year goes out in their yards to pick the weeds we see as a nuisance.
Most can be added into a salad, or tea.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

If the world goes nuts or if I’m stranded in the middle of nowhere I believe that dandelions will buy me some time.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Another thing you may look up Gary is Goldenrod if you have it in your region.
i cut down a lot of it today, it was blooming really nicely, but it had to go.
They made tea out of it when the Brits added taxes to tea.
It bugs my allergies, I sneezed for an hour cutting the stuff.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I was unaware that dandelions bring nutrients to the top soil.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Most plants add something, look at clover, it feeds the bees, and puts nitrogen back into the soil.
I like clover a lot even though not in my lawn, but Ill let it grow sometimes.

More calcium is in egg shells so don't toss them out either, they can be used for plants, and take the bitterness out of coffee.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I actually often eat hard boiled eggs and believe it or not whenever possible I crunch up the eggshells and throw them where plants can use them and I think that I will try them in my coffee. I am guessing that first one has to wash them and then crunch them into small pieces. Would one eggshell be enough for one pot of coffee ?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

yeah you need to wash them, and should before even making something of them because you get it on your hands.
I don't drink coffee, and don't know how they affect the coffee, but a lot of people used to put their egg shells in coffee when making it.
A friend of mine does it when he had off brand coffee, and he says it works.
One egg shell should work, and i wouldn't think crushing them much would change anything.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I am going to give this a try. I imagined that breaking the egg shell into small pieces would aid in affecting the flavour better as it could be spread through the coffee and have more surface area exposed.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I don't see it hurting, but i wouldn't work at it, you can pretty well just flatten it out.

Another thing an old cook told me is if you have acidic food cooking like a tomato sauce, chili, or anything similar. .
You can put a carrot in it, and it will soak the acidity of it up.
Just don't eat the carrot after, he said it's pretty nasty.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have been getting curious lately as to learning tricks to improve my cooking. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start some kind of tasty cooking tricks thread.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Talk with any old people left from the 30-40s, some know a lot, and would likely love telling you something.
The eggs is a depression era trick that was used a lot, likely even used before that.
The carrot also I believe.

the older people love talking usually just for the attention, people should try to learn more from them.
Kids need the attention also, TV, and computer isn't a substitute for our time.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This eggshell trick rings a bell 🔔 and in my many decades have probably heard of this and forgotten it. I am certain that I also have heard of a teaspoon of salt being used for the same or similar reason.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

After watching this short video I intend to eat a dandelion flower and if it tastes good then…… I might start grazing in dandelion fields. :thumbsup:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think you might want to eat them in a salad Gary, and broke up, personally I think they are a bit strong in flavor. :yuk:
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I am as I post this trying eggshells in my coffee. It does seem to taste a bit different but I can’t even tell if it is better or worse. The time it took to get the eggshells in my coffee could have been almost ready ending my daily morning ritual coffee crisis. I still however have not manned up and eaten a dandelion flower yet though.