Scientists want to bring 22 animals back

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/55460
Intact 40,000-year-old wolf head found in Siberia

The perfectly preserved decapitated head of a Pleistocene wolf has been found above the Arctic Circle north of Yakutia, Siberia. It was discovered last summer by Pavel Efimov on shore of the Tirekhtyakh River, but the find was only announced this week at the opening of a Woolly Mammoth exhibition in Tokyo.

The soft tissue is in excellent condition. Muscles, brain, fur, skin are all intact, preserved for 40,000 years in the Siberian permafrost. The fur is very thick, described by researchers as “mammoth-like.” It is brown now, giving rise to questions from the public that it looks more like a bear rather than a wolf. That was not its original coloring; its an effect of burial in the permafrost which has permanently altered the fur’s color. Even if the fur were thoroughly washed, it would still look brown, and there’s no way to determine the original color.

The wolf was a fully grown adult between two and four years old when it died, and was rather petite compared to most modern wolves. The head is 40cm (15.7″) long. The head of modern Arctic wolves varies in length from 66cm to 86cm (26-34″). Interestingly, a CT scan of the head revealed that some parts of the skull are more developed than those areas are in the skulls of today’s wolves.

“This is a unique discovery of the first ever remains of a fully grown Pleistocene wolf with its tissue preserved. We will be comparing it to modern-day wolves to understand how the species has evolved and to reconstruct its appearance,” said an excited Albert Protopopov, from the Republic of Sakha Academy of Sciences.

How the wolf’s head became detached from its body is unknown, but it was almost certainly not cut off by people as there is no evidence humans inhabited the gelid region 40,000 years ago. Its likely that it was severed by ice. Expanding ice often beheads dead animals trapped in it, leaving characteristic traces on the soft tissue. Researchers in this area have seen this phenomenon at work. The ice acts like an axe or a knife, cutting cleanly through necks. It’s possible some other force was involved in the decapitation of this wolf, however, because the cut is more ragged than ice expansion cuts usually are. A trace expert will be called in to examine specimens taken from the sever point under a microscope.

No other parts of the wolf have been found so far. Researchers plan to visit the find site to excavate it looking for additional remains.

Here’s a brief but amazing video of the head being turned and examined by researchers:

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I read about this discovery and would have posted it if I had time. It will be interesting if they can bring this species back to see what it looked like.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think the only difference would be more aggression, and a more muscular wolf. Today's wolf is more streamlined, but the same animal.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Scientists want to bring 22 animals back

Scientists have been able to extract blood from a 42,000 year old deer. I wonder how different it will look as compared to any modern deer species. Also they have extracted blood from an extinct horse species. This could be interesting if a pre ice age park was created in Siberia. Siberia is certainly large enough. https://earthlymission.com/scientists-d ... BM9n8a4-SI
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

i would like to see the first American horses, and camels.
The Woolly Rhino would be awesome, oh, and how about Palaeoloxodon namadicus, the biggest elephant ever.
Also the American Lion that would eat people :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Here are some that would be neat to see, but bring back ???? Maybe not,
Most likely we bring some back they would just go extinct again thanks to man, and habitat.

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Some of these animals would be great to bring back like the Irish elk or that gigantic bison.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

That elk was amazing, and not far back either, I believe it was one of the last to vanish on that video.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Scientists have managed to get cells with 28,000 year old mammoth DNA to start showing signs of life. https://theancientzen.com/scientists-ha ... k-to-life/
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Russian scientists have successfully brought back 46,000 year old worms. This isn’t Jurassic Park but it is cool as this species was long extinct.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I read not long ago they found frozen worms, and they started moving when they thawed, i wonder if these are the same ones.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

It might have been. The article was somehow lost. I actually may have posted on this quite a while ago as it rings a bell.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

It likely was something your posted, it seems like if I remember right it was your posting I read from, but maybe not
I wouldn't doubt the worms already exist someplace since the region is so vast, and some parts where less frozen.