..Guns Guns & More Guns

Political stuff, stuff people love to hate.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: ..Guns Guns & More Guns

Blue Frost wrote: August 19th, 2022, 1:44 pm Very nice piece, and I like most of Altamont grips except for the bad ones they sent me for my little 22 magnum, looked like a charcoal bricket.
i would carry that gun, I likely would keep it on me day, and night how I am till I went to bed.

The ammo is a good choice, but really not needed for a gun like that, for most guns of smaller caliber it is needed though.
I just think 38 is the acceptably size for ball ammo being proficient enough, 357 not a question at all unless you are hunting really big game like Odi's girlfriends. :spit:
The problem with hard ball ammunition is over penertration and not enough tissue damage. I use to swear by 230gr .45 ACP but that shit will go right through 20 layers of dry wall. If you need to shoot an intruder the round could end up going thru your target, thru the wall behind them and end up God knows where, maybe even your neighbors ass.. :laugh:

But it does have good penetration on large charging animals like the chicks Odi brings home. You never know when one of those rhinos will go psycho on you.... Especially that one with the moose nose.. She might smell a chocolate bar or cake somewhere in the house and become enraged.... :rofl:

Yes, I'm going to Hell, so might as well make it worth it... :teehe:

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

9mm will go through a person, but the take down isn't as good as 38, or better 357.
357 is a good all around load, and I'm not a fan of the 38, but will give it credit, it's proven more than most rounds out there bigger, and smaller.
Over penetration isn't all bad with as you made fun of fatter people, and people with say cold weather gear on.
A skinny crackhead maybe a bit much, but his friends shouldn't have been behind him should they. :laugh:

I'm honestly a fan of ball ammo for one reason, cost over the fancy stuff, and 357 is really the minimum for my taste for protection.
I do carry a 9mm, but with 32 round mags I don't worry about anything like take down.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

.38 Special is OK. The RCMP used them for many years loaded with .38 +P FBI loads with the semi-wadcutter hollow point, and they seemed to be fairly reliable from what I can tell. Although I guess the SWHP would still be considered a hollow point in New Jersey, so may be a no-go there...
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: August 19th, 2022, 10:39 pm .38 Special is OK. The RCMP used them for many years loaded with .38 +P FBI loads with the semi-wadcutter hollow point, and they seemed to be fairly reliable from what I can tell. Although I guess the SWHP would still be considered a hollow point in New Jersey, so may be a no-go there...
The .38spl has been around for over 100 years. It's origins go back to the late 1890s and it's development was a direct result of the .38 long Colt being ineffective against the Moro tribesmen in the Phillipines. Apparently the .38 Colt which was a US Army standard round and a black power cartridge, would not penetrate the heavy wooden shields that the Moros carried. It also didn't have the stopping power need to stop a frenzied Moro Muslim. Several US officers were hacked to death because their issued sidearm was ineffective. That's when the Army started issuing old Colt single action army revolvers in .45 colt.

S&W took the .38 Colt and lengthened the case and stuffed it with smokeless powered and the .38 special was born. Since then the US armed forces have used it right up thru the Vietnam War and countless police departments have issued it as their standard cartridge. It was phased out for police work in the late 1980s when every major police dept in the US went needlessly semi-auto crazy. The fear of being out gunned by bad guys was a real thing at one time among the police and the whole "cop killer" bullet nonsense was taken as reality. It was as stupid then as it is now.

The .38spl is one of those rounds than really benefits from the recent developments in bullet technology. The old 148gr lead round bullet which was common in most police departments was never a good stopper. It was nicknamed "the widow maker" by a lot of cops but that round is long obsolete. The new .38spl rounds are highly effective for self-defense. The velocities are a lot higher and the terminal performance of the bullets are much, much better and recoil is more than manageable making follow up shots easier. The biggest drawback is that most of the revolvers chambered in .38spl and carried by CCW holders, have a 2" barrel and don't wring out the best velocities that the .38 is capable of.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gotta give the round credit seriously, even thought not a fan I give it credit for the long history, proven, and dependable take down.
Unlike today police didn't unload mag, after mag on people, training, and proper shot placement did the work.

I'm a fan of 9mm for accuracy, cost, and fun factor, but it has a major limitation when it comes to knocking people down unless a specialty round.

357 is my choice, wish I had an AR in 357, or a 10mm, and cringe, the 40 would be a good round if someone had one in an AR. :blush: did I say that ???
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:laugh: Love the sheriffs comments, I wish they all where like that still.

Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: August 20th, 2022, 1:08 pm The .38spl is one of those rounds than really benefits from the recent developments in bullet technology. The old 148gr lead round bullet which was common in most police departments was never a good stopper. It was nicknamed "the widow maker" by a lot of cops but that round is long obsolete.
This is the ammo the cops used here. I still have a couple rounds of it my old man saved from the revolver days, but this Federal ammo appears identical to what it was.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Typical round here, even my .22 is like that, but it's useless in the small thing.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: August 20th, 2022, 11:57 pm
Renee wrote: August 20th, 2022, 1:08 pm The .38spl is one of those rounds than really benefits from the recent developments in bullet technology. The old 148gr lead round bullet which was common in most police departments was never a good stopper. It was nicknamed "the widow maker" by a lot of cops but that round is long obsolete.
This is the ammo the cops used here. I still have a couple rounds of it my old man saved from the revolver days, but this Federal ammo appears identical to what it was.

The 158gr swc was common here too but not until the late 1950s and 60s. It's basis for the typical FBI load. The old lead round nose was the standard up to and thru WWII. Some departments like NYC still issued them up to the 1960s. It's a shit round really only good for punching paper. Some plain closed cops would actually load their snubs with full wadcutters because even the full target wadcutter has better terminal performance than the lead round nose.

The 158gr swc is a great bullet and for decades was the bullet used by many of our state and highway patrol departs, especially in the .375 mag configuration. Those beasts will shoot thru car doors, windshields and all kinds of tough stuff.

BTW, nice GP100. How do you like it compared to your 66?
Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: August 21st, 2022, 2:32 pm BTW, nice GP100. How do you like it compared to your 66?
That's actually not my pic, but I did own a Ruger GP 100 with a six inch barrel at one time! Honestly I have no complaints about it. It would eat .357 Mag rounds with zero issues.

I ended up selling the Ruger to a buddy. While I do like my current 66 for it's classic styling that we're all familiar with, I honestly think the Ruger was better built than the current S&W revolvers. If I was a true revolver traditionalist, I'd probably hunt down a lightly used older pinned model S&W... but now with Trudeau pulling his dirty tricks, any handguns both old and new have been quickly snapped up by panic buyers. I simply may have to be happy with what I currently have unless I'm willing to pay exorbitant prices.

One thing I do hate though, is warnings rolled into the barrel or onto any part of a firearm. Ruger is safety warning rolled into the barrel-happy... S&W is not. Nor is my Marlin. Nor my Browning. Nor my CZ. I'm pretty sure Ruger rolls that warning into all of its firearms, since my Mini 14 had it also. That said, that's a cosmetic issue in the end, and won't alter the function of the firearm. But I still dislike it!
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: August 21st, 2022, 7:28 pm
Renee wrote: August 21st, 2022, 2:32 pm BTW, nice GP100. How do you like it compared to your 66?
That's actually not my pic, but I did own a Ruger GP 100 with a six inch barrel at one time! Honestly I have no complaints about it. It would eat .357 Mag rounds with zero issues.

I ended up selling the Ruger to a buddy. While I do like my current 66 for it's classic styling that we're all familiar with, I honestly think the Ruger was better built than the current S&W revolvers. If I was a true revolver traditionalist, I'd probably hunt down a lightly used older pinned model S&W... but now with Trudeau pulling his dirty tricks, any handguns both old and new have been quickly snapped up by panic buyers. I simply may have to be happy with what I currently have unless I'm willing to pay exorbitant prices.

One thing I do hate though, is warnings rolled into the barrel or onto any part of a firearm. Ruger is safety warning rolled into the barrel-happy... S&W is not. Nor is my Marlin. Nor my Browning. Nor my CZ. I'm pretty sure Ruger rolls that warning into all of its firearms, since my Mini 14 had it also. That said, that's a cosmetic issue in the end, and won't alter the function of the firearm. But I still dislike it!
I knew you had a GP100 at one time because you mentioned it. I'm not a big fan of Ruger revolvers except their single action revolvers, Blackhawk, etc. I had an SP101 at one time. It was okay but nothing special. I will say it was built like a tank. Unfortunately it had a gritty heavy trigger and sort of stiff action. It desperately needed a good action job. For being a 5 shot revolver it was almost as heavy as a S&W K Frame. I didn't see much use in keeping it or sinking money into it. My sister has it now. It sits in a lock box in her nightstand.

In the past my dad has own a few older Ruger double action revolvers, security 6 and a speed 6. They weren't bad. Just big and bulky. Ruger likes to make everything "big". I love my P90 but it's a monster. Definitely not a concealed carry weapon.

Far left politicians are the biggest gun salesman on the planet. Odumbo and that braindead lump of shit squatting in the Oval Office have created more gun and ammunition sales than anyone could ever have imagined.. The down side is the prices have skyrocketed due to the artificially created demand. It also has put guns in the hands of people who never considered buying a gun before... This can be good and very bad... One thing we don't need is more neophyte firearms owners who are basically clueless about guns and gun safety.
Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 9:27 am I knew you had a GP100 at one time because you mentioned it. I'm not a big fan of Ruger revolvers except their single action revolvers, Blackhawk, etc. I had an SP101 at one time. It was okay but nothing special. I will say it was built like a tank. Unfortunately it had a gritty heavy trigger and sort of stiff action. It desperately needed a good action job. For being a 5 shot revolver it was almost as heavy as a S&W K Frame. I didn't see much use in keeping it or sinking money into it. My sister has it now. It sits in a lock box in her nightstand.

In the past my dad has own a few older Ruger double action revolvers, security 6 and a speed 6. They weren't bad. Just big and bulky. Ruger likes to make everything "big". I love my P90 but it's a monster. Definitely not a concealed carry weapon.

Far left politicians are the biggest gun salesman on the planet. Odumbo and that braindead lump of shit squatting in the Oval Office have created more gun and ammunition sales than anyone could ever have imagined.. The down side is the prices have skyrocketed due to the artificially created demand. It also has put guns in the hands of people who never considered buying a gun before... This can be good and very bad... One thing we don't need is more neophyte firearms owners who are basically clueless about guns and gun safety.
Ya, Ruger's are defo overbuilt, which is OK depending on usage... If you want to blast through full house .357 Magnum rounds at the range all day, the Ruger will handle it with ease.

I owned a P90 also, interestingly enough... Decock only version. Bulky, but again a full sized pistol that will handle any .45 ACP ammo reliably. I sold that also, as .45 ACP rounds become quite expensive just punching holes into paper targets. That's why I now own a 9mm pistol... I know you don't like that round, but it saves me money at the range.

Can't conceal carry here, but if I could I'd probably CC a compact or subcompact Glock in 9mm. I know, I know, but they work well and can conceal well.

But ya, lefty politicians have always caused panic buying. And here's the silly thing... If the Cons get voted into power here next election, they can reverse every restriction and ban with the stroke of a pen, so all this BS was all for nothing.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: August 25th, 2022, 1:47 am
Ya, Ruger's are defo overbuilt, which is OK depending on usage... If you want to blast through full house .357 Magnum rounds at the range all day, the Ruger will handle it with ease.

I owned a P90 also, interestingly enough... Decock only version. Bulky, but again a full sized pistol that will handle any .45 ACP ammo reliably. I sold that also, as .45 ACP rounds become quite expensive just punching holes into paper targets. That's why I now own a 9mm pistol... I know you don't like that round, but it saves me money at the range.

Can't conceal carry here, but if I could I'd probably CC a compact or subcompact Glock in 9mm. I know, I know, but they work well and can conceal well.

But ya, lefty politicians have always caused panic buying. And here's the silly thing... If the Cons get voted into power here next election, they can reverse every restriction and ban with the stroke of a pen, so all this BS was all for nothing.
Yeah, but what are the chances of reversal? The pain in the ass thing about gun restrictions is they never go away unless they are put to the long process of a court challenge. We have our 2nd Amendment on our side and we generally win most of the court challenges but it's a lengthy and very expensive process. Many politicians and municipalities think they can just flout the law and pass unconstitutional regulations and get away with it because the average American is stupid and unconcerned with things that they feel don't affect them. Unfortunately that attitude is what fuels these attacks on our rights and we have only ourselves to blame.

The other problem are the authoritarian little shit bags who think they have the moral right or obligation to support government policies which intrude upon the rights of their fellow citizens... We both know the type or self important creep of which I speak. In fact their is a commonwealth country in the southern hemisphere just chocked full of them.

My P90 is not the decocker version. It wears Hogue grips, has a 14lb Wolf recoil spring, a black nitrite coated, stainless steel guide rod and tritium night sights. It's about as tricked out as a P90 can get. :thumbsup: What I really like about it is the damn thing shoots match quality groups with just about any ammo I put through it and the recoil is more than manageable because of the size and weight of the gun...Most who have any kind of experience with the Ruger P series know that the P90 is the most accurate of the bunch. The P90 was the duty weapon of RI. State Police officer and legal firearms expert Massad Ayoob and he used to use his P90 in state match competition and win because it shot groups just as well as any custom 1911. In fact back in 1985 the 9mm Ruger P85 prototype which was the basis for the P series guns, was almost selected as the US Army's new side arm but unfortunately it wasn't ready for full large scale production and the contract went to Berretta for the M9.

I don't necessarily hate the 9mm. I hate the hype that surrounds it. It's just another pistol class cartridge and not the supernatural wonder bullet that every neophyte gun owner thinks it is. Yes it's accurate, it's been around for over 100 years, yes it has a decent history of effectiveness but so do other cartridges. Where I do think the 9mm shines is in something like Ruger's PC carbine chassis model or the SIG MPX or the Wilson AR9. They make really nice home defense and pest control guns and the 9mm fired from a 16" barrel develops great velocity and shoots relatively flat. It actually makes the 9mm an effective 100 yard cartridge. And yes the ammo is cheap in comparison to other cartridges but like in all things, you get what you pay for.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Canada needs laws like this. That father would be going to jail for lengthy spell in liberal Canada. https://thepostmillennial.com/ohio-fath ... -boyfriend
Mel Gibson

Now we're having a more serious issue where I live all of a sudden...

I thought I heard some big limbs snapping in the back while watering my shrubs last night, but brushed it off... Today I talk to my one neighbour, and they saw a black bear in my yard after I went back inside, with two cubs, which eventually wandered around their yard also. They tried to scare it off with noisemakers, but it wouldn't budge and just huffed and 'danced'.

This is literally the most dangerous scenario with a bear... One that has lost fear of human figures and noises, and has cubs also.

I explained to them that this is potentially very dangerous, which they knew of course living here, and let them know that I can be armed. They are not armed, which is surprising here, but they now know they can call me now if they need a boomstick. My protocol here is three 12 gauge slugs in the pipe, followed by a #7.5 shot target round (as an audible warning shot aimed away), racked, followed by another slug in the tube... 4+1.

They are peaceful people, but even they realize there could be a problem bear here. My boomstick is by my side, since I heard something wandering outside just now also. I live just feet from heavily wooded Crown Land, so there isn't much buffer here...

Bears have literally broken into kitchens here... The last bear I chased off was afraid of my mere presence, which is good! This one sounds like it could be a real problem.

Renee might wonder why no .45-70... I reserve that gun, and the hardcast high pressure loads I have, for remote areas, with Grizzly potential. Even rural, there are people around... And a .45-70 high pressure hardcast will fly through every wall around. It's truly a bush round for remote Grizz country. 12 Gauge is actually suitable for black bears...
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: September 1st, 2022, 3:19 am Now we're having a more serious issue where I live all of a sudden...

I thought I heard some big limbs snapping in the back while watering my shrubs last night, but brushed it off... Today I talk to my one neighbour, and they saw a black bear in my yard after I went back inside, with two cubs, which eventually wandered around their yard also. They tried to scare it off with noisemakers, but it wouldn't budge and just huffed and 'danced'.

This is literally the most dangerous scenario with a bear... One that has lost fear of human figures and noises, and has cubs also.

I explained to them that this is potentially very dangerous, which they knew of course living here, and let them know that I can be armed. They are not armed, which is surprising here, but they now know they can call me now if they need a boomstick. My protocol here is three 12 gauge slugs in the pipe, followed by a #7.5 shot target round (as an audible warning shot aimed away), racked, followed by another slug in the tube... 4+1.

They are peaceful people, but even they realize there could be a problem bear here. My boomstick is by my side, since I heard something wandering outside just now also. I live just feet from heavily wooded Crown Land, so there isn't much buffer here...

Bears have literally broken into kitchens here... The last bear I chased off was afraid of my mere presence, which is good! This one sounds like it could be a real problem.

Renee might wonder why no .45-70... I reserve that gun, and the hardcast high pressure loads I have, for remote areas, with Grizzly potential. Even rural, there are people around... And a .45-70 high pressure hardcast will fly through every wall around. It's truly a bush round for remote Grizz country. 12 Gauge is actually suitable for black bears...
We have more black bear here in NJ than we know what to do with. We are overrun with them. They have attacked people and pets. They routinely spill garage cans and cause all kinds of damage including car accidents. The largest black bear on record was taken here in NJ at over 700lbs...Our idiotic, prog, vile, scumbag of a governor has gone against everything the NJ. State Fish and Game dept has recommended and banned bear hunting on state game lands... He is a complete, progressive millionaire, tree hugging fascist, moron and if I had my way, I would shrink wrap him in a FedEx box and ship his useless, elitist, ass across the border to Toronto or some other prog shithole where he belongs.

What happens in Canada if you kill or shoot a bear out of season? Better know your game laws or you could end up fucked in the ass by the authorities. Black bear aren't all that hard to kill. Your 12ga is more than adequate as is a good 30-30 or .35 rem. More black bear have been taken with those 2 calibers than you can count stars in the sky.
Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 9:45 am We have more black bear here in NJ than we know what to do with. We are overrun with them. They have attacked people and pets. They routinely spill garage cans and cause all kinds of damage including car accidents. The largest black bear on record was taken here in NJ at over 700lbs...Our idiotic, prog, vile, scumbag of a governor has gone against everything the NJ. State Fish and Game dept has recommended and banned bear hunting on state game lands... He is a complete, progressive millionaire, tree hugging fascist, moron and if I had my way, I would shrink wrap him in a FedEx box and ship his useless, elitist, ass across the border to Toronto or some other prog shithole where he belongs.

What happens in Canada if you kill or shoot a bear out of season? Better know your game laws or you could end up fucked in the ass by the authorities. Black bear aren't all that hard to kill. Your 12ga is more than adequate as is a good 30-30 or .35 rem. More black bear have been taken with those 2 calibers than you can count stars in the sky.
Ya, they have banned Grizz hunting in this Province, which I'm OK with I guess (they're not really a problem for the most part), but Black bears can still be hunted, for now...

So what would happen here if you had to kill any type of predator out of hunting season, is you'd need a reason: Either it was a physical threat to you, or to your pets/livestock. You're then supposed to call a Conservation Officer to come out and assess the situation, and they'd remove the carcass. You'll probably be grilled on the spot as to your actions, and then most likely be spoken to like a child as to how you can better prevent wildlife/human encounters. Conservation Officers prefer that they themselves do the killing, as opposed to civilians, since they know better after all in situations in which they aren't even present...

It's not uncommon around here for people to just shoot, shovel, and shut up when it comes to this, simply to avoid having to explain how your actions were necessary.
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Alec Baldwin settled with the deceased womans relatives.

Does that make the charges go away?

He pulled the trigger.
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:45 pm Alec Baldwin settled with the deceased womans relatives.

Does that make the charges go away?

He pulled the trigger.
Ya, financial settlements are an alternative to dealing with things through the courts of law. In accepting the settlement, there will be a clause in there stating that the relatives cannot seek any further justice of any sort against Baldwin...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The courts can still charge him, and should, but likely wont in Commiefornia.