Exercised my truck today...

General talk, and discussion.
Mel Gibson

Exercised my truck today...

Comm towers. Steep rocky climb.... High up!

Mel Gibson

Re: Exercised my truck today...

I live somewhere at the bottom of this valley... Fire smoke hazes things...

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Reminds me of the place my grandmother lived, and mother grew up.
The mountains seem a little more massive there, but more steep at my grandmothers.

Back in the 40s loggers took all the good trees, and the forestry department got people to plant a bunch of useless pines, and scrub trees.
It saved a lot of people from mudslides, but the system is not that good anymore, and to beat all coal companies topped a lot of mountains strip mining.
The runoff from the mining is nasty also, full of sulfur, and other chemicals.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: August 21st, 2022, 10:19 am Reminds me of the place my grandmother lived, and mother grew up.
The mountains seem a little more massive there, but more steep at my grandmothers.

Back in the 40s loggers took all the good trees, and the forestry department got people to plant a bunch of useless pines, and scrub trees.
It saved a lot of people from mudslides, but the system is not that good anymore, and to beat all coal companies topped a lot of mountains strip mining.
The runoff from the mining is nasty also, full of sulfur, and other chemicals.
Ya, it's actually pretty steep and rugged terrain, but pics don't really do it justice. My region is actively logged, but people need wood and jobs too, so it's a good thing IMHO. Thinning out the trees a bit by logging is also beneficial when it comes to fire season here... Thick forests can be very difficult to deal with should they catch fire! Trees grow back here quickly. There are more variety of trees that grow in this region than anywhere else in Canada!

Mining also used to be a thing in this region, but pretty much every mine has long been shut down. I have no doubt there were toxic chemicals just poured down the rivers, but in time it seems that nature does eventually heal itself from any damage that man can cause.

I guess there's always a balance... People want nature to be left pristine, but we also need those natural resources and the jobs they provide.

Here's a BC Tel warning sign (revision 1973). BC Tel hasn't existed since the late 1990's... Not so sure $100 would be such a great incentive anymore these days! :laugh:

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

They totally stripped the trees, and tops of mountains back in my moms childhood, they didn't care.
The sulfur pond up in the hills collapsed a few years back, it flooded, and made a mess of everything downstream.
Wells are full of sulfur also now in the area.

It's actually amazing them topping mountains like they do actually, they make nice spots for houses if you can afford the land, and right a ways.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: August 21st, 2022, 8:21 pm It's actually amazing them topping mountains like they do actually, they make nice spots for houses if you can afford the land, and right a ways.
I'm noticing more and more people building homes here up the mountain. While those properties would've historically made great places for a cabin or such, people are building proper homes for full time living. There's only one problem with this: The mountains are steep, and it snows here. I see some properties, and they'll have a fun time in the winter parking their cars at the bottom and walking up their steep long driveway!

One guy actually built a snowmobile shed at bottom of driveway because his driveway is so steep and long. Park car at bottom, and ride snowmobile up to house!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Like my family in the mountains, you have to have something like an ATV, or Jeep that can handle the weather.
They usually stock up, and like my grandmother had a root seller she kept food she preserved, smoke house also.
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

I've been up there on those mountains...we took some rough paths.

My favorite adventure is going 4x4ing by Greenwood BC. Up in the mountains was crazy....we came across a lot of old abandoned mines....there was this small lake that was rainbow colored....we also found the base of a rotted old cabin from long ago....on the earth floor was old glass bottles and rusty old stuffs from the 1800s. Fascinating.
Mel Gibson

Berry Sweet wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 1:13 am I've been up there on those mountains...we took some rough paths.

My favorite adventure is going 4x4ing by Greenwood BC. Up in the mountains was crazy....we came across a lot of old abandoned mines....there was this small lake that was rainbow colored....we also found the base of a rotted old cabin from long ago....on the earth floor was old glass bottles and rusty old stuffs from the 1800s. Fascinating.
Ya, it's some pretty rugged terrain. Any picture I take won't do it justice, nor show true scale. You know this, since you're familiar with this region.

It's amazing how much better things are when there aren't as many people around to destroy things. Most of the places I go to here would be gated and off limits if they were near any big city. It's still good here. Although I know nothing lasts forever... Even here will change in time. It already is.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Berry Sweet wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 1:13 am I've been up there on those mountains...we took some rough paths.

Some of the better glass bottles are worth something sometimes, people collect that stuff.
I always wanted to go back to those places with a metal detector.
Some of the old cabins had stashes in them buried, if the people left fast, or died they could still be there.
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

It's nice out there...that was 2000's tho, literally. My bf at the time liked going the back roads...I'd go with him....he would scare me sometimes some of the stupid maneuvers he would do....one time we went up this path that was literally straight up, rubble flying from the tires and u was scared we were gonna flip back...we made it tho ..fuckin prick....some of the shit we did and places we went....I look back now and realized how fuckin stupid we were and how we even got out alive?? I'd worry sometimes...the only thing that made feel safe was the CB radio...atleast it worked out there.
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

Blue Frost wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 5:05 am

Some of the better glass bottles are worth something sometimes, people collect that stuff.
I always wanted to go back to those places with a metal detector.
Some of the old cabins had stashes in them buried, if the people left fast, or died they could still be there.
Yeah its neat to find that stuff....I took some of the glass bottles, but I dunno what happened to them....it was almost 20 years ago....im sure anything of what we found is gone by now ..people destroy everything.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Berry Sweet wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 1:03 am It's nice out there...that was 2000's tho, literally. My bf at the time liked going the back roads...I'd go with him....he would scare me sometimes some of the stupid maneuvers he would do....one time we went up this path that was literally straight up, rubble flying from the tires and u was scared we were gonna flip back...we made it tho ..fuckin prick....some of the shit we did and places we went....I look back now and realized how fuckin stupid we were and how we even got out alive?? I'd worry sometimes...the only thing that made feel safe was the CB radio...atleast it worked out there.
You mention Maneuvers, well Men do that stupid stuff, and it is stupid.
I'm guilty of that, and still catch myself sometimes, and have to stop.
I said it before, I never grew up, and still trying to be an adult.
Mel Gibson

Berry Sweet wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 1:03 am It's nice out there...that was 2000's tho, literally. My bf at the time liked going the back roads...I'd go with him....he would scare me sometimes some of the stupid maneuvers he would do....one time we went up this path that was literally straight up, rubble flying from the tires and u was scared we were gonna flip back...we made it tho ..fuckin prick....some of the shit we did and places we went....I look back now and realized how fuckin stupid we were and how we even got out alive?? I'd worry sometimes...the only thing that made feel safe was the CB radio...atleast it worked out there.
I don't know what to say...

I told you to find a nice White boy...

Not some Chug...

Doesn't matter... We'll find our other in our preferred environment...

Hauled some shit out for Kalesnikoff today... I get around no matter where I go...
Mel Gibson

I find this beautiful...
Berry Sweet
Awesome Member
Awesome Member

Mel Gibson wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 2:26 am
I don't know what to say...

I told you to find a nice White boy...

Not some Chug...

Doesn't matter... We'll find our other in our preferred environment...

Hauled some shit out for Kalesnikoff today... I get around no matter where I go...
You realize me living out there where you are...I was dating a white boy at the time....he was Russian....
Mel Gibson

Berry Sweet wrote: August 25th, 2022, 5:59 pm You realize me living out there where you are...I was dating a white boy at the time....he was Russian....
This is good news to hear. Ya, still quite a few Russians around here. No shortage of off, koff, noff, loff, roff, soff, and a few ski's thrown in for good measure!

They all seem to be good people, at least the ones I've dealt with.