Survivalist Surviving

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Survivalist Surviving

After watching this video and not finding a thread for it I do believe that knowing how to survive is better than the alternative. Perhaps someone finds themselves stranded out in the wilderness and needs to buy time to make it to a road or town. This trick is to stay warm with the help of a candle in wintertime.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Survivalist Surviving

Interesting, I dug out my candles today just in case of an emergency. :)

A lot of that heat is his own under there.
He should have dug a hole in the snow, and then covered up.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Here’s a winter survival shelter from Norway. This is called a fifteen minute shelter but not everyone is carrying a little shovel with them. I imagine that if there isn’t enough snow one could improvise to build up the sides.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

LOL, just hope a cold bear doesn't crash the party in there, or something else that might want a snack.
Puppies would be alright, good snuggles that would be. :teehe:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Gary Oak wrote: August 10th, 2021, 11:24 pm After watching this video and not finding a thread for it I do believe that knowing how to survive is better than the alternative. Perhaps someone finds themselves stranded out in the wilderness and needs to buy time to make it to a road or town. This trick is to stay warm with the help of a candle in wintertime.
Always be wary about vids like these. You notice how he lights the candle with a Bic lighter? Butane lighters like a Bic won't work in freezing temps. I have a Zippo for cold temps, which will light up in freezing temps. Bic lighters won't.

That said, I live in an area which could be absolutely deadly in the winter if you're lost and not prepared. To be honest it wouldn't take long for your fingers and toes to freeze and gangrene, then your core temp will drop, and you'll eventually strip off all your clothes and walk off into the snow like a drunken madman to your death.

The best advice I can give, is to always know where you are, how far back it is to the nearest dwelling that can help you, and how long it would take you to walk there. You absolutely must know this. GPS can be a helpful tool.

I own a Garmin GPS device that can actually, via satellite, summons a search & rescue team to my location if need be.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the information on this thread. Are you in the Yukon ? This is a topic that I have been interested in for a long time and it is overdue to not have a thread on wilderness survival. Any more survival tips will be appreciated.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yeah Bics don't work, even sometimes if just cold, I noticed that working on construction years back.
Zippo is king :)

As for the part with the blanket, dig out a hole, and a cold well so the cold goes down if you have time, and use that blank after you get done to be cozy in the hole :)
Tree branches, and fur tree branches for cover, and cover that with snow.
I'm really not sure what just a candle will do like he was using it, maybe a little not sure.
Mel Gibson

Gary Oak wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:41 am Thanks for the information on this thread. Are you in the Yukon ? This is a topic that I have been interested in for a long time and it is overdue to not have a thread on wilderness survival. Any more survival tips will be appreciated.
I live in a rural part of BC. Wilderness survival here would be relatively easy in the Spring to Fall months for most guys equipped and experienced with that. Without a proper shelter you'd be fucked here in the Winter though. And by shelter I mean an actual proper dwelling that somewhat seals out the cold, and can provide heat from a heat source like wood. Basically a cabin or a small house, with wood chopped the season before for heat.

It can be a pretty harsh environment for those not accustomed to it, to have to walk through a foot of snow. Most people aren't prepared to deal with snow, so be prepared if you ever have to walk through miles of it.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

About four years after the end of the Second World War the last Japanese soldiers on Iwa Jima surrendered. Here is their story.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I saw on the history channel about those men,
The Japanese officers would kill their men if they where talking about surrender, or trying to run off.
Also they where told the Americans killed them, and would kill everyone in Japan, a lot believed that.

It makes me think of this man, they even made movies about him, and had an episode of the six million dollar man with part of his story. https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world- ... ?firefox=1
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

That is an interesting article as is the other one on that page about the Russian China border dispute back in the sixties. With Russia looking so weak in the Ukraine this must be getting the Chinese thinking about invading and stealing eastern Russia. As for the Japanese essay I believe that it’s likely that many Japanese never surrendered, were never found and simply died years later in the jungles of various places in the former Japanese empire.