Comets & Meteors

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Re: Comets & Meteors

Gary Oak wrote: October 11th, 2021, 6:07 am Maybe this happens more often than we know and when this happens it doesn’t get the publicity that you’d expect these happenings to get.
We get hit a lot, I found a few when I was a kid, two where baseball sized, and magnetized, one iron pyrite my science teacher told me.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-meteorit ... ar?share=1
estimates are that 37000–73000 tons of matter enter our atmosphere every year, mostly dust.

It is estimated that between 36 and 166 meteorites larger than 10 grams and less than 1 Kg fall to Earth for every million square kilometers of area. This accumulates to around 2900–7300 Kg of material every year

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Here’s a rare few seconds video of a meteor hitting the moon. https://sputniknews.com/20230312/video- ... 09154.html

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Being the moon has a lot less mass than earth I have to wonder if you can feel the hits a lot more, and further.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

If there were a moon base then perhaps they could feel them. If that theory that the moon is hollow is true then they could feel the vibrations.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

This is the largest hit we know of on the moon that hasn't got destroyed over time.
If the moon where hollow then you would see inside it, and likely through the other side if a moon where left.
In my opinion the hollow moon idea is bunk.

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for clearing up that falsehood
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I would think maybe a slight hollow spot is inside every planet, and moon that cools down. k
As the core cools down it shrinks maybe leaving some hollowness inside.
Planets shrink also, but still some voids are likely.
I would think the moon would have an iron core like the earth does, and still partly liquid.
You have planets like Mercury likely dead with little to no liquid which has shrinkage.
I would think the core has shrunk away from the mantle in some way unless the planet has shrunk enough to keep contact.

Sorry speculating here, but I think that's what most scientist do on this stuff anyhow.