Bugs

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Bugs

We have several poisonous ones, copperheads are the most common one in my area, but we do have rattlers, Water water moccasin.
Over the years I have caught quite a few copperheads, one neighbor used to come get me to get them away, he was petrified of snakes.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bugs

I don’t think that a huge cloud of ladybugs is to big a worry. I am sure that all farmers in their path wish that they would stay just a little bit longer. https://sputniknews.com/us/201906061075 ... day-fears/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Bugs

Here you go Gary, watch an idiot get stung by one of these monsters.

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bugs

My sound isn’t working. Is that one of Japan’s giant hornets or one of the Chinese huge hornets that I think may be goo and that are killing people ?
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Bugs

It's the Japanese one, big, and pretty neat to be so nasty.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bugs

I was stung by a large queen bumblebee about a year ago and I was surprised how little it’s two stings hurt. A little hornet stings would have felt far worse. Perhaps this giant hornets stings also aren’t comparable to its larger size.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Bugs

Bumble bees have small stingers here, nothing comparable to Hornets.
Like i mentioned before, some of our hornets are about as big as the Japanese ones, the ones who got me had quarter inch stingers on them, and felt like a hammer hitting me.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Bugs

We have the big cicada killer wasps around here. They are around 2 inches long and look scary as hell. But they are not aggressive toward people. Only the big females have stingers and they rarely use them. Also I hear that their sting is less painful than most other species of wasp. They also have big nasty jaws but don't seem to want to bite people. Just the same I don't want them near me...They are also solitary and don't swarm. They also seem to run in cycles with the cicada. During the years when the cicada are super plentiful (every 7 years) so are the wasps...They burrow holes in the sand and live underground. So if you like to go barefoot in the summer around here you have to be careful where you step.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Bugs

We have those, but I don't see them very often, and we have some kind of wasp like them, but real skinny that flicker their tail a lot.

I tried to find the big black hornets that got me years back, I can't find them anyplace on the Kentucky insect page.
Maybe they where shipped in somehow, or blown here in a storm, but they where big, thick hornets, and very painful.
I was sick for about two weeks from one sting in the temple, I'm a bit allergic to stings so that made it dangerous for me.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Bugs

I have never heard of any creature with mirrors on it. https://mymodernmet.com/nicky-bay-mirro ... ijF9Wu6qR8

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Here’s the top ten poisonous spiders. I’ve seen black widows and got an attempted bite from a brown recluse not to long ago. I grabbed this spider that was dropping from a tree to send it to a better place but when I felt a sharp pain my reflexes sent it flying before it could inject any poison. I suspect that it couldn’t penetrate my palm skin.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

We have Black widows, Brown Recluse, and a few other bad ones, glowing scorpions even.
A coworker almost lost his hand from a Brown Recluse, he was moving rocks for drainage when he got bit.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

:laugh: I love the starting of that page.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

This article suggests never killing centipedes if you find one in your house as they hunt and kill cockroaches , ants and spiders. He may have a good point. Mind you the huge Asian centipedes might not be such a great idea as their bite is excruciating. https://en.newsner.com/animals/why-you- ... our-house/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

A lot of bugs like Crickets, and centipede come in your house because of humidity, and damp places they can hide.
Also calking the gaps in the house can help keep them out along with a dehumidifier.
I have helped quite a few people get them out of their houses without killing them off.

Also the average house spider, and centipede are helpful critters even if creepy looking, let them out, or keep a few around because they are after bugs we don't need.
A wet paper towel is a good way to catch bugs without hurting them, just sit the towel outside, and the bugs will crawl off them.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I thought that the locust problems in the USA were long gone. Well this plague has returned to Utah. This swarm is so huge it’s been picked up on weather radar. I was going to post this article on the plague’s thread as locusts were one of God’s plagues in Egypt during Moses’s time there. These locusts are eating everything in their path as they always do. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... RADAR.html