Canadian/US phenomenon of working ourselves to death...

General talk, and discussion.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: February 13th, 2019, 9:36 am
Renee wrote: February 11th, 2019, 11:07 am Mel, face it;....you spilled your marbles all over the floor....The ones you recovered are all chipped and no longer roll in a straight line.
That's OK though... They may be chipped, hammered, and not roll straight, but that is how they forge steel too, by hammering and beating on it until they think it can't take anymore... And then what emerges is a forging that is stronger than the other steels...
Unfortunately marbles are not made of steel, glass or lucite seem to be popular.....Hammer on those and they will shatter like your classy Correlle dinnerware.

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Mel Gibson

Renee wrote: February 13th, 2019, 2:10 pm Unfortunately marbles are not made of steel, glass or lucite seem to be popular.....Hammer on those and they will shatter like your classy Correlle dinnerware.
My marbles, and balls too, are in fact made out of steel. Forged steel... Many have tried to bust 'em, but they just won't break, unlike my Correlle bowl...

That said, you know I have a set of Royal Albert's, for when I wanna get me Royal on in a classy manner, and start quoting "the best of" Prince Philip quotes, which are always a winner!
genocide088

Re: Canadian/US phenomenon of working ourselves to death...

Mel Gibson wrote: February 4th, 2019, 8:38 pm I don't think this problem is quite as prevalent in the rest of the Western world as it is in these two countries.

Here is an example... On Thursday I have to take the day off, since in this Province multi-unit dwellings have to have their smoke detectors tested once a year. They just spray something under it, and it only takes them a few seconds, but nonetheless I have to be here to let them in. This test is not 'optional.' It is required by law, and under the Fire Marshal Act I cannot refuse entry for this test. Eventually the Fire Marshal would come with the cops, I'm sure, if you refused entry too many times. Fire Marshal doesn't need a warrant for entry into any building, be it condo, detached house, business, etc. They have the right to enter and inspect any building.

The strata chooses the day this is done, and it's always during the week. If I am not here to let them in, I will have to personally pay the testing guys to come back at a later date, which is something that I don't want to do.

Customer is already crying that he needs me on Thursday. First off, I'm not his fucking employee, but said that I can be there if he is willing to pay for my smoke alarm re-test. Of course he doesn't want to do that either.

It's a simple matter of me needing to be home that day, and I will be home that day. I don't want to fucking argue about it. I haven't taken a vacation in 2 1/2 fucking years, so fuck off with this making me feel guilty bullshit about one fucking day.

I'm not so sure Europe has the same mentality as Canada/USA does in this regard, where needing to take one fucking day off is some kind of horrendous request, and how dare I even think about doing such a bad thing... :wacko:
i did see that only 29% of canadians even took a 2 week holiday in different stats different years

this is crazy

what has happened in canada i bet 50 years ago just the man worked and had a big family he could afford it

every year since costs went up while wages didnt keep pace

especailly tax increases and housing costs

so then wife had to work as well to maintain that same standard of living

then got to expensive to have children so have less or none

and now this trying to keep up with the same standard they once had might even

mean taking on 2 jobs and or cutting holiday time

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/05/29/emp ... ys-canada/
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

LOL, even when I took a vacation it was to work at home, or for someone else.
I really wish I could still do all that, I miss working.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Gotta wonder if for some people like me if working is addictive :think: I'm still looking for things I can do even if it takes forever anymore.
Maybe like working out, and running for some people, they get this addiction for it.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Here is a good job for someone, I needed this job as a kid.
Painting water tanks a friend of mine made a million a year 30 years back, another good one for those who don't mind heights.

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

When I was younger and could do one arm chin-ups with either hand climbing at heights wasn’t nearly as scary. Now however I had better leave these jobs to the experts….and lunatics.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

When I worked in a distillery they would put me on the cleaning the ceiling job because I enjoyed being left alone up there.
Not noting like in the video, but heights never bothered me till lately.
Used to climb a lot of trees growing up, and hills, cliffs, and such.
I would have took that job anytime in the past when I could do it.