Trees

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Trees

Were you watering it ? I’ve seen large sequoias in Vancouver and they are fine. It is a west coast tree and I suspect that they might need some extra hydration in Kentucky.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Oh it got watered, but the ground here is hard, and it gets pretty hot, small Sequoia need water like you said, but young ones need cover more I believe from the sun.
We get 100 plus heat in the summer a lot of times, I believe that might be the issue here.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

The sequoias are from California so I doubt that the hot weather would be a problem.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

They are trees that grow in groups for support from high winds, if alone they could fall.
Unbending is not always good, sometimes we have to yield, and be flexible.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

New fossils from nearly 400 million years ago have been discovered in Britain. According to this article there’s been a few other fossils of this time.
https://thedebrief.org/newly-found-rema ... ent-trees/

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I used to see an occasional one in the many woods I have been in, but not for a long time now.
So sad.

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Are there no survivors ? In 1911 a rust wiped out the beautiful western white pine from the west coast of North America from California to southern British Columbia but there are a few survivors. I hope that this American chestnut can be restored to its former glory.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have seen them in my lifetime, but very rare, those are now gone because of construction.
The Chinese chestnut is nasty in comparison in my opinion.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I just googled the American chestnut. Apparently there’s about 430 million American chestnuts still thriving. There’s an American chestnut restoration project and I believe that they will get this amazing tree back. Google says that southern Ontario was part of its original jab. I am sure that it could grow in the Vancouver area and Vancouver island as well but could become a problematic invasive species there.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Not many in our area here in KY, but maybe in the forest areas owned by the state.
The last one I know of on private property was cut down, and used for furniture, the old woman that lived there her whole life was irate when she found out.
It was pretty big so maybe 500 years old, but damaged by storms.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Who cut it down if it was on her property ? This sounds quite odd.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I think it was an inlaw, he did the woodworking.
Might have been the son who said go ahead, and cut it down, he didn't live there anymore.
The old woman couldn't take care of things, and had people coming in all the time keeping things clean, so she might have had the property signed over to the son.
I do remember her being upset, and how big the tree was, three grown men might could reach around it.
The squirrels was always all over the thing, I'm sure they where upset also along with every other animal in the area.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

That tree was a monument. What a disgrace it had to be chopped down for some baboons hobby.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

There was one of the biggest, and oldest walnut trees in Kentucky cut down near me for an Aldi's food store.
When I was in High school cutting class i would go to the Convenient store passing by it, and on the way back to class I would stop, and sit under it for a time.
I would think maybe five people might be able to reach around it.
I really think it's a sin against nature, and future generations destroying such ancient things.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I agree, I have called the gigantic trees monuments to nature for a long time.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The thing is about that old tree, they didn't even need to cut it down, it would have been behind the store anyhow.
It ended up being just grass anyhow.
Shame on the city for letting them do it, everyone who knew about it knew it was old, and the largest in the area.
It's all about money though.