How Much Allowance Should You Give Your Child?

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I got a quarter a week till I was like 5 years old, and then a dollar till I was maybe 10, then $5after that for a spell.
I worked around the house, and yard for mine, but the others didn't do anything.
If I had a kid I think I would give the bear minimum for maybe a toy, or if they really wanted something we could talk about it.
I think I would have a hard time not spoiling them as I do my nephew.
Kids need to learn so they need to work some for the money, I think it would build some character if they did, and appreciation.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Shen Li

I didn't actually have a set allowance like most Canadian kids did. My parents just gave me pocket money whenever I asked for it and they still do. :wink:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

LOL funny I ended up giving my parents money :) I wish I had given them more when my dad was alive.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

I gave my kids $1 per month per year of age. I'm past the allowance stage now, thankfully!
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

WOW nice way of doing it, I wish I got that for a while.
It didn't matter much after i got to 9 years old, I cut grass to make money.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

I never connected allowance with work ... I told my kids they had to work around the house because they were members of the family and had that responsibility. Their allowance was just for being alive ... and to try to teach them financial management. I think it worked, because my son has been saving for a few years for a down payment on a house and my daughter has $10k in the bank. :)
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

See I'm the only kid in the family that learned to manage even though we didn't have to work.
i was a born workaholic so I guess I was born a money kind of guy, I had $100 in the bank at 9 from my allowance of a dollar a week.
That was a lot then.