News

General talk, and discussion.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

News

Yep, that's what I think as well. "Sent from my iphone" a bit pretentious. I laughed when I saw your sig. :) Nah, I hate company logos on stuff as well, about as subtle as a brick. The maker of it should be paying the wearer, not the other way around. :kez:

Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

News

This would be a good example of the marketing gimmick:

Premier's push for pipeline demands too late: analyst
Dan Burritt Jul 31, 2012 16:56:09 PM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - At least one political watcher doesn't think much of Premier Christy Clark's push for you to support her five requirements on major oil projects like the Northern Gateway pipeline. If you log onto bcliberals.com, under the banner "Putting BC First," you can fill out an online show of support for Clark and her government's five minimum requirements for heavy oil projects in BC. They include demanding top-notch environmental protection and, most controversially, a fair share of the proposed economic benefits, which Alberta Premier Alison Redford has balked at.
Full story at: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... te-analyst

There is a huge number of people objecting this project, so:
"If you log onto http://www.bcliberals.com, under the banner Putting BC First, you can fill out an online show of support for Clark and her government's five minimum requirements for heavy oil projects in BC."
In other words we are asked to vote for a pipeline to be build, so that politicians has something to show when asked if there is support for oil projects by locals. You are just being asked how much would you sell your province for! And its not like we'll see a dime of that money...
sent from my desktop using a keyboard
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

News

Twilight turtle wrote:Nah, I hate company logos on stuff as well, about as subtle as a brick. The maker of it should be paying the wearer, not the other way around. :kez:
:) :thumbsup:

"Every person repeatedly hears this hypnopaedic phrase from an early age. The phrase is embedded so deeply into the consciousness of each person that they take its meaning to be truth. In this case, the phrase sparks consumer behavior, since the more a person repairs their consumer goods, the less they will buy, resulting in less money in the economic system of society. Creating consumption is one of the chief tasks of government because consumption keeps lower castes employed with no time on their hands for disruptive behavior."
- Aldous Huxley
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

News

Finally!! A step in good direction (all depends on how its done tho - the devil is usually in the details):

BC politicians will soon post expense reports online. Starting in October, quarterly expenses for MLA's will be going up on the Internet
Andrew Hopkins Jul 31, 2012 19:51:53 PM

"VICTORIA (NEWS1130) - BC politicians are moving to make it easier for you to find out how they're spending your tax dollars. MLA expense reports will soon be posted online. The adjustment comes after a scathing report by Auditor General John Doyle pointed to major problems with the legislature's book keeping. Starting in October, quarterly expenses for MLA's will be going up on the Internet.

New Democrat Leonard Krog thinks it's a positive move. "None of us have anything to hide, so to speak [ :rofl: ], I can't see why it wouldn't be seen as a positive step," he says. "People will see where we're going, what we're doing when we're there, and I think it's a pretty straight forward process." Two people are also being appointed to improve financial controls, and an executive financial officer will be brought as M-L-A move on the auditor's recommendations. "

Source: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... rts-online
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

Dagon wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
:rofl: I love that one The Life of Brian
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

Video: Japanese company unveiled KURATAS, the bi-pedal robot with gatling guns for arms from your dystopian future :think: Robocop , Gundam maybe

Anyone seen RoboCop? James Cameron
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Ryanissimo
"Piano Man"
"Piano Man"

News

A thief with a conscience. :think:

Ontario thief returns stolen goods with apology note

The guilty party also left money for the Guelph family to repair damage to a screen door

A thief in Ontario broke into a home and stole an Xbox and a digital camera worth more than $1,000, but apparently felt remorseful after the crime.

The next morning the family found a plastic bag on the porch containing the stolen items, a note and $50, reports CTV News. The $50 was to pay for damage caused to the screen door during the break-in and the note was a letter of apology.

"Dear Family I have wronged. I'm the one who committed the serious crimes against your family and I want to apologize from the bottom of my heart," reads the letter. "It was nothing personal and I didn't go through any of your personal belongings. I have been having a very hard time financially lately and I made the worst mistake of my life. I would also commit to at least 15 hours of community service to partially help atone for what I have done."

This isn't the first time the police have had to look for a thief looking to repent. Last August a gym bag was returned in Guelph along with an apology note that was sent from "stupid teenagers."

In October, a person stole several items from a Yellowknife convenience store, but returned them the next day after the store's owner contacted one of the suspect's relatives.

And a New Hampshire man stole a 61-year-old's wallet from her purse and eight days later went to the woman's house to drop off the stolen items along with an apology note before running away.

Police say the letter in the most recent case doesn't change the fact that the person committed a crime and are looking for the suspect, but are glad he or she returned the items.

"Just when you lose your faith in humanity," said Guelph Police Sgt. Doug Pflug to CTV. "Instead of ditching the property in the garbage can, or what have you, they returned it."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-bu ... 41696.html
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

Interesting, I wonder if mom is talking in the back of their heads or a bible school lesson.
Ryanissimo
"Piano Man"
"Piano Man"

News

Blue Frost wrote:Interesting, I wonder if mom is talking in the back of their heads or a bible school lesson.
Well, the note did say "I have been having a very hard time financially lately and I made the worst mistake of my life". Perhaps he's a decent human being who just made a horrible decision.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

Apparently, but usually someone pushed some morals into his head, maybe he had good parents that tried.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

News

I love to hear stories like that! It takes a lot of guts to return the items instead of just dump them. :)
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

I hope if he is found they let him off easy, people like that need a chance.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

News

I am SO glad we don't live in a culture where stoning is acceptable ... that video put the fear of Jehovah into me. Oh wait ... I didn't mean to say that ... :panic:
Wag more, bark less.
Ryanissimo
"Piano Man"
"Piano Man"

News

Blue Frost wrote:I hope if he is found they let him off easy, people like that need a chance.
The guy has already made amends. I see no reason to waste police resources in tracking him down. :scratch:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

LOL Sharlee how about throwing shoes at you :)

Ryanissimo the police would still arrest him regardless, I would hope they would be some judge to let him go with a warning..
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

News

Hey, if you throw shoes, I'll sign up for stoning!!!
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

LOL hit me baby one more time :cheer:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

Torture or training? Inside the brutal Chinese gymnasium where the country's future Olympic stars are beaten into shape

http://www.readability.com/read?url=htt ... -bars.html :link:

China isn't the only place, and even here the kids are really forced to go beyond.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

News

Michael Phelps is getting another medal :unsure: and maybe another tomorrow, boy he can swim.
I remember as a kid admiring Mark Spitz so much, I wonder how many boys are doing the same with Phelps.
We all like to have a hero.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

News

Phelps seems like a truly nice person. I'm really happy for him ... I just wish he were half Canadian! :)
Wag more, bark less.