May Is Asian Heritage Month

General talk, and discussion.
Shen Li

For those of us who are Asian or appreciate our contribution to our wonderful nation.

[quote]May is Asian Heritage Month. This acknowledges the long and rich history of Asian Canadians and their contributions to Canada. It also provides an opportunity for Canadians across the country to reflect on and celebrate the contributions of Canadians of Asian heritage to the growth and prosperity of Canada. Read a statement from the Minister on Asian Heritage Month 2012.

Canada

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I appreciate anyone who contributes, and Asians have more than most it seems.
It's so rich in history, and lasting achievements.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

I got this necklace from energymuse recently. Have been wearing it daily. It's like chinese.
Shen Li

Hi Guardian Flash and Keeper, nice to see both of you here. I love Chinese food too Keeper, especially when my Mother cooks it.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I wish I could get some good Chinese food, all we have is fast food places.
The little hole in the wall places here are horrid, and the sad part is I know it could be better than what they make it.
Fast food Chinese here is nasty, they use something like axle grease to cook with :yuk:
Anyone ever have that ?
Oh, I have had a few stir-fry dishes homemade that was pretty awesome, very tasty .

A friend of mine took me to one once that was better, but it was a buffet style place. I don't care for buffets though, the people are so unsanitary getting their food .

Well enough complaining, Sorry :laugh:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Shen Li

We came to Canada when I was in grade 3. It wasn`t until senior high that I met a person of European descent with the family name Lee. I was so surprised that a white person could have that surname I didn`t know what to say to him and he was cute. :o

Just a little anecdote I thought I`d share.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

LOL common name really from Asia to Europe or as I call it Eurasia.
I knew some Lee's, one said he was related to Robert E. Lee.
I just wonder who the first Lee was that had all the kids :laugh:
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:LOL common name really from Asia to Europe or as I call it Eurasia.
I knew some Lee's, one said he was related to Robert E. Lee.
I just wonder who the first Lee was that had all the kids :laugh:
Hehe, he must have been a devout Christian as he sure went forth and multiplied. :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I don't know what he was but he did, I wonder sometimes if Gingus Khan's last name was Lee :teehe: that would explain a lot .
He has more people in his tree than about anyone in history from Asia to north Africa
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Xiao Jie wrote:We came to Canada when I was in grade 3. It wasn`t until senior high that I met a person of European descent with the family name Lee. I was so surprised that a white person could have that surname I didn`t know what to say to him and he was cute. :o

Is he who you wedded last year?
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

I haven't heard of Asian Heritage Month, which is really bizarre, because I live in a city in which more than 60% of the population is Asian. I wonder if it just hasn't caught on here or if I'm out of the loop?
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

February here is Black History month, I wonder where is Indian, Mexican, and White is :wacko:
I think we should have heritage days instead, like St Patric's day.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

I kind of have mixed feelings about the whole heritage thing ... I think it's important to encourage people to be proud of their heritage and the contribution they've made to the country and to the world, but it seems that up here we're all divided into little racial groups and everyone is so busy being proud of their heritage, however many generations you have to go back to find someone born in a different country, they lose interest in identifying as Canadian. It can lead to problems.
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I agree Sharlee. Even though it's good to remember where one comes from, it's more important to remember who you are, and what you want to make of your country.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

It's a fine line to walk, between the past and future. I really hope that I'm able to communicate to my kids the importance of who you are being more important than what you are.
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Well for me I have so many places to say I'm from I don't bother really, I'm me, and want to be my best no matter .
Everyone also comes from the same place you go back far enough.
Shen Li

GuardianFlash wrote:
Xiao Jie wrote:We came to Canada when I was in grade 3. It wasn`t until senior high that I met a person of European descent with the family name Lee. I was so surprised that a white person could have that surname I didn`t know what to say to him and he was cute. :o

Is he who you wedded last year?
No, haven`t seen him several years.
Shen Li

Sharlee wrote:I kind of have mixed feelings about the whole heritage thing ... I think it's important to encourage people to be proud of their heritage and the contribution they've made to the country and to the world, but it seems that up here we're all divided into little racial groups and everyone is so busy being proud of their heritage, however many generations you have to go back to find someone born in a different country, they lose interest in identifying as Canadian. It can lead to problems.
I`m not a fan of official multiculturalism and one might be surprised to hear that from me. The feds take our money and spend on on parades and cultural events in certain communities. Basically buying the ethnic vote with our money. It benefits a few community associations and bureaucrats who dole out the money, but does little for people in that community or taxpayers in general. I argued this point with Romero(surprise, surprise) who falsely claimed that without "official" muliticult I would forget how to use kuai zi. :wacko:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I love your answer Xiao Jie, that's my view also, and that's great to here from someone from another ethnic background.
It is a waste, and most definitely a bribe for votes. Whats really a shame is people ignore when they are being manipulated.
Now as for some group wanting their own parade let them pay for it, nothing wrong there in my opinion.
Government putting our money out for them not so much.
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:I love your answer Xiao Jie, that's my view also, and that's great to here from someone from another ethnic background.
It is a waste, and most definitely a bribe for votes. Whats really a shame is people ignore when they are being manipulated.
Now as for some group wanting their own parade let them pay for it, nothing wrong there in my opinion.
Government putting our money out for them not so much.
There are many people of all ethnic backgrounds who see "official" multicult for what it really is....vote buying. Neil Bissondeth has often remarked at how unremarkable it really is. Governments taking credit for people maintaining their cuisine, heritage and culture....gimme a break. :angry: