Music thread

Civil discussion, and self moderation appreciated :-)
beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Re: Music thread

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

beanthere
"VIP"
"VIP"

Whoever cast David Cassidy and Susan Dey for this show really knew their target audience...The girls all liked Cassidy, the boys all had a thing for Dey.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

beanthere wrote: March 12th, 2022, 1:05 am Well that is a trip through time. I don't remember the walkers but pretty much everyone else. The guilty pleasures tape would be the soundtrack through my childhood. I remember watching HR puffinstuff. God, what where we thinking in those days. The cowsills were the inspiration for a new musical family introduced in the 70's...the partridge family. Originally, the show was to be the cowsill family but then, they had all grown up by then. The only musically talented member of the partridge family was David Cassidy, all the others were faking it. "Danny, how many times you have to be told - you pluck the bass guitar, you don't strum it." David Cassidy actually wrote some of the songs, but the music was him, and a group of professionals working behind the scenes. Rush is a classic 70's Canadian band but I never really got into them. Locally, we had bands like Sweeny Todd, that had Brian Adams involved for part of it, Bachman Turner Overdrive, and Trooper were standard fare for us west coasters. I remember listening to ELO, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, (Rumours is still one of the best albums out there), and some Alan Parson's Project. Abba was big in my youth, but then, if I craved something mellower, there was John Denver, or the Carpenters. The 70's music was like going to eat out in a restaurant, what are you hungry for...Queen? Styx? The London Philharmonic doing Star Wars? How about the Bee gees? What a time it was.
All that guilty pleasures stuff is before my time but it resonates with me. I grew up hearing it along with the Doors, the Moody Blues, Bob Dylan, CSNY, The Who, the Grateful Dead, and of course the Beatles and the Stones as my parents are Woodstock era people. Between my mom and dad they probably have one of most extensive record and CD collections I ever seen. You can find everything from opera to bubblegum in there and as a young teen I spent hours digging through that eclectic pile of music and developed an appreciation for all sorts music. In HS when my peers were listening to things like Duran Duran, INXS, Madonna, etc, I was listing to Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Bowie and Renaissance.

As for the Cowsills, they were not only too old but they were also deemed too ugly for TV... :laugh: They had bad teeth and shit and just were polished enough. Also The oldest members were also heavily into drugs. David Cassidy was actually the real life step son of Shirley Jones who played the mom on the Partridge Family. Although David Cassidy did most of the vocals and wrote much of the music, Shirley Jones did lend her voice on backing vocals on some tracks. She was classically trained in Opera and has an impressive voice. If you have ever seen the film version of the Broadway play "The Music Man" you know how beautiful her voice was.

I agree that the 70s produced an amazing range of music unfortunately not all of it was good... that disco crap was basically an abomination and it ushered in an era of corporate music that was designed to maximize profits at the expense of talent and basically ruined popular music. Although there have been some bright spots along the way, the state of music has gotten progressively worse and worse until we have come to the artificial sounding, mawkish, soulless, dreck that we have today.
“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

beanthere wrote: March 12th, 2022, 1:05 am Well that is a trip through time. I don't remember the walkers but pretty much everyone else. The guilty pleasures tape would be the soundtrack through my childhood. I remember watching HR puffinstuff. God, what where we thinking in those days. The cowsills were the inspiration for a new musical family introduced in the 70's...the partridge family. Originally, the show was to be the cowsill family but then, they had all grown up by then. The only musically talented member of the partridge family was David Cassidy, all the others were faking it. "Danny, how many times you have to be told - you pluck the bass guitar, you don't strum it." David Cassidy actually wrote some of the songs, but the music was him, and a group of professionals working behind the scenes. Rush is a classic 70's Canadian band but I never really got into them. Locally, we had bands like Sweeny Todd, that had Brian Adams involved for part of it, Bachman Turner Overdrive, and Trooper were standard fare for us west coasters. I remember listening to ELO, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, (Rumours is still one of the best albums out there), and some Alan Parson's Project. Abba was big in my youth, but then, if I craved something mellower, there was John Denver, or the Carpenters. The 70's music was like going to eat out in a restaurant, what are you hungry for...Queen? Styx? The London Philharmonic doing Star Wars? How about the Bee gees? What a time it was.
I'm glad i missed UFO, and HR Puffinstuff, but did get episodes of Sigmund and the Sea monsters :facepalm: that stuff had to be done by people on Acid back then.
At the time my favorite things where Fright Night Theater, Benny Hill, and Dave Allen at large.
Some other things where Night Gallery, Outer Limits, and the Westerns.

Bee Gees, Abba, and a few others :teehe: they where pretty good, but the guys wasn't suppose to admit it :laugh:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

My first album, Pink Floyd came next.

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

A good tribute, It's sad i didn't realize she died.
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.”....Frederick Douglas
Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Renee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Quick Reply

This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.