To Serve and Protect

General talk, and discussion.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

To Serve and Protect

Dagon wrote:
Sharlee wrote:I hear you, Dagon, but I think we have to have respect for the role even if some of the individuals in the role don't deserve it. I've met far too many great cops to believe that most are bad.

Your comment about the good apples with the bad reminds me of what my parents used to tell me ... "trying to influence bad friends by being good while you hang out with them is like saying that instead of getting a glove muddy, you get mud glovey." Something like that ... you get the idea. :)
And I hear you, but considering that I do not know many of these "good apples" you speak of, as an atheist ( :toung: ), I cannot take that on faith alone. I guess, one can say that the devil deceives me by throwing sand in my eyes. Also, it is quite different when you hang around with friends from when you pursue a career by joining in a highly hierarchic organization that has no accountability and all the power...

"Total power corrupts totally"

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
Cheers.
I completely agree about the corrupting potential of absolute power and I'm not suggesting that even the good apples don't sometimes abuse their power. But the fact remains that there are good guys out there. Just like there are good politicians. Surely you don't believe that every cop is corrupt ...

Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

I was just thinking that if I was Superman :laugh:
I would be uncorrectable, money would mean nothing to me.
Power I would already have, how could I ask for more .
People would worship me, some would not .
:think:
I would commit crimes though.
First I would kidnap a lot of politicians to put on an Island to talk things out, or they would stay there .
I have plans :laugh:
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Registered Guest
"Mr. ICONIC"
"Mr. ICONIC"

To Serve and Protect

Ha.,

A lot of our banks up here, have decals that indicate, if you are wearing a hoodie, baseball cap, or other such head gear, except the religious denomination, and sunglasses, you are not allowed to enter the bank.
I don't concern myself, with other peoples thoughts. They can think what they want, and grind it around in their head. I always get a good nights rest. They however, are exhausted, thinking about me. My trade mark, :laugh: :laugh:
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

Blue Frost wrote:If I had total power some may say it corrupted me.
I would be vicious to the criminals that deserve it slamming the bars on most forever in work camps to pay back society.
If I was to solve some issues I would make examples maybe with wars, and cruelty to make a point.
If you want peace some people need a reason to be peaceful, sometimes that takes fear.
Peace can be expensive along with freedoms.
I see... in other words: the Gandhi Way! :laugh:
Oh crap! Didn't they tried this method over and over and over again? Do you remember how that usually ends...

I guess, not for me to judge. Even if I try very hard to walk the path -> I've noticed that as an imperfect human being, I keep on stumbling off of it. Such is my nature.
But, I also believe, that the point is: to dust oneself off and with the honest internal need - try again.

"The pathway to salvation is as narrow and as difficult to walk as a razor's edge." - Tibetan Monk.
sent from my desktop using a keyboard
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

Sharlee wrote:I completely agree about the corrupting potential of absolute power and I'm not suggesting that even the good apples don't sometimes abuse their power. But the fact remains that there are good guys out there. Just like there are good politicians. Surely you don't believe that every cop is corrupt ...
No, I do not. But bare in mind that in hierarchical institutions it is more important what your convictions are than your skills. And it doesn't matter whether it is a USSR type of State, Bank, corporation, Church, Police or even the Scientologists: they all have a lot of the dirt under their rugs to hide. By their very design, hierarchical institutions are build in form of the pyramid's shape with mid to top levels accessible only to those who can be trusted. Sometimes, those at the lower levels either do not know what the whole picture is or are lied to to be recruited (think: The Manhattan Project). And in many cases in history, your only choice was to subject, quit or disappear once you stepped inside that lobby.

As to specifically a Police potential for corruption..., a good example would be a story of Frank Serpico.
Cheers.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

To Serve and Protect

Sadly, you're right about every institution ... indeed, every person ... having something to hide. True transparency is to be admired and I tend to gravitate to those institutions that are more transparent.
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

Dagon wrote:
Blue Frost wrote:If I had total power some may say it corrupted me.
I would be vicious to the criminals that deserve it slamming the bars on most forever in work camps to pay back society.
If I was to solve some issues I would make examples maybe with wars, and cruelty to make a point.
If you want peace some people need a reason to be peaceful, sometimes that takes fear.
Peace can be expensive along with freedoms.
I see... in other words: the Gandhi Way! :laugh:
Oh crap! Didn't they tried this method over and over and over again? Do you remember how that usually ends...

I guess, not for me to judge. Even if I try very hard to walk the path -> I've noticed that as an imperfect human being, I keep on stumbling off of it. Such is my nature.
But, I also believe, that the point is: to dust oneself off and with the honest internal need - try again.

"The pathway to salvation is as narrow and as difficult to walk as a razor's edge." - Tibetan Monk.
Well no matter how nice you are to people someone will be or angry, wars are certain in every takeover even if seemingly peaceful.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

Nothing like a lightning arms of the Law: now, after a FOUR YEARS of PAID vacation:

Mountie who obstructed justice in 2008 no longer with force
Corporal Monty Robinson was involved in a deadly crash

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS1130) - The Mountie who has been convicted of obstructing justice [not to mention such a small thing as two civilian corpses on his record!!] is no longer with the force. The RCMP says Monty Robinson submitted his discharge papers and E-Division commander Craig Callens signed them. The force says Robinson was not fired.

"While I have been clear that I was seeking his involuntary dismissal, the opportunity to discharge him from the organization this morning was one which eliminated further delays, costs and uncertainty," says Callens in a statement. "Mr. Robinson
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

RCMP denies sexual harassment claims by BC Mountie
Two levels of government claim Cpl. Catherine Galliford refused treatment
Dan Burritt Jul 18, 2012 06:28:22 AM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The RCMP has issued a sweeping denial of claims of sexual harassment by a well-known BC Mountie. But, Corporal Catherine Galliford says she is glad the force is finally responding. Last year, she went public with accusations she was harassed on the job for years, leading her to developing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and coping with alcohol. She sued the force in May of this year and her claims sparked a wave of complaints from other female Mounties and a push by the force and its new Commissioner, Bob Paulson, to root out problem behaviours and officers.

But in a joint statement, the BC and federal governments, acting on behalf of the RCMP, deny all of Galliford's claims, instead painting her as an alcoholic who refused to get treatment [Dziekanski's deja vu anyone?]. Galliford insists she's pleased the force is coming forward with something. "It's fortunate for me the RCMP has come out with a statement of claim. I'm quite happy about that," says Galliford, "because I'm kind of waiting in the wings all of the time, that's how it feels." She explains she went to a doctor working for the RCMP years ago because she was drinking a bottle of wine a night to cope with the stress of the suspected harassment. "He said, 'You're an alcoholic,' and I said, 'Okay.' So I did everything he asked me to do. But he wouldn't address the harassment in the workplace. And I kept on saying, 'I can't go back in there.'" Galliford told the physician she would sign a "relapse prevention agreement.

"And I said to him, 'but can you provide me with a harassment-free work environment?' And they couldn't." Asked if she is sober today, Galliford says she is trying. "I'm hit and miss, but I was never like one of those weird drunk people. But my coping mechanism was, 'You know what, Catherine? If you feel like you're having a panic attack, have a beer.'" Neither Galliford's claims nor the statement of defence by the governments have been proven in court.

Meanwhile, BC Justice Minister Shirley Bond issued a written statement saying the province is not directly involved in Galliford's civil claim. "Per legal procedure under the Police Act, the Province is named as defendant and these litigation matters are solely led by the federal Department of Justice. Additionally, the recently signed memorandum of agreement for RCMP policing provides that the Province is indemnified in these situations. The province may become directly involved where BC police who are not members of the RCMP are involved and in that case the province would state its position."

Source: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... bc-mountie

RCMP supt. comments are "shameful": police psychologist
RCMP recruiter says women need to rely on inner strength to work in the Mounties

Mike Lloyd/Vancouver Sun Jul 19, 2012 10:23:34 AM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Be "resilient," rely on your "inner strength"; BC's top recruiter for the RCMP suggests women need to be tough to work for the Mounties. Superintendent Maria Nickel also claims the recent lawsuits and accusations of sexual harassment in the force are not turning women away from careers policing, with the number of female recruits actually up in the last fiscal year. "Really, you are going into a predominantly-male environment and... you need to rely on that inner strength that we all have, and to put that to your advantage when you are in any work situation," she tells the Vancouver Sun.

"Let's face it, you could work for a bank somewhere and be subjected to some form of harassment. You need to be able to have that strength to deal with it. I think the bulk of the ladies who are coming out as applicants realize that," she goes on to say. "You can either let yourself be a victim of it, if you will, or you can rely on that inner strength to say, 'No, you know, my intention is that I am going to succeed'."

Police psychologist Dr. Mike Webster calls the statement a slap in the face for female Mounties. "It's shameful for her to come out and say something like this." Webster feels the RCMP is downplaying the attitudes women face in the force. "It's a grin-and-bear-it kind of statement and of course, that's what's going to come from inside the organization," he tells News1130. "What she's saying, if you take this to the logical extreme, is 'Yeah, it's bad; it's not a place for women to work. It's dangerous, but grin and bear it, girls - you'll be fine,'" argues Webster.

Maria Nickel sent News1130 an email several hours after our story was published:

"Its also worth noting that, while a degree of toughness may be required for any police officer, male or female, the RCMP focuses on the values of the applicants. If someone is honest, compassionate, professional, accountable and respectful, they would have a great career with the RCMP." [ :rofl: - with all last decade's accounts to the contrary] "The RCMP is a terrific career and I would do the 35 years all over again in a heartbeat!!" Yesterday, the RCMP made a sweeping denial of claims of sexual harassment by Corporal Catherine Galliford. The force is facing a number of lawsuits from current and former officers and employees.

Source: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... ychologist

So, yeah gals - your supervisors in RCMP will pay you well for paddling your ass - just look for that "inner strength" to bite your teeth and take it like a good Smurfette...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

Woman need to speak up as soon as it starts, it helps set boundaries.
Some wait till it goes on for a while, then complains, that's not good for her, or the guys.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

To Serve and Protect

I think there are bound to be problems any time a woman ventures into a predominantly male, testosterone-laden environment such as policing or firefighting. I have absolutely no doubt that most of the complaints are well founded, but I expect it's still going to take a long time before female cops are considered by their peers to be equals. I'm guessing that the old guard will have to retire before that happens. :(
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

Woman shouldn't have to deal with that, but they should know they need to stick up for themselves.
Speak out, and don't play around, and let it go like a lot do before getting mad.
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

To Serve and Protect

I agree ... they should walk in with their eyes wide open and expect it (even though it shouldn't be happening) and speak up immediately when someone does something inappropriate.

I think too many women in that situation are silent because they want to be one of the guys.
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

Exactly Sharlee, and they are not respected, it's all about respect for most.
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

And Justice For All aka The Canadian "justice" Farce Continues...

No jail time for disgraced ex-Mountie Monty Robinson
House arrest for 1 month, followed by probation and curfew
Posted: Jul 27, 2012 7:02 AM PT

Disgraced former Mountie Benjamin (Monty) Robinson has been given a 12-month conditional sentence for obstruction of justice relating to a fatal collision with a motorcycle in Delta, B.C., in 2008. The sentence means Robinson, 42, will not serve any time in jail. He will have to spend one month under house arrest and the rest of the time he will be under the supervision of a probation officer and subject to a curfew at night.

Justice Janice Dillon also ordered Robinson to write an apology to the family of Orion Hutchinson, who was killed in the crash, and pay a $1,000 fine to Victim Services. At the sentencing hearing, Robinson never apologized or expressed remorse for leaving Hutchinson dead or dying on the road while he went home to drink. But Dillon also noted that when she handed down the sentence she had to consider the fact Robinson was a first time offender, an alcoholic and an aboriginal man.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... ncing.html

LOL! What did that first-time offender at the Vancouver got for participating in riot... was that 6 months in jail?
I guess you got to have a sense of humor in BC... or be on drugs 24/7 if you cannot see anything wrong with the above picture.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

So unnecessary that that happen as many would say, but such a travesty of justice he walks free after killing someone.
It's not just there Dagon, it's everywhere.
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

About 200 women ask to join lawsuit against RCMP. They are claiming discrimination and harassment on the job
Dan Burritt Jul 30, 2012 15:56:16 PM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Hundreds of women have come forward to be part of a class-action lawsuit against the RCMP over claims of discrimination and harassment. Lawyers expected several dozen women to ask to be part of the lawsuit, launched in March by former veteran Mountie Janet Merlo, but attorney Jason Murray says about 200 women have called him claiming harassment and discrimination in the RCMP, both sworn officers and civilian workers from across Canada. "I think the numbers, they speak for themselves, that there are a significant number of women who have worked or who currently work with the RCMP who feel that there's a problem with respect to how they're treated as women," he says.

The case will start with a case management conference on Thursday in BC Supreme Court, but Murray notes it could take months or even a year for a court to decide if it can be a class-action suit. "A class action [lawsuit] in general is a longer procedure, a long road," Murray explains. "The certification is the first...significant step...that takes place in a class action." Murray says he is personally surprised by the number of women who have come forward. "We've had everything from people who feel that they have been passed over for a promotion or they've experienced slight difficulty all the way through the range of experience to people who have alleged that they've experienced either physical or sexual assault during their time on the force," he says.

None of the allegations has been proven in court. Merlo spent 19 years as a Mountie in Nanaimo and claims she endured persistent gender-based discrimination and harassment. Hers is one of several lawsuits launched against the RCMP after former E-Division spokesperson, Cpl. Catherine Galliford, claimed she was sexually harassed on the job for years and sued the force. Galliford, who spoke for the RCMP during the Air India probe and the Robert Pickton serial murder investigation, says the stress of the harassment led her to abuse alcohol and develop mental health problems.

Source: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... ainst-rcmp

Hmm... I guess those must be the 200 feminist-dyke-terrorists, without "the inner strength"...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

My guess most of it is frivolous play in the office, but the more serious charges need addressed.
The suit will really cost the tax payers .
I hope they make some major policy changes from all that mess.
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

To Serve and Protect

Of course they will... how about a death sentence for the whistle blowers?
Sorry, but looking at the RCMP handling things in just the past decade -> I have no more trust left...
And about as much "respect" as Becon brothers...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

To Serve and Protect

They need an outside group over them, who would pick them out :pardon:
I do know lawsuits is the only way anymore to get something done, hit them in the pocket.
The shame is it's our money from both sides.