GMO Foods

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Dagon
"VIP Member"
"VIP Member"

Re: GMO Foods

Oh man! You got to love these guys - it could come straight from the Joseph Goebbels' desk. What I love the most is that none of these "humanitarians" have asked these "poorest of the poor" (f-k me - it is his own terminology!) think about GMOs in the first place. No one seems to be mentioning the fact that they yield 0.5-0.7 amount of natural crops from the same land...

Beddington: GM protests threaten world's poor

Attempts to hamper the development of GM crops threaten the future of the poorest of the poor, the government's chief scientist has said. Professor Sir John Beddington said GM crops were needed to meet increased demand for food over the next 15 years. He made his comments as demonstrators gathered to protest against the planting of GM wheat in open fields at Rothamsted research institute, Herts. Professor Beddington said that a more rational debate was needed.

"We have to think about the future," he told BBC News. "The future is really quite frightening. We are going to see enormous increases in the demand for GM food and who's going to suffer when the food prices go up? The answer is the poorest of the poor". Professor Beddington is the government's most senior scientific adviser. In recent years he's drawn attention to the consequences of a combination of climate change, water shortages, changing land use and a growing population conspiring to create what he describes as a "perfect storm".

He believes this "storm" could threaten the health and welfare of hundreds of millions of people in coming years. He believes that science and technology can avert a catastrophe and that GM crops should not be ruled out as a means of boosting food production. An independent report commissioned by Professor Beddington found that two billion people were malnourished. The Foresight Food and Farming report concluded that there would be problems in meeting increased demand for food by a growing population.

"In 13 years there will be another billion people on the planet - half of those people will be living in Africa," said Prof Beddington."So how are we going to feed them? GM isn't going to feed them all. It's not going to solve the problem instantly. But it's part of the sort of developments we are going to need to use to address some of these formidable problems."It's one of a set of technologies that we are going to need to use which gives us some hope of solving some of these enormous problems."

Professor Beddington said that 13 years ago, when protests against GM crops were at their height, there were genuine uncertainties about GM crops. But since then, he said, testing regimes had been developed to mitigate any risks to human health or to the environment. "Our current system of agriculture, which involves enormous use of pesticides and enormous use of fertiliser, is not going to be sustainable," he said.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18215022

Looks to me, like someone's bank account needs to be checked...

sent from my desktop using a keyboard
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Pest control in plants foods that are introduced isn't natural no matter how GM spins it.
I think GM foods has a place, but not without years of testing by an outside group that isn't bought by anyone but the consumers.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have been seeing all this stuff against Organic lately, I figured Monsanto was behind it.

[youtube][video][/video][/youtube]
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

I know, they're trying to replace all the natural food that grows on this planet I reckon, b/c they can't claim ownership of it, or patent it, so no control. The GM rubbish, their motive is to end up owning all the food. I doubt it's about producing more crops to help the world, they don't give a rat's... it's about pushing the price right up and holding us all hostage to it... total control. When are we gonna stop them. They're hell bent on turning the whole planet into Frankenstein's hell. Those seeds cost a lot more, it's blackmail... if Monsanto get control, they're a filthy seed pimp... it's perverse. All I see coming is more starvation, people won't be able to afford the GM peddlers seed hostage release rates, especially in Africa.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I would have said that, but you did a better job.
Here about all our produced foods are GMO, not much isn't in some way .
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

On Wednesday's show, Director of the Institute for Responsible Technology, and the leading spokesperson on the health dangers of genetically modified foods, Jeffrey Smith discussed evidence that GMO foods are contributing to health problems in those who consume them. Crops such as corn, soybeans, cotton, and sugar beets are now primarily genetically modified, and a lot of the corn and soybean in particular goes into animal feed. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine reviewed studies of lab animals being fed GM foods and reported that the diet was causing problems with their immune, reproductive, and gastrointestinal systems, contributing to organ damage, and they were aging faster, Smith reported. "We see similar categories improving in pets and livestock when they get off GMOs," but for humans that are increasingly eating such foods, these kinds of problems are on the rise, he noted.

The big player in the GMO industry is Monsanto. They embarked on the process in 2000, when their popular weedkiller Round Up was going off patent, so they developed patented seeds that would only work with Round Up, Smith explained. Among the symptoms associated with GMO consumption are fatigue, allergies, weight problems, infertility, stomach issues, and migraines, he noted, adding that doctors who've prescribed non-GMO foods to their patients say that GMOs cause inflammation and increase allergic responses. One doctor in Chicago said that 100% of her patients get better on non-GMO diets, he cited. Smith recommends the Non-GMO Shopping Guide as a resource for avoiding such risky foods.

On the November ballot in California is Prop. 37, an initiative that if passed would require companies to label their foods as genetically engineered if they use GMOs. Such labeling already is in place in 49 countries, and is desired by 91% of Americans, said Smith. 19 other US states considered such legislation but Monsanto threatened lawsuits, and got the efforts stalled. Monsanto and others have amassed $27 million for a huge TV campaign against Prop. 37 that they are about to launch, he detailed. Smith sees Prop. 37 as a great first step, and hopes that if it passes, companies will remove GMOs from their products on their own accord, since many consumers won't buy them, if they're labeled as such.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I was reading on that, and the dangers of poisons in our foods yesterday.
Came accros some interesting stuff on bleached flower, and dies.
apparently white bread, and stuff with the flower causes Diabetes, and thyroid issues.
many dies are made from petroleum products as well as in the fertilizers .
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

I never eat white bread. Always whole wheat.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have been eating it my whole life, but really little choice.
What your parents put before you that's what you eat.
bromine, alloxin, and fungicides in it will kill you slowly.
The alloxin messes up your pancreas making you have diabetes, and other health issues.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I try not to eat white bread anymore, but the flower is in a lot of stuff I do eat.
If it's not that it's soy, cottonseed oil, and other stuff .
Sharlee
Elite Member
Elite Member

When my daughter was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, white flour is one of the things that the doctors warned us about. Actually, whole wheat flour is only marginally better .... ideally, the more you avoid flour, the better.
Wag more, bark less.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Whole grain is better if it has the wheat germ, and other stuff they usually feed to the pigs.
But yeah not good in ways.

Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

OMG, the evil of Monsanto... evil buggers are quite happy for us all to eat their rubbish that makes us ill so they can make a vast profit. Never mind, them being so concerned at this, they probably have a stake in the pharma companies and sell us their medicines to make us all better. Double customers, double revenue... how clever.

They're poisoning us all. :angry: You can actually see that a lot of humans don't look like they used to years ago. With all this modern living, good food, clean water, good medical we have now and people seem more ill than they've ever been.
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Flour, it's quite hard to avoid flour really, I'm gonna try. Wonder if it's better to buy organic and just make your own cakes and bread and what not, when you fancy something that needs cooking with flour.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Same with bleached rice also Twilight, same stuff applies .
It's hard to eat good anymore, and healthy stuff, it's so expensive.
Registered Guest
"Mr. ICONIC"
"Mr. ICONIC"

Blue Frost wrote:Same with bleached rice also Twilight, same stuff applies .
We will have red and green grapes this fall.

The vines are loaded this year.

A little tlc in the spring and summer, and here they are.
I don't concern myself, with other peoples thoughts. They can think what they want, and grind it around in their head. I always get a good nights rest. They however, are exhausted, thinking about me. My trade mark, :laugh: :laugh:
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

yummy, I wish my vines lived, they died out two years after planting .
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

Blue Frost wrote:Same with bleached rice also Twilight, same stuff applies .
Rice isn't bleached I didn't think, I thought it grew as white rice. :think:
I bought a loaf of brown wholemeal bread today, to start a few improvements.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yeah rice is bleached, to bad it isn't white.
I think some of the long grain rice taste pretty good.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Rice grown naturally in Asia must be white. They can't be bleached. Why would they bleach rice, it's pointless, unless it's to make us unhealthy.