China, 23 years ago today

General talk, and discussion.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Tiananmen Square, Then and Now
Jun 4, 2012

Twenty-three years ago today, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) violently cleared Beijing's Tiananmen Square of protesters, ending a six-week demonstration that had called for democracy and widespread political reform. The protests began in April of 1989, gaining support as initial government reactions included concessions. Martial law was declared on May 20, troops were mobilized, and from the night of June 3 through the early morning of June 4, the PLA pushed into Tiananmen Square, crushing some protesters and firing on many others. The exact number killed may never be known, but estimates range from several hundred to several thousand. Today, China's censors are blocking Internet access to the terms "six four," "23," "candle," and "never forget," broadening extensive efforts to silence talk about the 23rd anniversary of China's bloody June 4 crackdown. Here is that story, in images and words, Please share it widely

More photos http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012 ... ow/100311/

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

So many died for a little freedom, I hope the kids today, and young adults realize the sacrifice.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Twilight turtle
VIP Member.
VIP Member.

I remember that. :( Doesn't seem like that long ago...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Seems fresh in my mind, just think how the people that was there feels.
Shen Li

The Tianamen incident was a game changer in China`s development and still controversial in China(many of the players are still alive). I was 4 years old at the time and living in the Southern city of Shenzhen. My Grandpa who recently passed away was a General in the People`s Liberation Army. He had been reassigned to Beijing in April of 89. What my Grandpa saw or what his "assignment" was I do not know. He never spoke of it to either me or my Mother(his daughter).
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Sad to here about your Grandpa, I never knew mine. I hope it didn't torture him like it might being his own people.
I wonder myself all the time how someone would go to war with ones own people.
I'm sure in China like many places most do as told or pays the price themselves, and maybe their family.
Here the media, and government turns people into the other, I guess that's suppose to make it more easy.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I am glad they lightened up a little, best thing that ever happen for the country after Mao took charge .
They could do more though link most places, even here. .
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

DocWatson likes these topics.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Doc knows a lot, but not here to add his comments.
He also is very vocal against the red army, which is warranted in many ways.
This is about the good people though, the ones that wanted some freedom, and the boot off their necks.
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:Sad to here about your Grandpa, I never knew mine. I hope it didn't torture him like it might being his own people.
I wonder myself all the time how someone would go to war with ones own people.
I'm sure in China like many places most do as told or pays the price themselves, and maybe their family.
Here the media, and government turns people into the other, I guess that's suppose to make it more easy.
It was a very, very small group that took part in the Tianamen incident. It`s highly unlikely my Grandpa even knew about it let alone was in the square when it happened. My Granpa never discussed anything he did in his career....I believe officers weren`t allowed to divulge that info.

It was a pivotal monent in China`s recent development. What many people don`t know is that one of the precursors to Tianamen was Chinese male opposition to African students dating Chinese women...I`m serious here!!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I remember all that in the news, the studant had to run from town
Shen Li

Some in the West tend to romanticize the many riots of 89 in China as people seeking some egalitarian Western social democratic dream. Unfortunately, it wasn`t exactly the truth. Racism/xenophobia/nationalism were rampant. In many ways the crackdown(brutal as it was) may have saved China from something far warse than the moderate CCP and it`s emphasis on stability.

[quote]From December 1988 to January 1989, students in Nanjing, China waged violent protests against visiting African students. These protests became the precursor to the nationwide pro-democracy movement in the spring of 1989, which resulted in the massacre of Chinese students by armed troops in Tiananmen Square. Displaying an uneven combination of racial tension, nationalism, and reformism, the Nanjing protests fused mass hostility toward visiting African students with official nationalist discourse to create the momentum for a popular movement for political change. At the same time, they marked the denouement of China
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I agree, the media always builds it up more, and it did get the leadership to lighten up some .
I know about a lot of groups, and peoples wanting more reform .
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

What gets me is the US, and other countries want to push policy on China when we here are taking rights away every day .
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:I agree, the media always builds it up more, and it did get the leadership to lighten up some .
I know about a lot of groups, and peoples wanting more reform .
This is what many Westerners don`t understand. Many "reformers" in China would be considered "fascist". There are many reformers who are not of course, but if either side gained the upper hand China would descend into chaos. For the time being and as much as it pains me, the CCP is the least bad option.
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:What gets me is the US, and other countries want to push policy on China when we here are taking rights away every day .
Every time Western governments/big NGO`s criticize China it plays right into the hands of the ultra-nationalists. If you want to push the CCP away from reform Westerners should just keep sticking their unwanted noses into China`s internal affairs.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Well most people don't realize China isn't basic Chinese all over, it's a lot of ethnicity.
Many don't want what the others want.
LOL it's so hard to keep everyone happy
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:Well most people don't realize China isn't basic Chinese all over, it's a lot of ethnicity.
Many don't want what the others want.
LOL it's so hard to keep everyone happy
It`s over 90% Han(like me), but the government says there are 56 ethnic groups, no This is why sot to mention the rural/urban divide. This why social cohesion is priority one.

Bluey, you`re soooooo right about being hard to please everyone. One they do not care about pleasing are outsiders(mostly Westerners).
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Maybe Han in name, but there was many others considering regional .

I did a little studying years back of the three warring states , you know much about history there :) anything interesting .
Shen Li

Blue Frost wrote:Maybe Han in name, but there was many others considering regional .

I did a little studying years back of the three warring states , you know much about history there :) anything interesting .
I was born in Hubei province, but went to Shenzhen as a baby and to Canada in grade 3. My parents speak a dialect, but we are still Han and still use "putonghua".

My favourite period in China`s glorious history is the Tang dynasty.