Re: Tech Talk

General talk, and discussion.
Mel Gibson

Re: Re: Tech Talk

You just know shit's gonna get expensive when a house tent and HazMat suits are required...

Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm not sure how it works there, but here you need to get a permit also.
The needs isn't just all that, you need a way of disposing of it, throwing it in the trash isn't going to work with the law.
It is considered a hazardous material after all.

You proper ventilation, bags, and cleanup after all that because you can't leave the dust even.
If you don't own the property just move, or do not disturb the stuff.
Being in windy areas you know it's entering your house, or apartment anyhow, older buildings are not even close to being sealed.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I love the Ice cream, it reminds me of the Garbage Pail Kids

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:36 pm I'm not sure how it works there, but here you need to get a permit also.
The needs isn't just all that, you need a way of disposing of it, throwing it in the trash isn't going to work with the law.
It is considered a hazardous material after all.

You proper ventilation, bags, and cleanup after all that because you can't leave the dust even.
If you don't own the property just move, or do not disturb the stuff.
Being in windy areas you know it's entering your house, or apartment anyhow, older buildings are not even close to being sealed.
It's much easier here... Homeowners here can simply bag their asbestos without permit, and bring the bags to an asbestos accepting landfill.

Easy Peasy! Canada does not fear the asbestos!

That said, companies employing people to remove asbestos as a business would have higher required standards such as masks for their employees, large quantity asbestos removal manifests, etc... shit like that.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I'm sure a lot of people here have done that, but the code, and regulations want more.
Personally I would research, and do it myself, but a tent lol, I wouldn't do all that.
I would be concerned with after the stuff is gone, you know it's on everything, and in the air.
The best thing is leave it alone, and seal it away if you can, the bad is at least here you have to tell the next buyer if you remember such things,
Mel Gibson

I would think you probably could deal effectively with the asbestos dust with a quality HEPA vacuum cleaner, as long as you were thorough. They're good for mold too!

They could probably be rented if you didn't want to buy one...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

You have to clean the walls, and everything, also your heating system should be shut off, and sealed before working on the area.
People worked in those plants for years, and got cancer, I know it's not as bad as that, but still way take the risk on the stuff.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

We had a new bathroom fan installed. The guy had to go up into the ceiling from my bedroom. There was all this white foam stuff that fell. I hope it wasn't toxic. I picked them up with my bare hands.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

That sounds like spray foam, it's toxic if you eat it so don't eat it. :laugh:
I hope I'm right, and that's what it is.
Mel Gibson

Reverse Flash wrote: November 27th, 2020, 8:44 pm We had a new bathroom fan installed. The guy had to go up into the ceiling from my bedroom. There was all this white foam stuff that fell. I hope it wasn't toxic. I picked them up with my bare hands.
You'll be dead in two weeks. If you don't have your affairs in order, now is the time to do so.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

asbestos is a fibrous material, kind of like insulation, but compact, and white, or gray.
it's actually a silicate rock they dig up.
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: November 28th, 2020, 2:18 am asbestos is a fibrous material, kind of like insulation, but compact, and white, or gray.
Most ceiling insulation containing asbestos would probably be Zonolite though, and it looks more like little pellets. Not really a huge problem to be honest, unless you somehow created a dust out of it and breathed it in!
Odinson
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mel Gibson wrote: November 28th, 2020, 2:48 am
Blue Frost wrote: November 28th, 2020, 2:18 am asbestos is a fibrous material, kind of like insulation, but compact, and white, or gray.
Most ceiling insulation containing asbestos would probably be Zonolite though, and it looks more like little pellets. Not really a huge problem to be honest, unless you somehow created a dust out of it and breathed it in!
Could you give me a link to your forum?

I have lost it.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Mel Gibson wrote: November 28th, 2020, 2:48 am
Vermiculite is the little pellets also, it's not good to breath either, and causes cancer.
I'm not sure what they use there, or did use, but here it's cellulose, and fiberglass mostly.
Back before maybe 1975 not many homes where built with insulation here.
I would like spray foam in the walls, but haven't found anyone reasonable, and trustworthy to use the right kind.
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: November 28th, 2020, 11:21 am Could you give me a link to your forum?

I have lost it.
I can! https://theroadhouse.online/

Usually not much action there though...
Mel Gibson

Blue Frost wrote: November 28th, 2020, 6:16 pm I'm not sure what they use there, or did use, but here it's cellulose, and fiberglass mostly.
Back before maybe 1975 not many homes where built with insulation here.
I would like spray foam in the walls, but haven't found anyone reasonable, and trustworthy to use the right kind.
Most homes here use your typical fiberglass batting in the walls, like Pink Panther. I've seen this used on attic floors as well, but the attic in this house has loose fiberglass insulation that was blown in by a blower machine.

No doubt this insulation is the most common because it's the cheapest way to insulate!

Interior walls are rarely insulated, but I think it's a good idea to do so for sound insulation. There's a small part of the basement that isn't quite finished, and I will throw some fiberglass batting between the studs before I board up the walls.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have the only room in the house that's insulated, and I'm in a basement, it gets quite cool, or hot when the rest of the house is warm, or freezing.
I really would want spray foam in a house if I could have it, it's the best at closing a cavity, and stays that way where batting doesn't.
I've blown in insulation in places, after a few years it needs replaced, and is blown around by attic air it there is ventilation in there.
One church I did it totally vanished after about a decade.
Mel Gibson

Odinson wrote: November 28th, 2020, 11:21 am Could you give me a link to your forum?

I have lost it.
I'll have to update: I think my forum is done... It's up for renewal at the end of the month, and I thought I'd try one last time to get it properly hosted on the server root... C-Panel "Quick Install" wasn't allowing me to do what I needed in terms of mods to the forum. Finally managed to upload the software with FTP to where I believe it should work in the root, but my browser isn't picking it up to install it. What works for others in online tutorials isn't working for me. Every single thing fights me along the way...

Long story short, I gave it one final effort, and even considered paying a company for some guidance with setup, but what's the point really? While I appreciate every single poster that visited, when Russian spammers outnumber them 2 to 1, you see what I'm getting at... Then to pay for another year of hosting for only a very few posters that post there, not sure I can justify it. I don't have any help on the technical side of things either, so it gets frustrating fucking around with it for hours, only to not work.

At least I did try though! But the forums and the posters have been too fragmented for too long for my forum to gain much steam... It was up for almost a year, so plenty of time to see how things would flow!

It was mainly created so I had a place to post, since I was shitcanned from everywhere else! :laugh: But realistically I can post at tons of other places if I want to, without the headache and expense of maintaining my small board...
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I am not savvy at it, or I would say i would help Mel, I have actually forgotten all I did know.
It's the case if you don't do it often you forget unfortunately.
With this forum soon after I got going I had two major issues com up,I lost everything, and had to start again.
In some cases I had to put in request on phpbb, and the server.
It didn't cost anything but time, but was really stressful.

I do wish i could help you.
Mel Gibson

Ya, it's not as intuitive as people think... I believe the phpBB files were uploaded correctly, but I think the issue lies with the host. Every host is different, so watching a tutorial for one doesn't exactly apply to another! And they are all known to give pretty shitty tutorials! They really do expect one to have sound knowledge beforehand!

I don't think it's a huge loss though... Why spend time and money on a forum with such a small handful of posters? It might be a different story if it was busy and I was pulling in ad revenue, but that will never happen!