The Bee Crisis

In search of truth, the mysterious, and bizarre. Gary rules here.
Forum rules
Civil discussion appreciated. No Spam...
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

The Bee Crisis

We have lost a the beautiful bumblebee species in the lower mainland area. the one with the white fur at the end of it's abdomen. I recently saw a subspecies of this subspecies in Panoka and have see it also in Rocky Mountain House and in another twon as well whose name has escaped me. Coincidentally a British bumblebee species with white hair also on the end of it's abdomen also had disappeared and a cousin of it from Sweden is being introduced

Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: The Bee Crisis

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... L_artNew_1

This Monsanto appears to be one dangerous corperation. This roundup is also being absorbed by humans who eat these genetically altered crops and I doubt that there is anything healthy about this either
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Very sad, I miss all the bees I used to see as a kid.
Phone towers, pollution, Monsanto's pesticide filled crops, Yard pesticides, parasites, noise even, it all plays into them dying off.
I am seeing a species here few in number right now starting to take their place, at least i hope something does besides the flies.
"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The Bee Crisis

Speaking of bees :(

"Being alone isn't what hurts. It's when the people around you make you feel alone" ~ Naruto Uzumaki, an Anime Character
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Some people are bird watchers. I am a bee watcher
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have like 35 birdhouses in my yard, likely more before years end :)
I'm allergic to bees, but I love them, and think they are so cool how they work together .
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Birdwatching is something that I want to get into. There are so many species though to be remembered.When I see a brightly coloured one I always wished I knew what species it is. Birds of prey such as owls always catch my eye.Birds are verysmart and their memory is amazing, One seagull hadn't seen me for 10 months and when I showed up one morning at around 6:00AM it was right there to get a Mcdonalds muffin as it had been often a year earlier
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I have mostly finch, and a few Robins, but I get all kinds Golden hawks is the biggest I get.
We used to have a few Bard Owls around, but the housing pushed them out, and the brats on motorbikes running them in their habitat.
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ontario couple faces

This is another type of bee crisis

Ontario couple faces
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Poor people, and bees, what a shame, but at least the bees will live if the queen is saved.
Most the time they kill all the bees, and the honey is wasted.
Tribrid Vampire
The Phenomenal One
The Phenomenal One

Years ago, our first summer in richmond. All these winged ants were hanging around our backyard. The townhouse had a glass door that go from the living to the backyard. They were able to squeeze through into the living room through a tiny gap. I taped the gap and they still came through. My mom lit newspaper on fire and sent them a message. The next morning they were nowhere to be seen. I have never seen ants with wings before. They couldn't fly. Problems like these need to be dealt with early.

I don't get why they only have one queen. Dumb dumb.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Some ants with wings only have them for a day then die after trying to mate, most fail so they take it out on you :laugh:
I have seen them before.
Likely they was carpenter ants.

Hey you know a wasp is a form of ant, or more an offshoot .
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Wasps,bees and ants are part of the same family All wasps are wasps, all bee species are bees and all ant species are ants. Termites are related to cockroaches.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

Yeah true, I knew that about the roach also .
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vancouver has lost a bumblebee species. The one with the white hair on the end of it's abdomen. I have however noticed alot more of this subspecies all over Alberta from Rocky Mountian house,to High Prairie to Saskathewn. Maybe it's possible that somewhere on the west coast this subspecies is still holding out from whatever it is that has killed them around the lower mainland
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I hate to see the bees vanish, it's so sad that it's got that bad that some may never come back.
I have seen more bees this year here than I have in a few, maybe they are on a come back here, I don't see how though with the pollution, and poisons floating around .
Shen Li

Bees being stolen, who would`ve thunk it? Maybe manufacturers in China will start building anti-theft clubs(like for cars) for beehives!!
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

The Bee Crisis

The owner said it had to be someone that knew bees, and had the equipment for a big operation.
48 colonies took a big truck

One was stolen in Houston also http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 44612.html
Gary Oak
VIP Member
VIP Member

I remember being in Borneo and seeing the dwarf honeybees,the gigantic honeybees [ over andinch long and in the lower elevations only ] and the huge black carpenter bees which are about three inches long,and inch and a half wide with about a six inch wingspan. The juingle honey really tasted good though the chinese sell fake honey in Malaysia as they do in China. There also was a dwarf honeybee nest right on Nathan Road in Hong Kong that I doubt anybody knew about but me.

I saw a huge and over and inch long and about a third of an inch wide. I don't know if it's solitary species or belonged to a colony. I tried to follow it back to it's nest but didn't have enough time.
Blue Frost
SUPER VIP
SUPER VIP

I was watching some yesterday, and a black butterfly :) they work constantly getting nectar, and go to every flower .